tax credits nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriechatwin

Reaction score
Hi huns,

I'm having a complete nightmare with tax credits at the moment!I took on a few extra hours at work to cover maternity leave and before i did I asked tax credits to give me a quote as my nursery fee for my daughter was going to go up as a result of me doing an extra day it was going up from £84 to £117.50.Gave them a ll the particulars e.g news hours increased icome,new nursery fee etc and they said me and my partner would get £82.Based on that info and doing my sums i started my extra ay last week and informed tax credits i was going ahead,had my new award yesturday it said we would get £78,i notcied that thry hadnt changed my nuresry costs or working hours so gave them a call to inform them,it was then that was told we had another award notice in the post and that we were only getting £6!I was in tearson the phone as it means i have to quit my job as What i pick up each month doesnt cover the nursery bill.after i calmed down icalled them back to ask them if possible that there had been a mistake as it is going to affect us big time if i can't work,and they said it could be but i will have to call back middle of next week!I checked their online quoting and even that says weshould get £82 aweek.I have alwas been honest with tax credits always keeping them informed of any changes etc.I'm in bits at the mo cus having to wait to find out,we live in a private rented house and not sure we can afford to live here if i don't work.anyone else had this problem with tax credits?:cry:

hi there
i am sure this must be a mistake on there part i had a letter last week about how much we are entitled to , then yesterday another letter came to say , thank you for informing us of your change in circumstances your tax credits will now stop , i havent informed them of any changes so i rang them and the woman there kept saying to me have you and your husband spilt up , no i said , have you had a trial seperation , no again ,has he left you , no he hasnt fliping heck , then she said she would send my details through to another department and get my claim reinstated but couldn`t tell me how long this will take, the only thing we can put it down to is that i have taken my name off my husbands business because i now run a business of my own , so the accountant could of informed them of a spilt in the business , apart from that we have no idea , but they do seem to make a lot of mistakes , hope this helps a bit

Yes thank you i hope they sort it soon cus i have to pay the nursery £117 every week,and we just can't afford that without help,starting to lose faith in them,my friend and her husbnd earn the same as me and mine,and she ha always been told she wasnt entitled to any help funding her childcare,i did an online quote for her and it turns out she is,so what they are playing at or how they calculate it really needs to be sorted out.

What a crazy system! How awful you must feel. I know its a pain to keep phoning them, but just be on their backs until they sort it out for you!

So far, I have not had any majors with them, but I am so scared that one day something stupid might happen!

Hang in there, fight for what you are entitled to. Hopefully everytime you ring, you will get a different person. You will find that some Advisers are more helpful and more experienced than some. This should not be the case though as they should all be trained competently!

I wonder sometimes if they really know what they are doing. They claim I still owe them £3000 from 2003/2004. The fight goes on and so should yours. This doesn't sound right at all, so keep on at them until you get the right answers.

I think Tax Credits are absolutely brilliant - we don't get WTC but found out we can get Child Tax Credits and are getting almost all of our Chuildminder costs paid - and that's a hefty amount.

How come you are only getting £61 a month?

Do you only do a few hours?

I work 32 hours a week, and Dave works 42 hours a week.. and Tax Credits give us £747 a month.

I know so many people who are having problems with their tax credits.

W'ere in the same boat as you with privately renting and my partner working full time, it justs gets you down, I know how you feel.

I'm coming across the less you do the more you get rule, it pays to sit on your backside all day and have no ambition or goals, well in alot of cases anyway!

Good luck with the fight.

Teri x:hug:

hi all thanks for your comments and support.Eventually got it sorted they had made a mistake,but it makes you realise how each and every person gets different amounts even though their circumstances are simular.My partner works 47 hours aweek and i now work 24 hours my little girl goes to nursery 3 days a week and we get are going to get £77.64 from tax credits so we have to pay £40 per week childcare ourselves,i sometimes feel whats the point in working as by time you take off chilcare costs and petrol it doesnt seem worth getting up for.:)

Latest posts

Back