Tan isn't dark enough..or is it me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottishjoy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i'm just looking for some advice here really... i've had a few comments over the last couple of weeks that peoples tans arent dark enough. I use Sienna X tan.

One of my clients came in to show me the next day and i swear there wasnt even any tan line.. and i used 12.5% (my distributor was out of 12 and said this was pretty much the same) However there have been more for the other % aswell.

It has been suggested that perhaps im not spraying enough onto the client.. could this really be the problem? I'm using approx 40mlsish per client.

Any advice would be most welcome because first of all i thought it may just be that sienna x isnt dark enough but now im pretty sure its just meeeee :(

40mls.... I use about 50mls but I think there are other geeks who use as little as 30mls.

Try spraying a bit heavier, is this happening on each client? Or just a few? Had she moisturiser before the tan as this could be acting as a barrier.

Try samples maybe, I use nouvatan and love it xx

it's been a fair few.. i've only had 2 complaints as such..if you can call them that. More constructive criticism lol! However there's been a few people that have said ..oh it was lighter than i expected... Also i sprayed my mum a few weeks ago and when i saw her the next day i thought she looked pretty light and i sprayed her with the 16%! I'm gonna try spraying a bit heavier on my next tan.. on someone i know!

Yeah i was looking at the nouvatan website the other day, maybe it is time to get some samples in!

Someone today suggested i try Australian Gold? I havent heard much about it though x

I use Sienna X and Nouvatan & find them both excellent. My guess is that you just need to tinker a little bit to get your technique just right.

If you can find a willing guinea pig, try this: (mum's or hubbies are usually up for a bit of bribery lol) :eek:

Spray one leg as you normally do, then turn your nozzle to open it slightly and spray the other leg closer and slower. See the difference!

Tbh, 10% should leave a v good tan line, so I suspect that you just need to perfect things. Just adjust the nozzle, slow down and maybe just move in a little closer. If you've over done my suggestions you'll know as the spray will leave thick dark brown runny streaks and the guinea pig will comment that they feel wet!

So, give it another go......all is not lost! :)

Hi, it's not always just the amount of solution you use. If using 40/50mls it doesn't mean that it is all going onto the body. You could be further away from the body when spraying so it doesn't all land on the body, it could be overspray as well.
If only using 40mls then you would most likely be fairly close to the body when spraying. If not really close then this could be the problem. Not sure if that helps, but just another perspective xxx

Thanks jen for your help :)

Thanks Ladies,

Jen.. i'm gonna check my distancing.. perhaps it is that! x

Ha! I was just coming on to say the same thing! I USE SIENNA X 16% on a regular client (every 10 days) and she said it doesnt seem to be as dark as usual. I said she may just be getting used to it but she showed me photos and said her friends agreed she wasnt as dark as usual.
I said I would *overspray* her so I turned the nozzle up and sprayed a lot closer ,it definatley looked darker so I asked her to let me know the next day. She texted me and said she loved it.
Maybe I was not spraying enough?? Sienna x dont do a darker one . I tried a sample from a company that does 18% but the smell was overpowering when I got into bed that night and a lot rubbed off - oh what to do!!!!:lol:

This is exactly the problem I had with Sienna and why I no longer use it... I have tried loads and the one that ticks all the boxes for me is A-Tan! everyone loves it that has tried it! :hug:

Hi All,

I just wanted to drop you a message to let you know about a new product that Xen-Tan (www.xen-tan.co.uk) has developed. They are called Mist Concentrate Drops and you can use them to boost our Spray Tan Solution into a darker, richer and more luxurious colour. The colour enhancing drops can be easily added to our airbrush solution and are perfect for creating a custom tan to your client's desire. Plus they only cost £....

With our solution it is not about the percentage of the DHA, we use a time release ingredient called Lexorez which slow down the release of it to ensure that the colour develops just rightfor your skin tone. No orange, no patchiness and no streaks.

You can also request a sample of this pre-mixed with our solution and it will be sent out FREE of charge with some Brand Information.

Happy for any Geeks out there to PM me with all their salon/postal details and I will send out our information/sample.

Thanks
Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have any problem with Sienna x but I do use quite alot of solution on the clients. I get about 10 tans a bottles when Sienna advise you should get 15.
I can see the colour go on straight away so the client def has a tan line when I leave and they say it washes off the same colour and when it first goes on (hope that makes sense :rolleyes:)
In saying that I got a girl to spray me with 10% and she used about half on the solution I normally would and it was awful and really pale.
I think with Sienna X you need alot of solution for a good colour.

xxx

Been using Sienna X for 4 years and haven't had any problems with the colour, application or supply....
15 bodies is an average for a beginner and around 20 bodies for experienced therapists. 40-50mls is fine.
Sienna X have sales consultants all over the UK you can phone and ask them to send someone to see you..
If you trained with them then even better, the sales consultant can give your more advice. If not call the company you trained with - thats what you paid for..
You could be spraying to quick or too far away, hence the need for the consultant to visit.
10% is usually a good colour for the average body, but your clients will soon let you know if they want darker. Review your training manual to see what it says about skin types and solution strengths, this may help you...

30 - 40 mls should be sufficient for a full body spray tan. Be careful turning your solution flow screw further open and spraying near to the body will result in you applying far too much solution to the body, therefore causing your tan to break down badly. If you are standing too far away from the body you won't be applying enough, distance/solution flow is critical. Also make sure that you are not spraying far too quickly

Latest posts

Back