Sunbed ban for under-18s to become law

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
A controversial health bill, prohibiting the use of sunbeds for under-18s, has been passed. The Sunbed (Regulation) Act, which has been heavily supported by many industry figures as well as prominent politicians and celebrities, will come into force in 12 months’ time.

From April 2011, local environmental health officers will have the power to inspect salons and to penalise salon operators if they are found to be breaking the law. Sunbed operators will also need to provide comprehensive information to all customers about the health risks associated with using sunbeds.

Aisling Burnand, executive director of policy and public affairs at Cancer Research UK, said: “We’re thrilled that the bill to stop under 18s using sunbeds has passed through the House of Lords and will become law. This is a monumental achievement and legislation will go a long way to curb the alarming numbers of teenagers that use sunbeds.

“Research recently published in the British Medical Journal found that a quarter of a million children in England between the ages of 11 and 17 regularly use sunbeds. Cancer Research UK looks forward to working with the next government to ensure all salons are properly staffed and all adults are given appropriate information warning them of potential dangers to their long-term health.”

However, sections of the beauty industry have labelled the bill a “sham”, stating that it was a missed opportunity to enforce stronger protection laws.

Gary Lipman, chairman of The Sunbed Association, said: “We have always insisted on non use of sunbeds in salons by minors and supported a ban on under 18s. However, this bill only prohibits use in commercial outlets, so the purchase or hire of sunbeds by under 18s for use at home can continue and will inevitably thrive when they cost as little as £5 per week to hire.”

TSA claims it called for the wording of the bill to be strengthened with regard to unstaffed salons, calling for properly trained staff to be on the premises at all times.

“We simply do not understand the decision to ignore this,” Lipman continued. “Implementation would make sunbed use safer for all, not just in those salons where sunbeds are operated responsibly. Our only conclusion can be that this crucial issue was pushed aside so as not to delay passage of the bill.”

Attachments

• sunbed460x276.jpg
    sunbed460x276.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,725
Speaking as a former board member of the TSA myself....although this falls short in many ways at least its a step in the right direction which can only be a good thing:hug:

Hopefully more stringent controls will follow in time :hug:

They should just ban them full stop in my opinion. This is good there is a ban to stop younger children using them but as soon as they get to 18 they will just go on them anyway!

They should just ban them full stop in my opinion. This is good there is a ban to stop younger children using them but as soon as they get to 18 they will just go on them anyway!

couldn't agree more. To make something 'safer' does not make it safe. There is no such thing as a safe tan. That is undisputable.

Guess the same could be said for smoking :D

Guess the same could be said for smoking :D

Agreed this should be banned too!! But think of all the tax they'd be loosing out on :rolleyes: lol x

sunbeds should be banned , i agree!

Should everything in our life be banned ? Also I would close pubs,fast food,nail salons as they damage nails,beauty salons as there are lots of infections and beauticians never wash their hands and travel agencies who sell tours to hot countries as coming back from there people have skin cancer.And smokers,that is their choice to smoke and I do not wish to pay for their treatment.
Any comments?

ok here goes, I will duck to avoid the flack!!

I own a tanning salon that is also now a beauty salon and exercise studio. I do agree with the 18yr old ruling and we monitor usage very carefully, explain the damage they can do and even restrict time and weekly usage for the younger crowds.

I do the best i can but on a personal level, I sunbathe like mad when the sun come out (with sunscreen before you shout at me!) and use the sunbeds probably every 3 weeks for 8 mins. I think that no matter how much you educate a person if they want to do it they will. Look at smokers. So I think everything in moderation is a good thing, going to extremes is bad.

People get cancer from all sorts of reasons, people who have never used a sunbed and are the healthiest people in the world still die from cancer (on a sick note my father died from cancer and he was a non smoking marathon runner - I always told him that exercise would kill him.... hence my reason for avoiding all forms of exercise....well you never know...)

So to sum up - everything in moderation! now where's my wine and chocolate.....:lick:

Latest posts

Back