Swedish vs deep tissue massage - price difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swedish vs deep tissue - do you charge more for deep tissue?

• Yes - I charge more

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • No - I charge the same

Votes: 27 45.8%

• Total voters

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask you how much do you charge for swedish & deep tissue massage?
would like to see how much extra (if at all) you charge extra for a deep tissue massage?

Many thanks x

I charge the same for Swedish, deep tissue or sports massage as the client rarely knows until i see them which style suits their needs. In fact I often use a combination to get the best results.

Thank you, appreciate your reply x

I started off charging slightly more for deep tissue than swedish, but soon changed it when everyone booked in for swedish and I would end up mixing the 2 treatments anyway if they needed it.. :rolleyes:

I now just offer a 'massage' or luxury massage using pre-blended aroma oils, but that's usually a full body massage. I then charge a few ££ extra to cover the cost of the oils etc..

I charge the same as when clients book for a massage I often use techniques to suit the circumstances there and then so could start with swedish, then lead into hands-free, deep tissue, trigger points, cupping, bamboo, and sometimes the addition of bespoke essential oils, etc.

am a firm believer that when a client knows a cost it would be unprofessional to give them a different price at the end of the massage. I make the decision to add on as and when I see fit.

Thank you for your replies.
I do the same by tailoring each massage to that person, but am finding most people want deep tissue massage & I haven't put my massage prices up in approx 8 years (& don't feel I can) so was thinking of offering "deep tissue" as a separate treatment just £2-4 extra, hence asking for what you do.
Very disappointing that only 3 of you took the time to answer :(

I do deep tissue as part of sports massage, so yes, I charge more. But I rarely do swedish massage now as everyone goes for sports massage.

Hi, I do Swedish and deep tissue. Yes I charge more for deep tissue as I market them completely differently. I always ask my clients needs when they are enquiring about booking and I give them advice as to which massage would suit them. I hardly do any Swedish anymore and I charge quite a bit more for deep tissue. Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

I don't do deep tissue massage but do charge more for sports or remedial massage than I do for holistic massage. I don't think it unreasonable to charge more, the skills for sports/remedial require far more training and knowledge and more time is spent assessing and treating.

What is a deep tissue massage and what does it cover?

I don't do deep tissue massage but do charge more for sports or remedial massage than I do for holistic massage. I don't think it unreasonable to charge more, the skills for sports/remedial require far more training and knowledge and more time is spent assessing and treating.

What is a deep tissue massage and what does it cover?

It's a much deeper massage than Swedish as it requires you to use your forearms and elbows rather than wrists and hands. It means the therapists can give a much more effective treatment that works on specific problems within the muscle fibers and can be similar to sports massage in its approach. It's perfect for people who really want to feel like they've had a massage rather than feel relaxed. Great for people with lots of tension and stress and can easily be combined with sports or Swedish in order to produce different results

I always see it as somewhere in between swedish and sports massage. I love it!

HTH

Sam xoxo

Thanks Sam :)

So, really a swedish massage that is firmer?
Would it include palpation and postural/orthopaedic assessment? Different massage techniques (STR, MFR, MET etc) or is it different techniques (forearms and elbows) to apply more pressure during a swedish type massage?

It's a difficult one because massage will mean different things to different people. I would use deep tissue techniques in a basic massage if I felt (after consultation) it was appropriate, so would charge the same (although I put I charge more on the poll - sorry) but do charge more for a sports/remedial massage.

Likewise with Aromathearpy. I often add aromatherapy oils to a massage if I feel it will benefit (so I suppose an 'aromamassage'), but this is very different to an Aromatherapy treatment that I would charge more for.

Emma, if you haven't put your prices up for 8 years, I would do this - is there any reason why you feel you can't?

Last edited:
Thanks Sam :)

So, really a swedish massage that is firmer?
Would it include palpation and postural/orthopaedic assessment? Different massage techniques (STR, MFR, MET etc) or is it different techniques (forearms and elbows) to apply more pressure during a swedish type massage?

It's a difficult one because massage will mean different things to different people. I would use deep tissue techniques in a basic massage if I felt (after consultation) it was appropriate, so would charge the same (although I put I charge more on the poll - sorry) but do charge more for a sports/remedial massage.

Likewise with Aromathearpy. I often add aromatherapy oils to a massage if I feel it will benefit (so I suppose an 'aromamassage'), but this is very different to an Aromatherapy treatment that I would charge more for.

Emma, if you haven't put your prices up for 8 years, I would do this - is there any reason why you feel you can't?

To me a deep tissue massage uses different techniques with firearms and elbows giving a much more beneficial massage aimed at treating stress and tension rather than specific problems like sports injuries. However there is no reason why the techniques from all disciplines can't be combined to provide a bespoke massage for each individual client based on their individual needs

Sam

xoxo

I charge 15 pound more for deep tissue but the one I do is an accupressure deep tissue massage and takes approx 1 1/2 hours although don't really have many people book in.

When I do normal swedish massage I do incorporate deeper tissue moves also.

However there is no reason why the techniques from all disciplines can't be combined to provide a bespoke massage for each individual client based on their individual needs

I completely agree and take it one step further and think these basic deep tissue techniques should be included in a standard massage course - rather than being a different type of massage or an additional training course come to that. There is a difference between remedial/sports/clinical massage, but cannot see the difference between swedish and deep tissue. For me, massage is a wonderful, beneficial therapy which will be different from client to client and even with the same client. It's like having a toolbox of different techniques to apply depending on both what the client wants and, as professionals, what we feel would benefit our client.

I have one price for my time with massage. Wether it be Swedish, aromatherapy or deep tissue. I tend to use aroma oils in most treatments anyway so it's the techniques that change and blend together.
8 years is a long time to not change your prices maybe you need to bite the bullet and go for it. I am sure your clients won't even notice £2 on a great treatment.
Could you have mini brand change or do some training that you can then say you are increasing the prices and their experience will be enhanced because of this?
Just an idea .... Be confident in yourself

Latest posts

Back