Sympathy to nail technicians..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIGGLER

Reaction score
Just been reading a few posts about 'self taught' nail ppl.. I'm horrified to read these posts and how hard working beauty therapists are struggling to stay afloat due to non professionals setting up and undercutting prices! I'm a hairdresser so I guess I feel lucky that the hairdressing industry isn't quite so easy to mimick or start as a hobby! Although I do av to suffer the 'strip the colour outta ur hair at home' ads! Lol!... Deepest sympathies.. And if it helps, u can spot a non-professional a mile off! I hope something is done about it! X

Lol, I do feel for u with repairing diy colouring.

I know what u mean, I've just passed my nail course 1k lighter and a lot of stress perfecting my technique for my exams, the good thing about my nail system is, u can only buy from them if ur qualified-if not u get ripped off on ebay and probably mess up the prep, application etc so maybe they won't last?

I am glad I've gone and trained, learn far more when u can quiz the trainer, and they can give u hints and tips. Xx

My best friend is a beauty therapist.. She's brilliant too. She spends thousands training and on new equipment to do new services. It's a lot more expensive than hairdressing! I complain about all women thinkin they are professional hairdressers coz they've been to a salon for their hair doing (a bit like men thinking they are football managers coz they've watched match of the day lol) but at least it stops there.. Why wud someone pick up a nail file and attempt to base a career on no experience or training?! It is making a mockery of all YOUR hard work! I'm horrified! !

In my opinion, these self taught "Nail Technicians" only make us Nail Professionals look better! :wink2:

In my opinion, these self taught "Nail Technicians" only make us Nail Professionals look better! :wink2:

i so agree, :lol:

I have this problem! There is a girl in my town who does nails for £10! This includes glitter ect. she's only about 17.

It's so easy to get your hands on nail kits these days, eBay even Argos sell them. :(

Not trained, no insurance just wants money for driving lessons, so I've heard.

Her photos look ok however sideways they look flat.

People just don't care, they want cheap! :(

Oh and to add to this now other therapists have gone down to £10 for November special. I can't go that cheap as I have bills to pay and I know I'm worth more x

I can only imagine how annoying that is! The hair and beauty industry looks very glamorous.. But it's hard work. I get irritated by people saying they've always wanted to do hairdressing.. Because they are good at doing their own! :-/ it's not quite the same as doing someone else's!! Comments like that can undermine our talent sometimes. But its even worse if they put it into practice!

Oh and to add to this now other therapists have gone down to £10 for November special. I can't go that cheap as I have bills to pay and I know I'm worth more x

I'd be very wary of a set of nails for £10! It has fungal infection written all over it! Something needs to be done.. And quickly! I bet most of these bargain nail techs are doing these little jobs while claiming at the same time!

I tried to cut my fringe once. Never again! It looks easier that it actually is lol. It's only just grown out lol.

I try to focus in other parts of my business however they always get undercut I do Sienna tans for £15 but someone else does a tan I couldn't even find on google for £8. :(

I no but what can be done,

I'm sure they are saying they are unemployed and claiming and I bet they don't pay tax or declare how much they make.

Wish people could understand this so they knew to support local people who work hard and put a lot of time and money into learning to do nails

I no but what can be done,

I'm sure they are saying they are unemployed and claiming and I bet they don't pay tax or declare how much they make.

Wish people could understand this so they knew to support local people who work hard and put a lot of time and money into learning to do nails

I know there's not a lot that can be done.. Well not by individuals! Beauty organisations should do something about it. Surely they can't be insured?! I'm a state registered senior hairdresser and I know the hairdressing council is trying to bring in a new law so the unqualified cant open salons! Are there organisations like this in beauty??

Hi giggler, the nail techs don't need sympathy they need attitude, haha, maybe it's because I was a hairdresser first I can stand up for myself!
Most of the posts about undercutting are from poor girls worried about under trained people taking business away from them when really they need to be confident in their own abilities & let them carry on working for peanuts "monkeys" ha.

Example: parents night on Monday a mother commented on my nails saying how lovely they were, then went on to say she may come to me if I was as competitive (read cheap) as her usual tech (cheek) to which i replied "No I'm not really",

She looked shocked but I've seen her nails! & I'm shocked she pays for them at all, so I will carry on as I am thanks ;)

I'm a hairdresser so I guess I feel lucky that the hairdressing industry isn't quite so easy to mimick or start as a hobby!

Err i have to disagree !!!

How about all those non-hairdressers that do a day course in Hair Extensions which is a Level 3 module and then call themselves qualified!!!( These courses are designed as level 3 CPD courses for trained hairdressers and non- hairdressers can only attend due to lack of regulation in our industry) :grr::grr::grr:

There are plenty of these hobby extensionists around giving it large, and even on Salon geek the odd skin or nail geek asking which day course is the best to do hair extensions (DOH Level 3 Hairdressing by the way!!!) when they have NO prior hairdressing experience.

The sooner our industry is fully regulated the better !!!!

I never knew people could do an extention course without the hair qualifications! Surely it can't be hard for the course to ask for the hair certificate to be braught along to training!

I qualified in hair and beauty, but have took the beauty route and went on a nail course and to get the training we had to show our mancure certificate which makes complete sense! Xx

Err i have to disagree !!!

How about all those non-hairdressers that do a day course in Hair Extensions which is a Level 3 module and then call themselves qualified!!!( These courses are designed as level 3 CPD courses for trained hairdressers and non- hairdressers can only attend due to lack of regulation in our industry) :grr::grr::grr:

There are plenty of these hobby extensionists around giving it large, and even on Salon geek the odd skin or nail geek asking which day course is the best to do hair extensions (DOH Level 3 Hairdressing by the way!!!) when they have NO prior hairdressing experience.

The sooner our industry is fully regulated the better !!!!

Oh I don't think talented hairdressers need to worry so much about that! Anyone attempting to cut/style hair exts is gonna come unstuck at some point lol! After all let's be honest, there's some qualified hairdressers out there that are letting our industry down and they've trained for years!

But for peace of mind the hairdressing council are in the process of trying to bring in a new law now.. It was only the other day i recieved a newsletter about it. So I won't be losing any sleep over it! ;)

Hi giggler, the nail techs don't need sympathy they need attitude, haha, maybe it's because I was a hairdresser first I can stand up for myself!
Most of the posts about undercutting are from poor girls worried about under trained people taking business away from them when really they need to be confident in their own abilities & let them carry on working for peanuts "monkeys" ha.

Example: parents night on Monday a mother commented on my nails saying how lovely they were, then went on to say she may come to me if I was as competitive (read cheap) as her usual tech (cheek) to which i replied "No I'm not really",

She looked shocked but I've seen her nails! & I'm shocked she pays for them at all, so I will carry on as I am thanks ;)

Good on ya! Possibly the best attitude to have and if it's working out for you.. Even better! ;) pass on the wisdom!

Good on ya! Possibly the best attitude to have and if it's working out for you.. Even better! ;) pass on the wisdom!

Xxx

Oh I don't think talented hairdressers need to worry so much about that! Anyone attempting to cut/style hair exts is gonna come unstuck at some point lol! After all let's be honest, there's some qualified hairdressers out there that are letting our industry down and they've trained for years!

But for peace of mind the hairdressing council are in the process of trying to bring in a new law now.. It was only the other day i recieved a newsletter about it. So I won't be losing any sleep over it! ;)

You are quite right and i totally agree, Its not the hairdresser that needs to worry just all the clients who lose hair, have uncomfortable extensions and are put off ever having them fitted again by anyone ever again !

You are quite right and i totally agree, Its not the hairdresser that needs to worry just all the clients who lose hair, have uncomfortable extensions and are put off ever having them fitted again by anyone ever again !

Oh yes.. I had a young girl come to me for her hair doing who'd had full head bleach and extensions put in straight after.. Completely bald from her temples down.. Done in a salon too! :-/ so I can only imagine the disasters that can happen if someone isn't fully qualified and applying hair exts! Luckily that young girl hasnt been put off.. She's just more choosy about where she goes now!

Latest posts

Back