Tan solution green in bottle can I still use it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailuxe

Reaction score
Hi Im a mobile nail technician (shellac services) and did a spray tan course at the same time and like probably a lot of new people to the beauty business bought all the kit for both. Ive only done a couple of tans (both clients happy) but all my work is nail work as I naturally promote this. The issue is I have a lot of unused solution (coming up to a year old) stored in a dark cupboard in kitchen but has indeed one green in the bottle I guess as Ive had it so long!!! My fellow spray tan tech friend sprayed me for my birthday in Mar it wasnt green on me at all (even though it was in the bottle) her advice is it wont be green on the skin but dont use it on clients as it may not last as long. I found mine did last as long as it usually does. So do I have to except its gone off and chuck it all? Seems like such a waste.....I have an appointment on Thurs. I use Sunjunkie btw x

I wouldn't trust it at all. You have no way of knowing how it will tube out.
Do sub junkie sell small bottles? Or maybe look for another brand that you like which does small bottles.

Jemima :)

I did my spray tan training on Monday and she said if it's green in the bottle it will give a green tinge to the tan. Don't know what brand your using but nouvatan keeps for 6 months opened and 9 months unopened. Is throw it if I were you, I don't think anyone wants a green tan! lol xx

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Tanning solution can sometimes show a bit green around the rim due to the contact with the air which is not a problem at all and wont affect the tan, however you should check with your supplier as most have a shelf life of 12 months unopened and 6 months once opened. Whilst a few days or even weeks over the shelf life might not cause a problem (the tanning solution will gradually become less effective) 6 months over the shelf life would not be recommended so it might be worth checking with your supplier what they suggest?

I wouldn't use it on a client as may give a green tinge to the tan even when washed off. Not a good look. 😉

I wouldn't use it on a client hunny I wouldn't be happy if someone tanned me with green solution. Usually solution lasts several months if stored correctly cool dark place, like you said, for your insurance to be valid I would throw it away last thing you want is a unhappy customer, bad news always travels faster than good lol, try a company called brownbitz they do next day delivery,xxx

Hi Im a mobile nail technician (shellac services) and did a spray tan course at the same time and like probably a lot of new people to the beauty business bought all the kit for both. Ive only done a couple of tans (both clients happy) but all my work is nail work as I naturally promote this. The issue is I have a lot of unused solution (coming up to a year old) stored in a dark cupboard in kitchen but has indeed one green in the bottle I guess as Ive had it so long!!! My fellow spray tan tech friend sprayed me for my birthday in Mar it wasnt green on me at all (even though it was in the bottle) her advice is it wont be green on the skin but dont use it on clients as it may not last as long. I found mine did last as long as it usually does. So do I have to except its gone off and chuck it all? Seems like such a waste.....I have an appointment on Thurs. I use Sunjunkie btw x

sometimes even fresh solution can develop a slight green tinge if left in an open container exposed to moist air. . additionally if comes in contact with some metals

In this case, given the age of the solution ,and assuming you've recovered the initial outlay cost on previous treatments I would certainly recommend that you don't use it on paying customers

If you cant bring yourself to tipping it down the drain then you could always try it on yourself.

Whilst on application there might be a slight initial green tinge to your skin tone :wink2: this will wash off once showered

For my money...bin it and by new :wink2:

HTH

In a certain strange way, if the product is able to turn green over time it shows that the product does not contain many preservatives (which are incredibly bad for your skin) such as alcohol and various ingredients, so this could be viewed as a good feature in the product itself. I use Sunjunkie also, a tip that I was given is to store my tanning products in the fridge, which more than doubles the life span of the product, since i have started keeping my products in the fridge I am yet to see them turn green, and it usually takes me a few months to use up my products.

That's the first I've heard about Nouvatan lasting 9 months unopened, surely if that was true they'd be constantly making up solutions so it was fresh for every customer otherwise they'd have to warn us all how long it had been sat on the shelf xx

The only image i have in my mind is whether they would like a Shrek tan....hee hee hee! xoxo

Throw a shrek special for Halloween and use it !!!!!!
Hahahahahha

Beauty at your finger tips!

The only image i have in my mind is whether they would like a Shrek tan....hee hee hee! xoxo

That is hillerious I didn't even read ur comment till I posted mine! Hahahaha

Beauty at your finger tips!

Thanks for everyones useful comments I bought new (smaller bottles!) for my last couple of appointments and chucked all the old stuff! Now to make room in the fridge...

I started a tan one night on a client and realised it was green so sprayed it on my arm just out of curiosity and it was pure hulk green but this is what it turned out like when it was washed off..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410881187.587848.jpg
I obviously didn't use it on the client and I wouldn't but it was still okay once the guide colour was washed off xx

I always keep mine in the fridge if it went green I would use it on me lol xxx

I started a tan one night on a client and realised it was green so sprayed it on my arm just out of curiosity and it was pure hulk green but this is what it turned out like when it was washed off..
View attachment 75057
I obviously didn't use it on the client and I wouldn't but it was still okay once the guide colour was washed off xx

I assume this is a bill/statement for a client under your arm.... but you are showing their full name and address.

Great advice as usual Collin :) Yes i would buy fresh just to be sure, better than getting a bad reputation and you always want customers coming back !!!

sometimes even fresh solution can develop a slight green tinge if left in an open container exposed to moist air. . additionally if comes in contact with some metals

In this case, given the age of the solution ,and assuming you've recovered the initial outlay cost on previous treatments I would certainly recommend that you don't use it on paying customers

If you cant bring yourself to tipping it down the drain then you could always try it on yourself.

Whilst on application there might be a slight initial green tinge to your skin tone :wink2: this will wash off once showered

For my money...bin it and by new :wink2:

HTH

Great advice as usual Collin :) Yes i would buy fresh just to be sure, better than getting a bad reputation and you always want customers coming back !!!

how odd is this ..late yesterday afternoon I was contacted by the marketing company for a famous brand of tinned corn ...you can guess the name :wink2:

Apparently they are rolling out a new campaign for there jolly green giant product range and came across this thread and wondered if they could purchase spray tan solution that has gone green for there new giant of a model :eek::eek:

well of course I told em where they could shove there cans of corn and hung up on the cheeky buggers :irked::lol::lol::lick:

the power of the internet hey :lol:

I assume this is a bill/statement for a client under your arm.... but you are showing their full name and address.

mmmm Dyson hey....dont they make vacuum cleaners :eek::lol::lol:

how odd is this ..late yesterday afternoon I was contacted by the marketing company for a famous brand of tinned corn ...you can guess the name :wink2:

Apparently they are rolling out a new campaign for there jolly green giant product range and came across this thread and wondered if they could purchase spray tan solution that has gone green for there new giant of a model :eek::eek:

well of course I told em where they could shove there cans of corn and hung up on the cheeky buggers :irked::lol::lol::lick:

the power of the internet hey :lol:

Please tell me your taking the pee?

Latest posts

Back