Tanning when clients have moles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail_316

Reaction score
Hi All
I have three raised moles on my neck (I hate them! Cant get them removed because of potential scarring as I had one removed from my tummy a while ago) and I was wondering if tanning professionals discourage clients who have raised moles, particularly more than one of them, to not use sunbeds and try alternative tanning like a spray tan.
I have booked in for a spray tan three times and have got scared and cancelled all three times because I dont want my face to be a different colour so my normal foundation wont match my face, I cant go out the house without it on, silly I know! :eek:
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Gail

From what I have read on lots of medical websites concerning moles and skin cancer, the consensus is that tanning via sunbeds will increase the risk of a mole becoming cancerous, just as direct sun exposure will.

Having read about a woman in her late 20s with terminal skin cancer who had a history of heavy sunbed use, I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and go with the spray tan option.

If worried about a spray tan, then ask to start out with a light solution of spray tan first (e.g. 5% DHA or less); if the colour of that is too light then work successively upwards through darker tanning solutions (e.g. next time 8%, then 10%, then 12% if necessary) until you find the solution that is the right colour for you. Always better to start off too light than too dark with a spray tan - too light will just look a bit pale - too dark and you risk the "Tango" effect...

If you've already got a tan, it's highly unlikely that a 5% solution would make you go orange though! I'm quite pale, and had a 5% Tantrick and it turned out just fine...

You could have a very light spray on your face so that it does not go too dark for your foundation, but also won't look like you've only got a tan on the rest of your body and forgot your face! You don't have to go really dark, as Ruth suggested, start light and see how you feel about the colour. Have you met with and/or spoken to any local tanning techs?Most will know what they are talking about and getting to see your skin tone will help them to suggest the best solution for your colouring.
Definately avoid the sun beds, it's just not worth the risk. Worst case scenario with a spray tan is that you have to live with it for a week or so, but it's not permanent, so if you don't like it, no harm done.
Go for it!
K

You do right to stay away from the sunbeds hun, its not worth the risk,
be brave and go for a spray tan,
they look great when done correctly and you would find that you would not need your foundation while the colour is on your face as you would have a lovely healthy colour hth
wish you were closer to me i would convert you hun :hug:

Hi All
I have three raised moles on my neck (I hate them! Cant get them removed because of potential scarring as I had one removed from my tummy a while ago) and I was wondering if tanning professionals discourage clients who have raised moles, particularly more than one of them, to not use sunbeds and try alternative tanning like a spray tan.
I have booked in for a spray tan three times and have got scared and cancelled all three times because I dont want my face to be a different colour so my normal foundation wont match my face, I cant go out the house without it on, silly I know! :eek:
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Gail

I run a busy tanning salon and we specailise in responsible tanning. We sometimes get clients worried about moles. The first thing I would advise is that any mole that is worrying a client, should be checked by a GP. It sounds as if you have already had them checked?

We do not allow clients on the sun beds if they have 'excessive moles' or have close members of family who have had skin cancer. We do advise them to try a spray tan. Where customers have some moles and use the sun beds we advise that they regularily check thier moles and see a GP if they have any worries about them changing shape, colour etc.

If you prefer sun beds and don't have excessive moles you could cover the raised moles with SPF lip balm or very small plasters. Remember to go to a sun bed outlet that is a member of Sunbed Association. This helps to ensure safe tanning.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I think I will book in for a spray tan soon!
Gail
x

I had a raised mole removed from my neck hun and there was no scarring.
Have a spraytan and see what you think....you'll be amazed x

Latest posts

Back