Teeth whitening courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerTips

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm considering providing teeth whitening in my salon. Where would be best? I'm skint so I'm looking into courses that are reasonably priced? Any ideas?
Thanks x

I've done my training through love lite, absolutely brilliant. Their packages including training start from £1100.

Only dentists can legally carry out teeth whitening.

It maybe worth checking out the GDC website and where the law stand regarding tooth whitening and non dental professionals.

I also work in dentistry and have seen first hand the horrors of teeth whitening done by non dental professionals.

Only dentists can legally carry out teeth whitening.

It maybe worth checking out the GDC website and where the law stand regarding tooth whitening and non dental professionals.

I also work in dentistry and have seen first hand the horrors of teeth whitening done by non dental professionals.
100% agree. This tooth whitening craze in salons by non dentists baffles and scares me. Check with the GDC and I would strongly suggest finding another more relevant treatment to add to your services.

The law relating to teeth whitening changed on 31 October 2012 whereby trained technicians can legally carry out teeth whitening using no more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide. Only qualified dentists can use higher than this up to 6%. Love lite obviously abide by this law and have fab results

The law relating to teeth whitening changed on 31 October 2012 whereby trained technicians can legally carry out teeth whitening using no more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide. Only qualified dentists can use higher than this up to 6%. Love lite obviously abide by this law and have fab results
But why would someone go for their teeth to a beauty salon? How can you check if they are suitable for treatment or deal with it if they have a problem? I am sorry but it doesn't seem right :-/

The training is a lot more in depth than people realise. You are trained in dealing with contraindications just like you are in any other beauty/cosmetic procedure. It's a very lucrative and safe treatment to offer.

If I wanted to do teeth i would have trained properly and become a dentist or dental therapist not just interested in potentially damaging someone's gums to make a quick few quid

Just my opinion

If I wanted to do teeth i would have trained properly and become a dentist or dental therapist not just interested in potentially damaging someone's gums to make a quick few quid

Just my opinion
Mine too!!

So what would happen if you needed a filling and you couldn't see the hole or the client had very sensitive teeth that they didn't tell you about or they had a gum infection or an infected tooth that you couldn't see then what.

It's luducris that anyone can train in tooth whitening.

A friend of mine went to get her teeth whitened, one tooth didn't whiten as much as the rest and the girl said she would need to go to the dentist and get them to whiten it from the inside??? My first reaction was....what? Lol don't know if this girl was talking crap or if you really can get this done but it just sounded so dumb to me :s and think I'd personally rather go to a dentist if I wanted this done, not a beauty salon

A friend of mine went to get her teeth whitened, one tooth didn't whiten as much as the rest and the girl said she would need to go to the dentist and get them to whiten it from the inside??? My first reaction was....what? Lol don't know if this girl was talking crap or if you really can get this done but it just sounded so dumb to me :s and think I'd personally rather go to a dentist if I wanted this done, not a beauty salon
Yes this is a procedure to have a tooth bleached from the inside...however if this person had gone to the dentist in the first place for whitening then it would have been done properly :-/

These are your opinions and my opinion is that you cannot possibly slate anything that you do not know the full facts about! The OP asked for details on training courses so think its gone off topic! If you can't help with the initial request, I think it's wise not to comment, you can argue the toss until you are blue in the face, however it's perfectly legal to carry out teeth whitening as a beauty treatment at the safe legal level and it's irreverent as to if you personally would have it done at a salon or not, with respect the op is not asking if you would have it done or whether you believe in it!

Yes this is a procedure to have a tooth bleached from the inside...however if this person had gone to the dentist in the first place for whitening then it would have been done properly :-/

Well it was up to her who she went to, to get it done. But I don't do it and never will, just thought when she told me this that it was a bit strange as I'd never heard it before

These are your opinions and my opinion is that you cannot possibly slate anything that you do not know the full facts about! The OP asked for details on training courses so think its gone off topic! If you can't help with the initial request, I think it's wise not to comment, you can argue the toss until you are blue in the face, however it's perfectly legal to carry out teeth whitening as a beauty treatment at the safe legal level and it's irreverent as to if you personally would have it done at a salon or not, with respect the op is not asking if you would have it done or whether you believe in it!

Actually I do know quite a lot about it due to a lot of friends being qualified dentists and therapists who trained for many years before placing someones teeth in their hands who would actually not whiten the majority if people's teeth who walk through their doors due to lacking in basic dental hygiene, needing a proper clean or treatments on their gums and teeth. It's common knowledge that a lot if people don't even have a dentist or regular appointments.

Sorry to disappoint but it does happen to be something I know a fair bit about :-D

Last edited:
The GDC are paid by the dentists so its not really surprising they don't like therapists carrying out teeth whitening.

I'm not an expert on teeth whitening but I believed the products therapists used were not as strong as what dentists use and could do no more damage than the whiteners you can buy in boots?

I think my comment and others are very relevant to this subject.therapists trained in tooth whitening are not dentists it takes dentists years of training to recognise problems within the mouth and the dos and donts.There is no way you would learn all this on a tooth whitening course which would mean that you would be putting your clients in potential danger.

That is fact

The General Dental Council (GDC) has successfully prosecuted a beautician for carrying out tooth whitening, which is the practice of dentistry.

Only those registered with the GDC – specifically dentists or dental hygienists and therapists working on a dentist’s prescription – may lawfully offer tooth whitening as a treatment.

On Friday 3 August 2012 Elaine Taylor-Valles of Merseyside faced two charges at Preston Magistrates’ Court.

It was alleged:

She unlawfully practised dentistry by carrying out tooth whitening in Southport when she was not registered with the GDC contrary to the Dentists Act 1984;
She unlawfully carried on the business of dentistry when she is not entitled to do so contrary to the Dentists Act 1984.
The GDC investigated after receiving a complaint from a member of the public about the manner in which her teeth had been whitened. During correspondence with the GDC, Ms Taylor-Valles admitted to being a ‘fully qualified beautician’, a title which is not recognised by the GDC.

The court has fined her £600 on each of the offences below and ordered her to pay £3,277 towards the GDC costs.

Advice for the public

Anyone considering having tooth whitening should see their GDC-registered dentist so they can assess whether treatment would be right or appropriate for them. Registered dental hygienists and dental therapists can also carry out tooth whitening on the prescription of a dentist.

Free copies of the GDC’s patient leaflet “Considering tooth whitening” can be ordered from the GDC’s website www.gdc-uk.org

Here is a link also to the British Dental Association site and public information regarding the legality and safety of non dental professionals carrying out teeth whitening procedures

http://www.bda.org/public/whitening/

BDA,GCD,NHS and dental protection.org all say it is illegal.Dental protection.org state that from October 2012 that dental professionals ie dentists,dental nurses,hygienists can preform teeth whitening with the solution now being up to 6% no where does it state that non dental professionals can offer this service.

Latest posts

Back