Taking on a part time employee?? 16hrs or less

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleighs Nail & Beauty Studio

Reaction score
Hii , im just wanting some advice , im thinkig bout keeping on my aprrentice when her course finishes but as a part time employee , does anyone know the procedures of registering an employee what else is involved like us the employer , how does it go about paying there NI etc ??
i know theres probs loads info on the net but i wanted to see if i could cut the chase a little ...as i get easily confused :-s

Thanks to anyone who responds xxxxx

And happy new year to everyone xx

You'll find all the info you need on the HMRC website: HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page. If you are employing for 16 hours or less per week, chances are you won't need to pay any tax or NI on their earnings.

ah thats great thanks for your help x

sorry i needed to bump this up again , ok so i rang HMRC , and explained i would be taking on 16hr part time staff at national minimum wage , and how to go about it etc.

He said to me if she hasnt got a second job which she hasnt - and she stays under the £97 pw threshold , that i wouldnt have to register as an employer or PAYE as she wouldnt pay it and same for NIC ,
i would just have to keep her details on record and her pay every week , and she would be classed as a expense to my buisness >>

(and also i wouldnt have to complete employer forms at end of year)

(but obviously she still has same entitlement as a full time worker i.e nmw , holidays , sick pay , maternity etc)

this all seems a little to straight forward , does this sound about right ??

i will have to ring again and just double check he has gave me the right information , even tho i had to say 5 times ' so your sure i dont have to register' lol

HELP!

Hi Kayleigh

This is from direct.gov as you will also need to be aware of the minimm wage. This may help, as you will need to keep track of the hours you require her to work.

Although I have no staff, every year I still need to fill in relevant forms for leavers and joiners. I think I am correct in thinking this has to be done on line at HMRC if you have under 500 staff lol.

The National Minimum Wage rates

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. If you are being paid below the NMW you can contact the Pay and Work Rights Helpline for confidential help.

Current NMW rates

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:
  • £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • £4.92 - the 18-20 rate
  • £3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
  • £2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
I hope this is of help

Yes he is right in that you don't have to register as her pay will be under the threshold, however the employee may wish to be registered if she wants to claim tax credits/top up her NIC etc as she will need proof she is entitled to the tax credits.

Latest posts

Back