Teaming up with another hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessec2000

Reaction score
Morning,

I am just looking a bit of advice from all of you in relation to the business aspect of Hairdressing.

Ok so my Dilemma/Opportunity:confused:
I have a little salon out the back of my house its very basic but it does the job, However I do understand my clients are not getting the full Plush salon experience. I only work weekends and evenings because I also have a full time job that I cant afford to give up just yet. I do have a small returning client base.

So I live in a small village and a girl has opened a beautiful salon and tbh I know some of my clients have already been to her:( I know its not because my abilities its because of her beautiful salon.

Well She has asked me to team up with her...Not on the grounds of like a rental more of like I bring my clients to her salon and also help out with hers so it balances out...A temp employee type thing. I could learn things off her for sure especially the business side of things.. I just don't know what to do

What's your thoughts on this?:oops:

Just to point out I would be supplying my own products as she uses a different Colour house which I am not keen on.

You're either self employed or employed.

There's no middle ground.

Hi jessec2000

If it's not a rental how will it work? Will you be able to use the space for free? Is it just so her new salon looks like there's bums on seats?

I know a salon that just started offering hair and they do this to attract more hair clients... but agreed for a limited time only. Make sure you discuss clearly what happens with walk ins/new clients.

The way she put it to me was that I could bring my clientele to her place for free (But I provide my own products) so whatever I make is mine, But in return I help her out with her clients (Washing,blow dry ect) When she is busy.. But I don't get paid..

Is this a silly idea?

You're either self employed or employed.

There's no middle ground.
I understand, So in your expert opinion what would you do? Team up as a self employed rental or be a part time worker as needed employee?
I have very limited knowledge in this area..:oops:

Or even just carrying on doing what I am doing from the house and let her steal all my customers..
Hi jessec2000

If it's not a rental how will it work? Will you be able to use the space for free? Is it just so her new salon looks like there's bums on seats?

I know a salon that just started offering hair and they do this to attract more hair clients... but agreed for a limited time only. Make sure you discuss clearly what happens with walk ins/new clients.
It does sound to me like "Bums on seats" but at the same time she said she doesn't want to employ and train so It might be use the space for free and take what I make but help her with her clients and I don't get paid.

I would tread very carefully. Here in London we tend to be on a commission basis starting as low as 30%. With that they supply all the products etc as well as assistants. What this person is offering you sounds more like a rental chair basis. Are you protected? It makes me nervous for you!!

Or even just carrying on doing what I am doing from the house and let her steal all my customers..
It does sound to me like "Bums on seats" but at the same time she said she doesn't want to employ and train so It might be use the space for free and take what I make but help her with her clients and I don't get paid.

So, she opens a new swanky salon, asks you to 'help out' for free and when all your current clients are rebooking with the salon, she says 'thanks and bye bye' as you have no contract in place.

I could be wrong BUT it sounds like she's spent all her money opening a new salon and doesn't have an existing clientele to actually support the venture so she needs to nick your clients.

Sorry, but I'm really not seeing how this benefits you or your business in any way?

Get some kind of contract or written agreement signed by both of you if you decided to do anything. I think it would make more sense for you to rent a chair off her tbh, and you both do your own clients with your own colour houses and products. Any "free" work is a bad idea and you will get screwed over. EIther offer to rent a chair and make sure the agreements are formal and work in your favour or say no thanks.

So, she opens a new swanky salon, asks you to 'help out' for free and when all your current clients are rebooking with the salon, she says 'thanks and bye bye' as you have no contract in place.

I could be wrong BUT it sounds like she's spent all her money opening a new salon and doesn't have an existing clientele to actually support the venture so she needs to nick your clients.

Sorry, but I'm really not seeing how this benefits you or your business in any way?
I am afraid your probably right...But the truth of the matter is my clients are going to her anyway because her swanky salon..And tbh I can understand a little... Oh to be able to give up my job and go at it full time in a lovely new salon would be my dream but at the min my bank manager tells me to wise up..lol

I am afraid your probably right...But the truth of the matter is my clients are going to her anyway because her swanky salon..And tbh I can understand a little... Oh to be able to give up my job and go at it full time in a lovely new salon would be my dream but at the min my bank manager tells me to wise up..lol

Stop stressing!!! ;)

It's not unusual for clients to try out a posh new salon from time to time. The question you need to answer is, will they return to her or you? It's repeat business that you need to cultivate not one day wonders.

Whether you subsequently rent a chair or not, concentrate on making your client experience fabulous by always treating them as if they are the most important person in your life at that moment. Posh surroundings won't cut it if the service is poor!

Stop stressing!!! ;)

It's not unusual for clients to try out a posh new salon from time to time. The question you need to answer is, will they return to her or you? It's repeat business that you need to cultivate not one day wonders.

Whether you subsequently rent a chair or not, concentrate on making your client experience fabulous by always treating them as if they are the most important person in your life at that moment. Posh surroundings won't cut it if the service is poor!
Thanks :) I do feel a little better now, Na I think its a bad idea, I think what you said is very true I am gonna work very hard on treating my clients exceptionally well when they are in my salon for now and see where it leads. Thanks all so much for your advice its much appreciated x;)

I'm not hair so just some thoughts.

Would it be worth renting a chair one day a week for those that like the salon experience? Would it be worth talking to her to see if there's another way to make it work?

The downside would be that would you then charge more for 'salon days'?

Do what you do excellently. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back