Sunbeds too hot for plaster ceiling!!!!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lushtan&beauty

Reaction score
Hi just want some advice really
I rent a shop from a landlord. Last weekend i noticed a huge crack in the ceiling, so i phoned the landlord to get him to check the flat upstairs to see if there was ANOTHER leak.
He came out and without checking upstairs he checked my ceiling, which was re plastered (AT MY EXPENCE) when i took over the shop as there had been a flood upstairs and there was a huge hole in the ceiling. He said it didnt look like water damage and proceeded to pick away at the ceiling.
He then told me that the plasterer i had used hadnt plastered the ceilling properly and he should have PVA'd it 1st so it would stick to the original ceiling and this was the reason it has cracked.
He then decided it was because of the heat from the sunbeds that the plaster had dryed out too much. Surely every salon would have this problem and it also would have happened near my other sunbed.

Do you think he could be right as the shop does get really hot, but surely there would be implements to stop this happening?

it looks as if im going to have to fork out to have this repaired, can someone give me some advice so i have a leg to stand on when arguing my case with him

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers:cry:

not too sure about the plaster, but when we had our sunbeds put in we cut into the ceiling and put some aluminium above them to reflect the heat back in rather than upstairs to heat the landlords flat (we pay him enough as it is without heating his flat too!!)
hth x

I suggest you get your plasterer back to talk to the landlord. When you plaster you don't need to PVA it necessarily. However not PVA'ing wouldn't to me create a single crack through the middle if this is what you have got, it would cause it crack around the edge of where it had met the other plaster if it was the cuase of the problem at all. PVA is a glue and will only help adherence not guarantee it.

This is one of those cases where you would need to see the issue to really be able to advise though. You also don't give a time period for the crack appearing after the plastering was done. this may be a factor. I do suggest getting the plasterer he is thr professional after all.

Hi just want some advice really
I rent a shop from a landlord. Last weekend i noticed a huge crack in the ceiling, so i phoned the landlord to get him to check the flat upstairs to see if there was ANOTHER leak.
He came out and without checking upstairs he checked my ceiling, which was re plastered (AT MY EXPENCE) when i took over the shop as there had been a flood upstairs and there was a huge hole in the ceiling. He said it didnt look like water damage and proceeded to pick away at the ceiling.
He then told me that the plasterer i had used hadnt plastered the ceilling properly and he should have PVA'd it 1st so it would stick to the original ceiling and this was the reason it has cracked.
He then decided it was because of the heat from the sunbeds that the plaster had dryed out too much. Surely every salon would have this problem and it also would have happened near my other sunbed.

Do you think he could be right as the shop does get really hot, but surely there would be implements to stop this happening?

it looks as if im going to have to fork out to have this repaired, can someone give me some advice so i have a leg to stand on when arguing my case with him

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers:cry:

mmmm a difficult one without actually seeing the job that was done in the first place by your plasterer.
If the recent damage was due to flooding from the flat above the ceiling would be wet...assuming it isn't then the problem is probably coming from your room or the repair job undertaken by the plasterer.

I assume he filled in holes caused by the flood and also skimmed the entire ceiling to make an even job of it.
The use of PVA is to create a bond between the old and new plaster and should have been used when skimming over old stuff or a painted ceiling.

The heat emission from sunbeds would cause this skim to dry excessively and cause cracking or peeling of the new plaster.

You could again re plaster and then put some kind of cover over the plaster foil or perhaps better the thick embossed pvc type wallpaper and paint it out.

I would suggest you get the plasterer back and ask for his comment
Good luck :hug:

hi thanks for your replies
I had the ceilling re plastered in october and we opened end of November. so sunbeds were not fitted while it dried out.

Had a plasterer come and have a look on wednesday as a huge lump fell off the ceilling right on top of stand up sunbed. luckily it was before i opened so i put it out of order while i tidied up. the rest of the loose plaster has been picked off.

there are cracks appearing a few other places in the ceilling, so looks as if its gona have to be re-done properly (AT MY EXPENSE) but ive been told i need to move both sunbeds to get them out the way (they were built up in the rooms)

arrrrrrrrr its soooo stressful
:eek:

Latest posts

Back