Taking the plunge - help please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyF

Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently have a full time job as a PA which for financial reasons I'm not looking to leave for at least 12 months, maybe more. However, my long term aim is to work as a full time nail technician, preferably from home. Since August of this year I have completed manicure, pedicure and Shellac training with CND. I have been practising on family and friends whenever possible and whilst I have received donations from them toward the cost of my products I am now thinking that I need to put a proper price list in place in order that I can keep buying additional products and also to help me save toward further training.

So I have two questions I'm hoping you might be able to help me with;

1. At what point did you feel comfortable charging realistic prices for your treatments? I don't want to under price my treatments but am conscious that I am still new to the profession and still have some way to go.

2. Given that I want to do this, I realise I need to register as self-employed with the HMRC which I am looking to do just as soon as I have my insurance in place (I'm just waiting to receive my final certificate). Is anyone in a similar position? i.e. working full time in another job but also at evenings/weekends as a nail technician? It would be great to hear how this has worked out for you and if there's anything you think I need to consider.

Thank you in advance!

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I do exactly that work full time in the day then do nails in the evenings and weekends. I'm educated by CND, insured with ABT and work self employed/ employed. It's tiring but rewarding and gives me stability until such time as I feel confident enough to leave the full time job. Can make training hard tho, I have to do all 121's as I can't make the week day sessions.

I passed my NVQ2 last July and converted to CND in May of this year. Went out on my own in October and haven't looked back since.

Only thing to consider is running a very tight diary. Also realising that you can't do repairs at the drop of a hat cos your diary is booked. Sometimes I find that hard. However I love being my own boss, I'm mobile and really enjoy it. Good luck what ever you do Karen xxx

Hi Lucy,

I do exactly that work full time in the day then do nails in the evenings and weekends. I'm educated by CND, insured with ABT and work self employed/ employed. It's tiring but rewarding and gives me stability until such time as I feel confident enough to leave the full time job. Can make training hard tho, I have to do all 121's as I can't make the week day sessions.

I passed my NVQ2 last July and converted to CND in May of this year. Went out on my own in October and haven't looked back since.

Only thing to consider is running a very tight diary. Also realising that you can't do repairs at the drop of a hat cos your diary is booked. Sometimes I find that hard. However I love being my own boss, I'm mobile and really enjoy it. Good luck what ever you do Karen xxx

Thanks Karen - I'm lucky in that I have a great boss who is supportive of my training so getting time off work hasn't been too difficult. I'm a little nervous about the financial side really as I never thought I'd actually get to work for myself! I'm also lacking a bit of confidence but hopefully that will come with time - I'm determined to pursue my dreams! x

Hi again,

Just keep records of everything, receipts of petrol and things you buy. Get a receipt book for your clients. Keep an accounts book and match up client receipts in your accounts book.

It's not hard just common sense and I'm sure you've got that. I love working for myself. I also do embroidery so embroidered all my own towels and tunics. I had cards made by good print and whilst a little more expensive they look fantastic. I then embroidered all my stuff in the same font.

Don't worry about being nervous I still poo myself when meeting new people but a challenge is good. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. CND are really the best foundation you can have. Get some 121's if you are unsure of anything xxxxx

A question since we're on the topic of Shellac. I read a lot on here of people doing free CND conversion training. Could some explain what this means and how to do it? And how do you train with CND to be able to do shellac?

Hi again,

Just keep records of everything, receipts of petrol and things you buy. Get a receipt book for your clients. Keep an accounts book and match up client receipts in your accounts book.

It's not hard just common sense and I'm sure you've got that. I love working for myself. I also do embroidery so embroidered all my own towels and tunics. I had cards made by good print and whilst a little more expensive they look fantastic. I then embroidered all my stuff in the same font.

Don't worry about being nervous I still poo myself when meeting new people but a challenge is good. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. CND are really the best foundation you can have. Get some 121's if you are unsure of anything xxxxx

Thank you - I really do appreciate all the support and advise! xxx

A question since we're on the topic of Shellac. I read a lot on here of people doing free CND conversion training. Could some explain what this means and how to do it? And how do you train with CND to be able to do shellac?

Hi

I did a conversion course with CND after I completed my NVQ 2 and whilst it was fantastic value for money it wasn't free. That was for l + p. Shellac Attack classes are the training classes. However I had already used Shellac so I did a Shellac brings them back class with Kayley and she was fantastic. Again sweet squared can advise you on costs etc. Good luck xxxx

Thank you - I really do appreciate all the support and advise! xxx

You are absolutely welcome Hun. I'm only a newbie myself there are some fantastically kind and experienced Geeks on here who have invaluable advice. They always help if you need them. Couldn't do without this site now. Try to give a little back when I can. Take care xxxx

Thank you, I haved finished my nvq 2 yet but when I do I'll be in contact with the names you've provided :) Os it silly that I'm gona ask what l&p is?? Lol xxx

Thank you, I haved finished my nvq 2 yet but when I do I'll be in contact with the names you've provided :) Os it silly that I'm gona ask what l&p is?? Lol xxx

No of course not sorry me being too lazy to type it out. L + P is an abbreviation of acrylic liquid and powder. That's what I did on my NVQ2 together with manicures and pedicures. As soon as I passed I converted to CND and started to do 121 training with them. They are awesome. Good luck and keep in touch and let me know how you get on. By the way don't be afraid to ask questions, that is how we all learn. Take care xxxxx

Latest posts

Back