Sulphate free shampoo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loreal herbal range

Well, whatever anyone says, I have seen the results on my clients who have switched from sulfate containing shampoos to sulfate free. I myself use sulfate free and wont touch anything with sulfates in anymore, and this is one of the reasons my hair is in such good condition even though i have a fair amount of bleach on the ends. Clients using sulfate free have experience less tangles, less dryness and you can feel the improvement- i.e. one with a lot of bleach on her hair used to get into a matted mess every time every time it was wet, but after using sulfate free we could get a comb through it no problem. Plus my colour sticks for ages (directions etc) and i wash my hair every day.

I formulate my own natural hair care but I used to use Faith In Nature and would highly recommend them :) on the site you can use the chart to determine which shampoo/conditioner are going to be a good match to your or your clients hair! When I get my hair qualifications I will be using that brand till I get my own hair care safety assessed etc :)

Ok can I throw this in as a consumer? I opted to use Osmo SULPHATE FREE colour mission shampoo, conditioner and intensive masque on my dry, coloured hair but even after 4 weeks of using (wash my hair twice a week) it made not one single bit of difference to my dry hair. I then started using L'oreal Elvive full restore shampoo, conditioner and deep masque bought from boots and the results have been amazing - I actually have shiny hair for the first time in my life! So why would the sulphate containing one outperform the sulphate free one if sulphates are so bad?
Just genuinely confused by this???

Tigi Sleek Mysique is really nice.;)

Ok can I throw this in as a consumer? I opted to use Osmo SULPHATE FREE colour mission shampoo, conditioner and intensive masque on my dry, coloured hair but even after 4 weeks of using (wash my hair twice a week) it made not one single bit of difference to my dry hair. I then started using L'oreal Elvive full restore shampoo, conditioner and deep masque bought from boots and the results have been amazing - I actually have shiny hair for the first time in my life! So why would the sulphate containing one outperform the sulphate free one if sulphates are so bad?
Just genuinely confused by this???

Heya Hun, the one from boots will most likely have a lot of silicone in that is where your shine is coming from, but the full restore would be more suited im sure their colour protect one wouldnt have done much the same.

I personally don't believe sulphate free to be massively better than salon pro sulphate containing ones, however they are 100% better than none salon pro ones. Sulphate is damaging to the hair shaft itself as its an abrasive chemical (im lead to believe), i personally don't rate osmo (never used enough of them to comment) however colour mission would not have been the best for your dry hair, the intensive masque should have been though unless it was an intensive masque for coloured hair not dry hair.

I'd personally advise you to try joico kpak range. Amazing, and then when your hair is back to healthy condition swap to colour endure. Your hair sounds like it needs a lot of tlc and the proteins and amino acids replacing, you will not get that from boots, but a product that appears too by putting a coating on your hair, however the dry damaged hair is still there underneath :(

Other ranges i have used in the past and rate well for dry hair are matrix hydrating or ultra hydrating depending on your hair texture and thickness too, wella enrich shampoo, cond, and treatments. I used to use these on my extensions (as that's over processed hair) and theyre lovely, my own hair is normal thickness and condition though so they are too heavy for my own hair, joico I find suits both as it only replaces amino acids where they are lost (the extensions or ends of my hair) so win win.

Heya Hun, the one from boots will most likely have a lot of silicone in that is where your shine is coming from, but the full restore would be more suited im sure their colour protect one wouldnt have done much the same.

I personally don't believe sulphate free to be massively better than salon pro sulphate containing ones, however they are 100% better than none salon pro ones. Sulphate is damaging to the hair shaft itself as its an abrasive chemical (im lead to believe), i personally don't rate osmo (never used enough of them to comment) however colour mission would not have been the best for your dry hair, the intensive masque should have been though unless it was an intensive masque for coloured hair not dry hair.

I'd personally advise you to try joico kpak range. Amazing, and then when your hair is back to healthy condition swap to colour endure. Your hair sounds like it needs a lot of tlc and the proteins and amino acids replacing, you will not get that from boots, but a product that appears too by putting a coating on your hair, however the dry damaged hair is still there underneath :(

Other ranges i have used in the past and rate well for dry hair are matrix hydrating or ultra hydrating depending on your hair texture and thickness too, wella enrich shampoo, cond, and treatments. I used to use these on my extensions (as that's over processed hair) and theyre lovely, my own hair is normal thickness and condition though so they are too heavy for my own hair, joico I find suits both as it only replaces amino acids where they are lost (the extensions or ends of my hair) so win win.

That's a brilliant explanation thank you :)
Thought it was too good to be true so it makes sense if its only the silicones giving me the shine. I will try the joico range you advise.
Thanks ever so much

I'be recently started using osmo silvering sulfate free shampoo and my hair is really greasy when drying and that's without any conditioner, help!! X

Can anyone recommend a good sulphate free shampoo and conditioner to stop colour fading? ie redken, tigi or any others you can think of??

Well back to beginning, Tigi did a bed head one , I used to use it volumising, using an Osmo one at moment which doesn't weigh my hair down and smells yummy xx

I 💗alterna

I'm not a hair geek but I've been using fudge smooth shot shampoo and condition.
My hair is sooo soft and easy to comb through after washing. Somehow, I find it drys quicker too. ..
I picked it because on the label I couldn't see any sulfates ( I hope they aren't disguised under another name though! )

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes they are, I never said they weren't. They're also in food! What I said was they have a history of over 90 years being used safely in consumption and cosmetics.

Where as the sneaky replacement synthetics they put in 'SLS FREE' and 'Paraben free' products do not have a history if safe use, and no long term effects are know about them! If you remove a vital ingredient from a formulation, it'll need to be replaced with something else!

It's all marketing, marketing, marketing.

Honestly, read the ingredient list of a 'SLS free' shampoo, I guarantee you'll still see the sulphites on the list, just renamed.

Aveda is 100% paraben free right across their hair makeup and skin ranges. They use a foaming agent derived from the Babasu but found in Brazil and some use meadow foam. Both natural foaming agents. They were launched in 1978 and have always been paraben and sls free.

Aveda is 100% paraben free right across their hair makeup and skin ranges. They use a foaming agent derived from the Babasu but found in Brazil and some use meadow foam. Both natural foaming agents. They were launched in 1978 and have always been paraben and sls free.

Babasu nut sorry.

Latest posts

Back