Teeth whitening courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BDA,GCD,NHS and dental protection.org all say it is illegal.Dental protection.org state that from October 2012 that dental professionals ie dentists,dental nurses,hygienists can preform teeth whitening with the solution now being up to 6% no where does it state that non dental professionals can offer this service.
Exactly and this is why I would have concerns about anyone paying out for training in it, no matter the percentage of bleaching agent used only a dental professional can be qualified to assess suitability for treatment, so at the risk of receiving a few misguided comments on here I strongly feel that if by speaking up about the safety, ethics and legality surrounding this subject it means someone saves their money then it's all good as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Stumbled across the website of the lady who got prosecuted by the GDC for teeth whitening

http://www.lornajamous.com/
That is not Lorna Jamous' site but rather is owned by someone with serious issues with dental professionals! They have paid her to highlight her case and use her name.

That is not Lorna Jamous' site but rather is owned by someone with serious issues with dental professionals! They have paid her to highlight her case and use her name.

I understood it as it was her site but she had it written through freespeechreform.com? Although I thought free speech was legal in the UK too... Confused :/

In regards to the initial query- if you are ' skint' why not just upgrade on your existing offers, treatments and products before throwing more money at some thing else? You say you're a salon so what about free nail art with every shellac, half price manicure with every pedi etc ( obv depending on what you currently offer)

This way you'll generate new interest around what you're already good at, hopefully get some new clients and then with all the money you take you can then put that into further training and additional services if you still think you'd like to in a few months time

Cash in on the summer- everyone will be putting their toes and the legs away again soon!!!!!

X

The GDC are paid by the dentists so its not really surprising they don't like therapists carrying out teeth whitening.

I'm not an expert on teeth whitening but I believed the products therapists used were not as strong as what dentists use and could do no more damage than the whiteners you can buy in boots?

So if they're as weak as what you can buy in boots then why bother 'training' in teeth whitening when the result will be rubbish.

It just seems that so many BT's jump on the bandwagon to make a quick buck. Teeth whitening should be left to the people that are qualified and know about it.

The GDC are paid by the dentists so its not really surprising they don't like therapists carrying out teeth whitening.

I'm not an expert on teeth whitening but I believed the products therapists used were not as strong as what dentists use and could do no more damage than the whiteners you can buy in boots?

The GDC are the UK regulatory body for dentistry in the UK. Unlike beauty regulation (of which there is none and membership of professional bodies is optional - and the professional bodies are commercially driven and standards vary a great deal), the law requires that anyone practicing dentistry or dental procedures is a member and holds appropriate qualifications. It's purpose is to maintain standards and so protect the public.

The reason I asked this question was because it is a very popular treatment and I have had it done twice myself. I love it!

So if they're as weak as what you can buy in boots then why bother 'training' in teeth whitening when the result will be rubbish.

It just seems that so many BT's jump on the bandwagon to make a quick buck. Teeth whitening should be left to the people that are qualified and know about it.

I don't know what the results are like, I've not had any teeth whitening. But I feel it's like saying facials should left to dermatologists. It's not like the products used by BTs need to be prescribed by a dentist.

If there was lots of stories of salon teeth whitening going horribly wrong I could understand, but it just feels like a monopoly is being created.

I'm a deep thinker I question everything ;)

(I don't offer teeth whitening nor do I intend to BTW lol)

Hi geeks, I'm a therapist of 12 years and my husband is a dentist, I know this thread has gone off topic but I really wish therapists would leave teeth alone it is so scary to miss the slightest contraindication of the mouth (i would hate to miss something like oral cancer - extremley bad) and I would never feel confident enough to mess about with it all.

We all want to make money (I have my own small beauty room) but I like to put my effort into being as excellent as I can be in all the beauty treatments I offer and a lot of the time I feel some of us try to do as many things as we can and Offer everything that is in now!

I did nail enhancements for a while and although I loved them I felt I was only good at tips, and basic placing of diamanté s I was crap at sculpts and gave it up as I feel I am better at natural nails and my geleration, I don't have the time to do all the lovely fancy things that great nail techs do.

Bleaching is a prescription. I could only imagine my husband trying to do some of my treatments lol. We all train in our areas for good reason xx

I've been a dental nurse for 25 years and I'd love to see my boss have a go at providing beauty treatments! Leave treatments in the hands of people they belong with.

The GDC would like people to believe that teeth whitening by a non dental professional is illegal. It is not. Do you really think that these companies and individual practitioners would really be able to operate on the scale that they do, advertising their services freely on the web and obtaining insurance if it were illegal? The only cases where non dentists have been prosecuted by the GDC is where the practitioner caused injury to the client and had no insurance.

Talk to "The Teeth Whitening Company", they gave me lots of information on the legality of whitening procedures in the EU. Remember we are governed by EU law whatever the GDC might want to claim.

Hi geeks, I'm a therapist of 12 years and my husband is a dentist, I know this thread has gone off topic but I really wish therapists would leave teeth alone it is so scary to miss the slightest contraindication of the mouth (i would hate to miss something like oral cancer - extremley bad) and I would never feel confident enough to mess about with it all.

We all want to make money (I have my own small beauty room) but I like to put my effort into being as excellent as I can be in all the beauty treatments I offer and a lot of the time I feel some of us try to do as many things as we can and Offer everything that is in now!

I did nail enhancements for a while and although I loved them I felt I was only good at tips, and basic placing of diamanté s I was crap at sculpts and gave it up as I feel I am better at natural nails and my geleration, I don't have the time to do all the lovely fancy things that great nail techs do.

Bleaching is a prescription. I could only imagine my husband trying to do some of my treatments lol. We all train in our areas for good reason xx

I feel exactly the same, at best these treatments are having a minimal effect, at worst they are damaging people's teeth, it really makes me cross and I find it disturbing. If you want to treat teeth, get your medical degree and study dentistry, then you whiten people's teeth safely and effectively.
For the comments regarding this issue being on a level as facials being left to Dermatologists??? not really :-D but there are plenty of boundaries being pushed within our industry and that's a whole different topic. If everyone stuck to offering relevant treatments it would be safer and qualified therapists and aestheticians would regain the respect they rightly deserve.
With regards to the original post, my advice would be to concentrate on bettering the services you already offer rather than forking out on a treatment that is so very contentious, perhaps you could speak to a local cosmetic dentist and cross refer treatments if you are interested in this area?

The GDC would like people to believe that teeth whitening by a non dental professional is illegal. It is not. Do you really think that these companies and individual practitioners would really be able to operate on the scale that they do, advertising their services freely on the web and obtaining insurance if it were illegal? The only cases where non dentists have been prosecuted by the GDC is where the practitioner caused injury to the client and had no insurance.

Talk to "The Teeth Whitening Company", they gave me lots of information on the legality of whitening procedures in the EU. Remember we are governed by EU law whatever the GDC might want to claim.
Italy is in the EU the last time I checked and only dentists can whiten teeth, legally :) likewise we don't have this ridiculous situation regarding medical treatments being carried out by non medical providers. The UK is well known for its loopholes and lack of official regulation which hopefully will very soon change.

ABC Hair & Beauty Supplies & Training in Dunfermline offer training courses in partnership with Pearlys Teeth Whitening and are very reasonable.

Latest posts

Back