Tanning | No Tanning For Under 18s In Northern Ireland

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It's fair to say that Northern Ireland has been a little slow in implementing it's tanning legislation but, as of May 1st 2012, it's finally here. From the beginning of this month, under-18s will no longer be legally allowed to use tanning beds.

Northern Ireland is the last country to implement the ban. The UK and Wales enforced a similar law in April 2011 and in Scotland it has been illegal for under-18s to use a tanning bed since 2008.

As of May 1st 2012, salons seen offering tanning bed treatments to under-18s could face prosecution. Local councils will be responsible for enforcing the law, which also states that anyone over 18 years old must be provided with information about the health risks. Salons with tanning beds must also be supervised.

Is this legislation a good thing? Does it affect your business?

Let us know.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• sunbed.jpg
    sunbed.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 294
This may sound contraversial, but, It's fantastic news! It's not worth the risk of a very deadly cancer. I live in Australia and sunbeds will be completely banned for use for everyone in my state (NSW) from 2014. Seeing people die in their 20's of a preventable cancer is awful and i wouldn't want to wish it on anyone (but I do live in the skin cancer capital of the world). Its certainly difficult for under 18's to truly weigh up the risks.

The only safe tan is a fake tan!

Latest posts

Back