Taking on a newly qualified NVQ Therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAX inc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm desperate for help at my salon and have a lady coming for an interview this weekend. I'm used to working alone and I'm worried all my hard work of building up my clients will go to pot if I let a newbie loose on them. What should I expect from a newly qualified lady ? Should I supervise every thing she does ? Or just let her loose on me while I see how she works ? Any advise please ?

I can only write my opinion from my point of view-also as a newly qualified therapist looking for a job. I would tell my employer what treatments I am 100% confident in and would be happy to perform on clients. (obviously after showing my employer how I do these treatments and if she is happy with it then start doing clients)
If there are any treatments I am not 100% confident yet doing (for me it's hollywood waxing) , I would probably want my employee just to go throught it with me, show me some tricks and maybe do the treatment on her, or on a client under supervision (if client was happy to do that)
However, as a newly qualified therapist she will probably be very passionate and want to work hard as it's her first job. Me personally, as a newly qualified I am very keen to learn to things and be good at my job.
Good on you for giving a chance to a newly qualified as from my experience a lot of salons are not keen on them.
Good luck:)

personally i think everyone deserves a chance to start somewhere.. when i qualified as a beutician back in 92.. it took me approx a year and half to get my first salon position due to not having 2 years salon experience already.. was so frustrating..

you could do her a trial to see how her techniques are with your most popular treatments and then put her on a probation period, she may turn out to be your best employee, as always there is alot to learn in ur industry and we are learning all the time.. and whilst she is a newbie, she will also learn alot from you too..

also when we work on our own we are on our own terms, its hard to let someone else in on your space

hope it goes well for you.

Sarah xx

Hi, I'm desperate for help at my salon and have a lady coming for an interview this weekend. I'm used to working alone and I'm worried all my hard work of building up my clients will go to pot if I let a newbie loose on them. What should I expect from a newly qualified lady ? Should I supervise every thing she does ? Or just let her loose on me while I see how she works ? Any advise please ?

Did everything go to pot when you first started working for your first employer???

Not all newly qualified therapists are idiots, nd if you feel that you werent either when you first qualified then maybe you should give her a chance!

If youre that concerned then ask her to do a trade test then you will see exactly what she is like and her capabilities!

I find it annoying that many employers wont give newbies a chance yet feel that they were competent to start straight fater qualifying themselves.
This isnt a dig at you, but a generalisation of the industry!

Hi, I agree with everything that has been said above, I found it so difficult to get a job in a salon after I qualified because I didn't have 2 years experience. Its the Catch 22 of the beauty industry, how are you supposed to get 2 years experience if no one will take you on?? I say do a trade test and give her a chance, you never know she could be a little star! :)

Hi, I agree with everything that has been said above, I found it so difficult to get a job in a salon after I qualified because I didn't have 2 years experience. Its the Catch 22 of the beauty industry, how are you supposed to get 2 years experience if no one will take you on?? I say do a trade test and give her a chance, you never know she could be a little star! :)

horrible isnt it.. i tried to get back into the beauty side about 5 years ago, but even then i couldnt without recent salon experience AND a client list this time..

i now work for myself lol..

Yes I agree give her a trade test, test her on all her skills if you are unsure, as someone who is currently studying for their NVQ i'd happily do EVERY treatment I'm trained in if it got me a job in the salon. And then you'll get to see how competent they are too.

Give her a trade test and see. I took on a therapist who had been qualified for a few years but never been given the chance to have a proper job in a real salon environment. She's one of the best employee's I have (in-fact she's the only employee who was employed at the start and still here!).

I really believe that everyone deserves a chance to shine.

Thanks for the replys everyone. she is coming for an interview tomorrow , good advice asking about her strong points. my other 2 staff were fresh out of school when they started and both under 22 now so should work well with a college grad

Latest posts

Back