Telling your customers to be quiet for lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy89

Reaction score
How do you all inform your customers politely that they must not talk while you do their lashes . My customers are crazy chatter boxes!!

Just explain to them, that they need to remain still for the entire treatment, which includes minimal speaking and explain that movement of the mouth obviously has an effect on the eyes. Just make sure you have music on or something in the background to keep them relaxed, never know, might send them to sleep! Good luck x

I agree with SambucaBeau. Tell them you musn't talk because you have to concentrate. Once they realise they'll only get silence out of you, they might actually fall asleep, especially if you put soft dreamy music on. There's a massage therapist I go to who says, before the session starts, 'no talking, I don't talk during the treatment' and you know where you stand then. The emphasis is on YOU not doing any talking. If they still insist, then you have to be firm and say that they must not talk.

I'm a believer of talking to your clients, making them feel comfortable, relaxed, enjoying their experience with you.

I'm a chatter box myself, I couldn't think of anything worse than not being able to talk. I would rather see a lash technician who is friendly and willing to chat than someone who says no talking.

Obviously no exaggerated expressions of the face but I think there's only a rare few that are very animated.

And it goes without saying, I'm purely speaking about lashing, I think it's different for facials and massages.

Sorry but a friendly lash tech is much nicer than someone telling me I can't talk!

If you're finding it difficult chatting and lashing maybe spend 10 mins chatting then explain that you need to concentrate, at least that gives a reason for the non talking rule xx

💋💋

I have had my lashes applied by a couple of techs none have told me not to talk, I'd be quite put off if they did but then again I like chatting thru a massage too..

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

I chat in the beginning but gradually i find my client is getting relaxed and dozed off :D on that point i remain silent till the end unless she starts back; and i m sure its not me who is rude its the client who wants to relax now :o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

There is definitely an art to knowing when your client wants to chat and when they want to sleep or relax, but that should be the clients choice not the lash artists enforced decision xx

Chatting to my husband about this thread. I really think it's important to make your client feel special. I have clients who have been with me approx 4 years, can you imagine seeing the same person every 3 weeks and never talking to them! Yikes xxxx

Last edited:
It takes me double the time to do a set when I talk :(

I find it easier to work faster when they are not talking as some people start gesturing and fidgeting and won't stay still. I always play relaxing music and this usually puts them to sleep or calms them down a bit. If they are talking too much you have to politely explain that their facial expressions and movement when talking cause the eyes to twitch and it's very difficult to apply a lash in the right position if they are moving so they won't look as neat. If they get offended well tough because if you don't apply a perfect set, they don't see it that way!

I never speak to my clients for the following reasons :

I find that talking makes the cheek muscles move, this causes pads to shift and lower lashes to pop out from pads which can cause those lashes that get stuck together

If pads shift they can cut up into the eye and causing bruising on the eye ball

When most clients talk their eyes flicker and working with sharp tweezers and glue poses a risk to them

Also when eyes flicker the eyeball is exposed - cyanoacrylate in the glue loves moisture so will attach the eyeball and this is extremely painful for the client both during the treatment and the next few days and can lead to an over exposure to the product which eventually can result in allergic reactions

So for me talking poses a major health and safety to my clients and because of this request no taking and I explain why and they are always fine

I've learnt most clients actually enjoy some peace and quiet
An hour to just relax and have some ME time - and they say so

I put a meditation cd on for them
And they are soon asleep - don't forget a lot of our clients are busy ladies like ourselves and sometimes enjoy just an hour of peace.

It also allows me to get in the zone, work faster and cleaner etc.

I never speak to my clients for the following reasons :

I find that talking makes the cheek muscles move, this causes pads to shift and lower lashes to pop out from pads which can cause those lashes that get stuck together

If pads shift they can cut up into the eye and causing bruising on the eye ball

When most clients talk their eyes flicker and working with sharp tweezers and glue poses a risk to them

Also when eyes flicker the eyeball is exposed - cyanoacrylate in the glue loves moisture so will attach the eyeball and this is extremely painful for the client both during the treatment and the next few days and can lead to an over exposure to the product which eventually can result in allergic reactions

So for me talking poses a major health and safety to my clients and because of this request no taking and I explain why and they are always fine

I've learnt most clients actually enjoy some peace and quiet
An hour to just relax and have some ME time - and they say so

I put a meditation cd on for them
And they are soon asleep - don't forget a lot of our clients are busy ladies like ourselves and sometimes enjoy just an hour of peace.

It also allows me to get in the zone, work faster and cleaner etc.

Sorry Francine but I have NONE of these issues x

Ultimately it's what the client wants to do and if it works for you to tell your clients not to talk and they are happy, then so be it, I just couldn't imagine seeing my clients every 3 weeks for in excess of 4 years and NEVER talking to them! I'm not saying one has to chat throughout and Ofcourse it is an art to know when your busy client wants to relax, but to enforce a rule seems sad to me.

As I said, if it works for you then fab :)

Much love x

Last edited:
You have to speak to your clients, some have nervous dispositions and you have to make them feel comfortable! If you can't concentrate then a nice simply put "im gonna be quiet for a few minutes while i do this fiddly bit" seems alot politer than can you "shhh it as i may get glue in your eye!!!!"

Dont be afraid to be honest with your clients if you need to concentrate xoxo

Totally agree with frankie!!

I wouldn't dream of telling my clients to be quiet.
There are many lash techs out there these days and I'm always very grateful that they choose to spend their cash with me. Part of my job is to make their appointment as enjoyable as possible. That includes knowing when they want to chat and knowing when they want me to be quiet.
If they are very animated talkers, it tends to be the need to move their hands thay causes excessive movement and I explain that to them if it's really necessary.

As a lasher, you have the advantage of not needing to make eye contact to chat with your client, there is nothing to make you look up from your work. If you find you're slower while talking, you need to concentrate on talking with your mouth and not with your hands. It's just another skill that has to be practiced and perfected.... but even if it does take you a little extra time, I think it's time well spent to make sure your client has an enjoyable appointment and wants to return.

I just tell them that they are free to chat but that they must speak like a ventriloquist as their cheek muscles can't move at all. I explain all the reasons why and I'd say 80% fall asleep as I have spa/meditation music playing and they are snuggled under a cozy blanket. 😊

I love chatting with my clients and it doesn't effect the length of time it takes me so I'd rather be having a laugh with my client than having no conversation, they may feel awkward sat there in silence but thats just my opinion

You can tell your customers to place a cold spoon on each eye which is a quick step for treating puffy eyes. Yes, its true that women can't keep quite for long.

That's silly. It's nice to have some quiet time. Surely when you have a massage you are quiet

No I would never say shh it might get in your eye. I say 'right I'm going to ask you to be quiet for the duration for health & safety as I'm using very sharp tweezers'

That's silly. It's nice to have some quiet time. Surely when you have a massage you are quiet

how is it silly? it's personal preference... I feel awkward if I dont make conversation with my clients and my clients always come back to me, they might enjoy a girly chat whilst getting a pamper, if they don't speak then fine I always have radio on for some background noise

Latest posts

Back