Sun bed - regulations help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair2012e

Reaction score
Hi

I've just purchased a 2nd hand sun tan symphony sun bed which I will be installing in my salon very soon. I have searched for rules and regulations for the sun beds and the only thing that I can see that I need to stand by is that no under 18s can use it, maximum of 12 mins at a time and to use 0.3 tubes. Just wondering if anyone else has anymore advise when it comes to sun beds. I have public liability insurance but do I need to get separate insurance for the sun bed? How often it needs servicing etc... Thanks

Hi
We offer a salon policy where you can cover your contents, business interruption, money, glass and liabilities and add cover for up to 3 sunbeds for very reasonable rates. If you'd like a quotation please either give us a call on 0345 605 8670 or you can do a quote online by visiting www.professionalbeautydirect.co.uk
Best wishes
The Professional Beauty Direct Team

Hi Hair2012e,

You seem to be really prepared and have done your homework on this. Just some more advisory, technicians should provide each client with relevant information regarding their skin tone as well due to the increase in skin cancer over recent years. We know they did look at introducing the ban of 'unmanned' sunbeds, however, you would need to check if this has come to light, as it stands.

As a software provider, we do actually have additional "features" that help in covering your salon with regards to sunbed regulations.These include the use of the computerised signature pad, which means every client has to agree to the terms and conditions of your salon before using sunbeds such as advising you if they are pregnant or under-aged etc. With the council becoming more vigilant, you can produce your documents immediately from your system that all clients tan safe, should your property be investigated.

We also provide users with a flagging system and fingerprint reader which will highlight any underage customers attempting to tan. If you have software or not we really recommend a to get as much information from your client as you can before they use your sunbeds, for protection of both themselves and you as a business.

If you want to see more- we write quite a lot on our blog about safe tanning as a business owner which might help you out further... http://www.salontracker.co.uk/News.aspx

We wish you all the luck with your second business!

x

That's great thanks. Does anyone else know anymore? X

There are quite a few regulations, you can find some on the sunbed association, hse gov and the actual sunbed regulation act 2010.

Have you looked at Fitzpatrick scale for skin typing on how many minutes clients can go up for in regards to the tubes you are using?

In my salon we have a strict guideline. No one under 18 years old- (no child allowed near the tanning zone- that includes no babysitting!). Minutes should be signed every time, use googles, ensure the correct tanning cream is used to hydrate the skin. Sunbed cleaned after use. We have an induction where we go through everything in detail, give all the risks and benefits as part of our in depth consultation. Please look at what your underwriters have in regards to policy. The fine is £25000 its not worth the risk if you don't have everything in place! Good luck xoxo

Latest posts

Back