Talking to clients !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbriggs100

Reaction score
Just need some advice really as I'm relatively new to this business - I'm setting up my own home salon doing nails initially then I hope to complete more courses as I go along !!!
However I'm nervous about a client talking or asking ne questions Shen initially all I will be doing is concentrating ! Did anybody else hind this hard ? Or Am I worrying un.necessarily and actually when it comes to the crunch it's quite easy to multiple - task ( which I might add is one of our top female talents ) !! He he
I guess I'm comparing it to learning to drive - initially when you pass I wouldn't dream of putting the stereo on loud cos I was concentrating so hard - but if wasn't long before those tunes were blasting out !!
I just don't want my first clients ( which are so important for spread of word for more business ) to think I'm really rude or something ??
HELP ..........

The best advise I was given was; to talk to the hand or whatever you're working on, it really works. Im such a chatter box that I've had to learn this really quickly otherwise it would take me forever to do treatment!

I also try and find a conversation that a client can chatter on about ie; their family, hobbies or holidays that way I can carry on working and just give small amounts of feedback.

You're right about it being like driving, you'll get the hang of it very quickly - good luck

Karaxxx

sometimes clients cant be bothered making conversation either. I always let them dictate. If they are quiet then dont try and make conversation and just let them be. If they start then you will have to chat.
I have a tv on the wall so 9 times out of ten they are happy just to sit and watch that as they can relax and not feel pressured into talking.:lol:

I was thinking this too when i started - I was stressing about havnig no time to think of the treatment because i would be constantly thinking "what can i say next". For me, iv never had that once, i worried over nothing. You will find the people who want to talk alot - ask alot! so the conversation just flows naturally you dont need to over think. Some just dont like to talk much! So they wont be offended if you dont.

Getting into a conversation with someone and getting to know them will actually probably relax you. I know that for me when im nervous and trying to hard to make a good job i actually make more mistakes!

The best advice i was ever given when i started is - even if you dont feel confident..act it, until you do!!

Arrrrh thank you so much geeks , I do feel better now - I hope I can just put that worry in back of my head now ..... :)

you know whats it's like when you go to the hair salon,,yada yada about the weather, where you going on holiday etc..it soon flows. Also feel confident to talk about what your doing...most are very interested and it educates them as well.

Some don't want to talk and that's fine also, least you can get on with your work quicker. :) x

I always start with, "Well, how are you today?" or "Well, what have you been up to?" That usually gets things rolling and sets the tone. You'll be able to tell whether they want to carry on a conversation or not.

I must be such a chatterbox that i never even thought about worrying for convo. LOL. I do chat alot though! and if you dont know what to say, you can always give some advice about afer care

I always start with, "Well, how are you today?" or "Well, what have you been up to?" That usually gets things rolling and sets the tone. You'll be able to tell whether they want to carry on a conversation or not.

Same here. I also have a small radio on so we have some background music with news-breaks now and then.

I have some coasters with pics of my kids in. That always starts a conversation! U always have something in common with everyone and the more you do u will realise its a small world and quite often its uprising that the ladies nails u are doing turns out to be your butties neighbour ect ect u get my drift! I did a ladies nails for years and was so shocked to see her at my best friends wedding. Turns out they are cousins!

if smalltalk fails....

try current gossip...

whether it's American Idol, Kardashians or The Real housewives, it's light and funny conversation and the client enjoys themselves.

hi, what 'twid' said about talking to their hand is what works and is what i was taught to do, when i first started i found this hard as i felt rude not making eye contact, but the client soon draws her eyes towards her hands and thats your 'queue' lol, you 'do' get in the habit soon enough, but occassionally still, when the conversation starts to get 'really interesting', i find it hard not to drop tools and just have a good old discussion instead, lol, its hard but i manage, i always have music or tv in background and your client knows when you have to concentrate because you go suddenly quiet and then so do they, when your sitting accross from one another you sort of mirror one anothers behaviour, everything falls into place naturally

Latest posts

Back