Such a dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodiex

Reaction score
So.. This week I've moved into a sunbed shop which offers nails and other beauty treatments. I mainly do lash extensions and that's my job in the salon. My cousin does all the nails and she's said I'm not allowed to do nails there as that's her thing..

What do I do? Do I carry on doing nails mobile or do I sell my stuff? I want to carry on but how do I go about advertising without stealing her clients? She doesn't do acrylic.. Which I do, and I don't really like doing hard gel, which is her thing?

Mehhhh stressing :( xx

If your still keeping up your Mobile clients then I don't see why you should have to stop doing them, especially if you enjoy doing nails :)

If your still keeping up your Mobile clients then I don't see why you should have to stop doing them, especially if you enjoy doing nails :)

Yeah well I would definitely keep existing but I want to build up new ones too. I'll probably do 2 late evenings in the shop then I'd want to do 2 late evenings for nails too. Mehhhhhh x

If you're cousin doesn't do acrylic why aren't you allowed to do acrylic in the salon? That's a bit mean of her? Anyway, I wouldnt give up mobile if you enjoy it!

Some things to consider:
- Did you agree to this arrangement BEFORE you moved into this salon?
- Is she your employer or is she an employee/renter on similar terms as yourself?
- Does the salon owner know everything that you have to offer?
- How is it that she dictates what you can and cannot do?
- Were you brought in to compliment her services?
- Is the business growing? Perhaps there may be a demand for what you offer and what she doesn't.
- Is your cousin being territorial or feeling threatened? if so, that is her problem, not yours.
- Is she being fair to you as well as the other therapists or is she a workplace bully?

Lastly... You are number one. You have to look out for yourself and your career and you should not let anyone hold you back. Of course there are tactful ways to deal with politics in the workplace and I don't know the whole story. If you really want to continue to do nails and there is a demand for it, you really should go for it whether it is in the salon or mobile. Maybe this is not where you will truly be happy and blossom!

Let us know how you fare... best of luck.

Latest posts

Back