Teenagers today not getting jobs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was working weekends in a bakery from the age of 13 and supervising from 15.
Getting in at 5.30am and finishing at 5.30pm for very little wage. the money wasn't the reason I loved work it was getting out of the house.
From 13 I also volunteered after school mucking out horses and donkeys and being taught how to ride in return.

my 15yro daughter has been everywhere around our town and local area but its always the same story 'needs to be 16 and then she can join the waiting list'
Her friends are on the same waiting lists.
Its a shame that today's kids can't find work so easily but are desperately wanting to earn alongside college studies etc (here they have to go from secondary into 2yrs of college)
She already does volunteer coaching at the gymnastics club she trained at - gave up elite gymnastics 6days a week to concentrate on exams but didn't want to give it up totally.
I'm keeping all crossed that she finds a job after Christmas - her birthday is 27th Dec so she can't even get anything as a pre Christmas temp.
We are on a very limited income and live hand to mouth, she never asks for anything and never complains.
She does babysit for me if I get an evening treatment and she will get paid for it.
Apart from her 10.00 a month mobile top up she has no other money.
I do feel for youngsters who want to work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Victoria this reminds me of what I had to put up with when is was at school.

In the end I gave up until after a levels because I just couldn't get anything and it still took me about 6 months to get a job in a supermarket! But there just are no jobs :/ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have worked from the age of 13 and both my stepsons both had part time jobs, one worked at Matalan, the other did Bettaware and paper rounds.

They are now 20 and 18, one is a plumber and the other is in the Army and I'm immensely proud of both of them.

I've recruited for part time staff in my old job and often used to put up job adverts in the local college, one young lady bought an application form in, walked up to me (headphones in listening to her ipod) gave me the envelope and just as I was about to say 'thank you' she spun round and walked out without uttering a single word!

Michelle x

I feel so sorry for some of the teens here in Kansas,
there are too many rights and regs in the way ,
The law says they Have to be over 15
(I'm working in a superstore ) and they won't take anyone less than 16 1/2 years old,
And even then they (up to 18 years old) are only able to work until 10pm ,
Witch is a bit pants when we are open late for the holidays. They want to earn more and just can't.

It's amusing to me to as by 18 I had my own home and family ! ( in England so different rules applied )

On a side note I don't know where people get the money from to support there teens that have it all .Some seem to have the best phones , electronics , clothing , shoes and accessors going ,
Yet the family's live in normal homes in normal streets and seem to work normal jobs.

My first job apart from baby sitting was at a dried flower place dipping the flowers in dye for 2 pound am hour. I can't remember my parents ever asking me to get a job ether, or pressurising me, I think back then (in the 90s) it must of been the done thing. I then cleaned caravans at a holiday park, then went on to waitress. The thing is I also remember when I was a kid, there was this thing at the local riding stables where you could drop your kids off in the morning they could have an hours ride cheaper as in the afternoon we had to muck out the horses and clean all the tack. That was just how it was, a good way to learn also that of you wanted to have a horse, you have to learn all the hard stuff too. I used to feel so tired after, but that was the deal. I am glad I started this thread as I thaught it was just me being a fuddy duddy but it seems this can be the case across the board x

Im only 26
But when i left school at 15 ( because i was one of the youngest int he year)
I was up at 4 am 6 days a week with my mum to work in our bakery making bread an all the rolls for our deli side,
When that was done the other staff start arriving setting the counter up
Then me and my mum would start on all our home made cake and pies etc
We finish at 2 xx

Then when i started beauty school id do college , my salon placement and when i could the bakery xx

I know some teenagers now or even 21 year olds who still depends on there parents xx

It really is tough being a teenager looking for work nowadays and there are so many like my daughter who are constantly looking but not getting anywhere. In 9 months she only had 1 interview for "outfit" and it wasn't a proper 1 to 1 interview but 20 girls sat in a semi circle having to give quick witted answers to random scenarios. She said all the gobby ones talked over the rest and everyone nicked each others answers! Needless to say she never got the job. The thing is aswell all the employers, especially for the Xmas temp jobs, are saying they want experience but how are the poor kids going to get experience if no one gives them a break?!

My daughter has since set up her own website and gets paid by advertisers on it so she does earn a little bit but she also wants a "proper" job too, for experience of a work place.

Just wish someone would give these poor kids a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to be a teen in this day and age as its so bloody hard going.

I'm probably going to get some hate for this, but there are ALWAYS care jobs available, in the past week I have seen atleast ten advertisements looking for people, no experience needed as they train you up, a lot of my friends are unemployed and claim they can't find a job, but refuse to do caring jobs...if your that desperate you'd do it xxx

Well I can honestly say my 16 year old daughter who is in sixth form looks EVERYDAY for a job but there are just none going or they have thousands of applicants and you're lucky to get an interview. She has been round all the local towns to us in every shop with her cv and glowing work experience reference and they all just send her away and say to look online. She has a massive list that she checks every single day and emails her cv to if something comes up. She applied to Superdrug and got emails telling her that her application was being moved to the next stage, this went on for 2 weeks and went forward 4 times yet she still didn't get an interview! She has 15 GCSE's with amazing grades, is polite, well spoken, hard working yet just can't get anything! She is so demoralised and me and her dad can't afford to fund everything for her so her and her mates have all cut back on going out and just chill round each others houses or occasionally go for a cheap Toby carvery. I see with my own eyes how hard she is trying and really feel sorry for her as in my day it was so easy to get a Saturday job.

I do agree that some parents don't encourage their kids to get jobs and are happy to subsidise their amazing social lives but if like us, you can't afford to do that, it's so hard on the poor teenager.

I can empathise with this. I think so many people (maybe even myself at 25) feel demoralised these days. It is so so hard to get a job and in a lot of entry level jobs they don't treat you well (sending you home after a couple of hours when it's quiet, changing your shifts at the last minute, denying lunch breaks...I could go on). It just makes you think "Is this all I've got to look forward to?!"

Young people are constantly being sent the message that there's not much out there. There is no confidence anymore and it feels like even the most low paying jobs are beyond what the above average candidate can aspire to.

I also resent the whole "beggars can't be choosers" type of attitude because in my opinion, that is like telling someone that they should feel ashamed and guilty for not wanting to do absolutely anything and everything out of sheer desperation. It shouldn't be like that.

Last edited:
I got my first job at 14, cleaning the Taylor Woodrow offices, 2 hours every evening. I was rubbish, but I stuck at it. Got a few bottles of tippex and pens for school as a bonus every now and again ;)

I left school at 16 and my mum and dad sai I better start working and contributing. So I got a YTS scheme and got paid 25 pound a week. I had to give my mum a fiver out of it.

I wasn't happy about it at the time but I am ahard worker and it gas always tauggt me the value of money , my money.

My kids don't get it at all. I explained it over and over but they think I was lucky to. Be earning from a young age. They think I was lucky to have had a car at 18 and a mortgage at 19.

I blame xbox mostly, and media etc. Its warped their brains. My daughter wants money, I say okay I'll just go and do 5 hours of nails without a break and come home and hand ny earnings to you.

Crazy thing is, I do it. Im brainwashed too.:confused:
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My first job was at 13 and was.... Wait for it.., waitressing at Wimpy for £1.40 per hour (with £2 knocked off for lunch which was a basic burger and fries) I would work all day and come home with about £10!!! Lol

Whilst I was at school I did not want a job and my mum and dad supported this decision. It wasn't about me being lazy or expecting everything to be handed to me it was about me wanting to put 100% into my school work. It paid off for me in the end as I did very well in my exams etc. Some people can take on school, jobs, life and still come out on top of everything but I knew if I got a job whilst in the middle of school it would suffer and I wouldn't do as well.
I've never been a person who demands things from their parents. I never had a brand new phone or latest designer gear. I was happy and grateful for what I did have.
I know all too well that there are teenagers out there who just don't want to do anything and expect everything at the same time but don't tar all teenagers with the same brush.
As somebody else has said it is harder for teenagers to get jobs now. In my village the shops around us won't hire anybody unless they are 18 which is a bit rubbish.

It is too bad that most young people in your area are having a hard time finding jobs. and I get that school is important but the school will never teach you how to deal with people in the everyday situations. Hands on is what it boils down to. That sais, I have to agree with what other posters are saying, I live in Calgary, Alberta.. the land of oil and riches and this province cannot satisfy the growing number of job positions! Oil industry has brought many many people here and the demand for jobs is UP however the kids refuse to work at McD, coffee shops, restaurants etc... why? Cause mommy and daddy will get them whatever they need!

It is too bad that most young people in your area are having a hard time finding jobs. and I get that school is important but the school will never teach you how to deal with people in the everyday situations. Hands on is what it boils down to. That sais, I have to agree with what other posters are saying, I live in Calgary, Alberta.. the land of oil and riches and this province cannot satisfy the growing number of job positions! Oil industry has brought many many people here and the demand for jobs is UP however the kids refuse to work at McD, coffee shops, restaurants etc... why? Cause mommy and daddy will get them whatever they need!

Meant to say, the demand for employees has gone up, but no one wants to work. You can walk down the street for a block and every storefront will have a sign, Help Needed. Another thing you see a lot of, is kids just hanging out after school for hours and hours with nothing to do because they have it all.

Latest posts

Back