Tanning!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurensbeauty

Reaction score
So I'm going to start doing spray tans in my beauty room...
as it's quite pricey to start up I was just curious of the following:

what %'s are the most popular 90% of my clients are fair-medium skin tone, how much do you charge?

thanks x

So I'm going to start doing spray tans in my beauty room...
as it's quite pricey to start up I was just curious of the following:

what %'s are the most popular 90% of my clients are fair-medium skin tone, how much do you charge?

thanks x

start slow with just a couple variants until you get fully up and running and income starts flowing...if your clients are fair-med look at getting in 8% and 10%

HTH and good luck with your new business venture :hug:

I use 10% mostly so I always buy 1litre bottles of those. I have 500mls of 8% and 12% incase someone does ask for lighter or darker tans, 8% is used mostly for brides

We found 8-11% the most popular as well as rapid tans but if you are starting out you could always go with an 8% and then add booster drops if clients are looking for a darker tan and rather than a second percentage you could go for a rapid tan as that offers quite a flexible tan :)

We found 8-11% the most popular as well as rapid tans but if you are starting out you could always go with an 8% and then add booster drops if clients are looking for a darker tan and rather than a second percentage you could go for a rapid tan as that offers quite a flexible tan :)

i certainly wouldn't advise a complete newbie setting off to do so using a rapid tan product ...as we all know this product is a lot more complex than that of a standard solution and best used by those that have at least some experience under there belt :eek:

Likewise the use of booster drops...not the best scenario a newbie mixing there own concentrate variants before they have gotten the hang of basic solution applications

when setting off in a new treatment it is always best to keep things as simple as possible at the offset as disasters have a tendency to knock confidence sideways

The time to try out more complex applications is best left until confidence through usage has been gained

HTH :hug:

Thanks everyone! think I'll get a 8% and 10% and a small bottle of any darker solutions!

Thanks for all your helps x

Thanks everyone! think I'll get a 8% and 10% and a small bottle of any darker solutions!

Thanks for all your helps x

good luck with it all missus :hug:

Id just like to say don't let being overly cautious put you off trying different things. Common sense, making sure your equipped with the knowledge of percentages, booster drops, times how the rapid tans work & you'll be fine to use them.
The key is being confident in your routine & memorising it, then you can focus on mastering your application, then trying new things!
Good luck!

Id just like to say don't let being overly cautious put you off trying different things. Common sense, making sure your equipped with the knowledge of percentages, booster drops, times how the rapid tans work & you'll be fine to use them.
The key is being confident in your routine & memorising it, then you can focus on mastering your application, then trying new things!
Good luck!

Thanks! I can't wait

I agree with fascinationkt, whether you are spraying a 8 or 10 % or a rapid tan makes no difference so dont be afraid to try it as its one of the most popular tans and gives so much flexibility to you and the client.

Likewise the booster drops are really easy to use as you only put 1 drop per 100ml solution to darken the solution by 1 % which gives you so many options to offer your clients the perfect tan :)

When training on a one to one basis it is easy for the trainer to pick up the capabilities of the trainee ...some of which find it difficult to get a hang of things while others take to it strait away and off they go

When advising without that direct contact ,as in this case, it is perhaps wise to act on the side of caution with advice being given ,start slow and keep it simple and let the trainee find her feet and dictate her own pace and or her trainer to best provide"specific" advice based upon her capabilities

Whichever category the original poster fits into(fast or slow learner) is to a certain degree not relevant as there may be many others who are also considering moving into the spray tanning sector and who look to these treads for professional practical advise before moving forward with there plans

In so far as rapid tans are concerned, even experienced operators using this for the first time experience difficulties as do those using booster drops for the first time

Not only at the entry point to spray tanning but even for those that are experienced there is always the issue of confidence and confidence braking(one only has to look at the numerous threads on this topic)...therapists work alone in most cases and don't have immediate professional support so doubts easily manifest themselves in the mind and there is the constant fear of that dreaded sms from there last customer claiming the spray tan hasn't come out as it should

Unlike most other beauty treatments a spray tan operator does not get the chance to see the "actual" treatment outcome before the client leaves the premises...unlike for example nails or eyelash extensions.... so they have to depend on confidence in there capabilities and in believing in themselves and there customers honesty and integrity

This unique relationship between customer and therapist is therefore of the utmost importance in making life simple for both parties .

Of course when first starting off confidence is possibly at a low and uncertainty is prevalent as is the customer possibly a new one ...so the relationship of "utopia" between therapist and customer simply does not exist

Start slow,uses basic solutions until such time as your confidence is gained before moving on and experimenting with more complicated applications

Far better to take things steady rather than rushing into things and potentially have all your hard earned confidence shattered :hug:

Last edited:
Why not look for a professional spray tan solution deal that includes the full range that caters to all customer needs light, medium, dark, very dark so you are fully equipped for any customer request. Some super 4 litre pack deals on the market :)

Great advice from Collin. I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone when starting out to bulk buy solutions. Unless you have a large pool of existing clients or friends out there willing to pay for a spray tan, it will take you months (especially over the winter) to get through bulk deals. Better to opt for a good quality solution where you can mix solutions together to make other percentages. Most people prefer a more natural look in the winter months anyway and if your client base is fair skinned clients then you wont be needing booster drops - which I personally don't believe anyone needs to use.

I agree. When you are starting off you don't want to buy too much stock until you get to know which percentages work best with your clients.

That's why rapid tans are great as they offer flexibility and so do booster drops as you can create different percentages very easy but we certainly would not recommend to mix tanning solutions as that can cause a patchy tan ;)

Good luck!

I agree. Rapid tan usage isn't rocket science. Just make sure you have a good understanding of how to advise when the tan should be showered off. You will be studying skin tone, client preference etc anyway so you will have to make choices if you are using different % or a rapid tan. It's just another choice. Allows good flexibility with one bottle of solution xxx

Latest posts

Back