Sulphate free shampoo for extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
Hi all,

On a hair extension course I have done the trainers recommend 'sulphate free shampoo'.

I have extensions myself and have had since November last year, same hair. My technician recommend Aussie Shampoo. I have used that for quite a while, and it's been fine, but when I went on my hair extension training and I told them I used it, they looked at me like I had three heads!

Now when I have done two sets of hair extensions so far since my training and the ladies always ask me what I use! I don't want to get into a 'do as I say, not as I do' situation but I really don't see any issue with the Aussie shampoo.

What is everyone's advice on this? What on the shelf brands do people recommend? And why does the shampoo have to be sulphate free? x

You shouldn't really use aussie for your own hair so definitely not for extensions!

A good professional shampoo is fine.

i can definitely tell the difference with my own extensions when i use a sulphate free. I even use it when i don't have my extensions in as it cleans my hair so well and styles alot better as it doesn't weigh the hair down. There's loads of different brands available so you don't have to spend loads. x

Sulfate are notorious for stripping oil from the hair. As extensions are already 'dead' hair and no longer connected to an oil source, using sulfate shampoos makes manageability harder, since you need to add moisture back to the hair. It can lead to breakage, tangling and knots. So using sulfate free just helps to minimize the issue and many are moisturizing as well so that is helps the overall process.

Any time I have used sulfate free products it seem to dry the hair out more! I have used aussie a few times and its been great and kept the hair silky and soft. I think the sulfate is being replaced with another ingredient that does more damage! I have seen the difference so I now advise my clients to keep away from it!

i can definitely tell the difference with my own extensions when i use a sulphate free. I even use it when i don't have my extensions in as it cleans my hair so well and styles alot better as it doesn't weigh the hair down. There's loads of different brands available so you don't have to spend loads. x
Which do you recommend? I would like to go in store and be able to get one and then recommend that to my clients x

I use the Moroccanoil hydrating shampoo+conditioner and the clarifying once a week it's brilliant and smells so good sulphate and paraben free I believe X

Any time I have used sulfate free products it seem to dry the hair out more! I have used aussie a few times and its been great and kept the hair silky and soft. I think the sulfate is being replaced with another ingredient that does more damage! I have seen the difference so I now advise my clients to keep away from it!

It's probably a highly silacone content you can feel making your hair silky soft not sulphate

Agree I don't like sulphate / sulfate free shampoos!! I get my clients to buy the recommended after care from the supplier. Used Aussie it works very well.

Aussie is not a professional brand. Let's keep this forum professional please!

Aussie is not a professional brand. Let's keep this forum professional please!
What do you mean it's not a professional brand?

I use the joico colour endure sulphate free & retail to my clients, I find this is a really nice shampoo I also like to use matrix biolayge exquisite oil for adding moisture back in as a weekly treatment & use unquie 10 for heat protection/protein/etc. all these can be found at Alan Howard's wholesalers they have a great selection. I've also seen matrix do a clarifying shampoo I'd like to try this

Aussie products are OTC products. Professional do not use OTC in their business. We don't discuss products that you can buy from the supermarket or chemist. It's strictly professional.

Osmo do a sulphate free range.

Aussie products are OTC products. Professional do not use OTC in their business. We don't discuss products that you can buy from the supermarket or chemist. It's strictly professional.

Osmo do a sulphate free range.
oh okay, I see! I didn't realise this.

matrix keratindose is sulphate free x

You can buy it in the supermarket/boots etc.

Products with salon exclusivity are usually professional brands. Eg Joico, Tigi, L'Oreal Professionnel. Etc etc.

Has anyone used L'Oreal EverPure range? Thoughts will be much appreciated. X

You can buy it in the supermarket/boots etc.

Products with salon exclusivity are usually professional brands. Eg Joico, Tigi, L'Oreal Professionnel. Etc etc.
ah okay, thank you!

use organic products that only contain natural ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Xtend shampoo & conditioner formulated especially for extensions the argan oil they do IS AMAZING I also use TIGI BEDHEAD colour godess which has oils in it these make a great combo on my extensions so far and everyone has been commenting on the shine and softness of my hair ( both when people grab at my real hair and extensions LOL )

Latest posts

Back