table renting - can you make it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori23

Reaction score
good evening geeks. i have a question regarding renting a table. I have a meeting with a hair salon owner tomorrow she has a nail table to rent for £25per day hours to suit me ect. I have searched on here and think this is quite a good rate. The question is - has anyone really made a go of it renting a table?? when i first started out i rented a table in a hair salon but it was in the wrong place and so quite i had to quit as wasnt making any money - which made me feel so dis-heartened as I know I am good enough to earn a good living doing this!! I at the moment I am mobile but I think renting a table is a good idea as there is the ready made clients so to speak who will be having thier hair done. any replies much appreciated

tori xx

I have the same problem so would love to hear some advise also. I have been offered a desk in a salon for £25 a day but not sure yet if thats going to be it, whether I'll have to bring my own clients or whether I'll be allowed walk-ins also, plus book clients myself, advertise etc...... bit worried I won't make enough & will end up just paying loads out on my own products & the desk. But don't want to pass up the opportunity. :confused:

If you are good at what you do, and BELIEVE that you are that good, you will do well no matter WHERE you plant your business. I have worked in a variety of areas and have never had a problem building up a solid clientele. The trick is offering something that no one else has, be it solid education, a warm environment, or even an outstanding set of enhancements. I rented a table for the majority of my career, and would NEVER do it any other way. I usually paid a flat fee for the month, and set my own hours and appts.

The best advice I can give you is to be in the shop as often as possible. You have to be present to WIN. :) Answer the phones, offer quick mini manicures or demo nails to hair clients- your business will build up if you are CONSISTENT. :) Good luck!

ooh I missed that sorry- :) lol

are you the only tech in the salon? If not there should be a system for walk ins- you need to "take turns" to make sure its fair. Otherwise you call the shots unless the owner expressly puts it in writing otherwise.

MAKE SURE THERE IS A CONTRACT, and that you read it THOROUGHLY.

It will protect you and the shop owner ;)

thanks heather. yeah I will be the only tech so walk in would be all mine. thanks for the advice - I know what you mean about beaing good at your job - one of my clients yold me 'I would still come to you even if you were working from a cardboard box!!' so thats good to hear. thanks for the advice I'll let you know how I get on!!

tori x

hi, Yes i do think it is worth it. I rent a rom in the back of a tanning salon. I can't be seen from the front and so advertsie woth posters in the window. i do ok out of it. i have been there 3 months now and alrhough it has gone quiet now as it's jan, i'm not to worried as it's a nice break from how busy i have been! If you make a go of it and work HARD you'll do well. good luck x

I say go for it I work in a hair salon I dont rent the table I am employed but if you are situated where people can see you, there will be clients walking in etc give it a go if you dont you might end up kicking yourself if another nail tech takes your place!!! Good luck remember its a new year a new start.. x x

i rented a room when i first started self employed - and it was the best thing i did, unfortunately, the salon owners landlord put her rent up so much she moved to smaller premises - and there was no space for me - so had to leave, i was there for about 12-18 months, and had a good client base, only prob now is that cos im mobile and home based, the same clients didnt follow me - (alot of them were the blue rinse brigade, but the cash was regular) -was well gutted

Latest posts

Back