Surprise birthday party help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winnie2013

Reaction score
Hello lovely geeks, way off topic but I need as many ideas as I can on this one.

I have been arranging my husbands surprise 30th for the last few months. I've got all his friends and family organised, the cake done and the DJ. The venue is a gorgeous vintage style room above an old pub near us.

Now...how the bloody hell do I get him in to the pub and up the stairs before he twigs? We've never been to the pub before, it's not one we would try and it's my dad's birthday that night also, so he knows dad will have wanted to do dinner somewhere in London (husbands birthday is technically the day after) so if I say dads booked a pub dinner near town he will start questioning and guessing and I really really want it to be a surprise.

Also once I've got him in the pub I need to get him up stairs, past all the diners. I was going to get the bar staff to say the family's table is booked upstairs and hope he doesn't realise.

I know in thinking about it too much but I am desperate for it to be a total surprise right up until I open the door. I feel like I don't deserve him as he always spoils me and looks after me and never argues with me and puts up with my Pms ☺️ So I want to do something right. Xxx

Also I did ask my lovely father to start mentioning the pub and saying how much he liked the food a month ago but he keeps forgetting. I thought if dad had said how it's his new favourite place then it would work. But I didn't count on his memory being so sieve like!

I think you've answered your own question! :wink2:

I think you've answered your own question! :wink2:

Yeah the getting dad to start talking about the pub was a good plan, then he forgot and kept going out to other places and racing about those and has now bu**ered off for 2 weeks on business.

I would tell him that you have booked a lovely table at rest X (not the one you are going to) at 6pm (or whatever) and that he needs to be dressed smartly. Go the whole hog and look at the menu with him online etc.

Then on the evening, divert to the surprise venue, and tell him that you need to drop something off there (price list for the wife or whatever) and let things happen from there.

If he does get wind of the surprise, he sounds like the kind of guy that wouldn't let you know and spoil it for you.

I would tell him that you have booked a lovely table at rest X (not the one you are going to) at 6pm (or whatever) and that he needs to be dressed smartly. Go the whole hog and look at the menu with him online etc.

Then on the evening, divert to the surprise venue, and tell him that you need to drop something off there (price list for the wife or whatever) and let things happen from there.

If he does get wind of the surprise, he sounds like the kind of guy that wouldn't let you know and spoil it for you.

Yeah that's exactly what he's like too! I had to go to the extreme of hacking his Facebook to make sure the event was private, felt quite intrusive...and highly skilled that i managed to do it! I like this idea I think I could get away with that xx

Could you say you've booked a surprise meal for your Dad there?? Your husband will know there's a surprise then and allow for 'strange behaviour' but won't know it's for him.

Tara Louise Tans x

You could say someone at work is having a do and you need to drop in with pressie in the way.

or you could get another relative to drop in and say a dinner has been organised for your dad at the pub. And get them to say that hes been there and likes it there.

All lovely suggestions! Its got my brain working properly again. I was going so far off course that at one point I considered falling down our stairs and "twisting my ankle" so when we got to the pub he would have to help me upstairs as that's where the ladies are. Slightly too dramatic, too over thought and I would probably put myself in A&E xx

One of my customers hosted a surprise party for her friend. She told her it was her birthday night out, took her for a few drinks and then blindfolded her as the second part of the surprise. The party venue was only round the corner so she got the driver to just keep driving around. Walked her into the party and then took the blindfold down.

It was so carefully planned that even I was in on it. Whenever the client who's birthday it was came into my shop, I had to hint to her that I thought it was a surprise meal as if I was on her side!

Don't know how you'd get a blindfolded husband up some stairs tho..

I think your best idea is pretending the party is for your dad and just say you chose there as you've heard a lot of good reviews!

Keep us all posted, I'm excited :)

One of my customers hosted a surprise party for her friend. She told her it was her birthday night out, took her for a few drinks and then blindfolded her as the second part of the surprise. The party venue was only round the corner so she got the driver to just keep driving around. Walked her into the party and then took the blindfold down.

It was so carefully planned that even I was in on it. Whenever the client who's birthday it was came into my shop, I had to hint to her that I thought it was a surprise meal as if I was on her side!

Don't know how you'd get a blindfolded husband up some stairs tho..

I think your best idea is pretending the party is for your dad and just say you chose there as you've heard a lot of good reviews!

Keep us all posted, I'm excited :)

I think once you've blinded folded them you've sort of given the game away. It's really not normal to go around blindfolding people. I feel it would spoil the surprise as they'd know there was something going on and would guess the obvious.

I threw my fiancé a surprise 21st :)

Got my nan to say one of her old friends were emigrating to Australia so it was a surprise leaving party & he fell for it :')
The look on his face when he walked into the hall was priceless he had such a great night xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Or you start the wheels in motion. Start a food conversation then Oh, Dad mentioned xyz is lovely, we'll have to try it sometime - he doesn't stop going on about it. Then bring it up when dad's around?

Latest posts

Back