Terrible hair disaster please help...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyBombshell

Reaction score
I work as a beauty therapist in a salon that also has a hairdressers and barbers.
It was a quiet day and I was due my 6 weekly colour.

I normally have bleach applied straight to the roots for 10mins, then a lower % through the ends for about 10mins. Then I have an ash toner to take out any gold put on for 5 mins.

Well this time i ask the stylist what bleach shes using she says 40vol on the roots and 30vol on the ends. when done she put a cap on my head and went to do a client. about 45 mins later bleach is washed off, toner put on. I said i liked the silver/almost grey blonde so she said she would mix ash and a violet. and left it for 30mins.

obv my scalp was on fire and when it was finally washed and attempted to be dried...

well i went to the hospital the next morning with 1st and 2nd degree burns on my scalp, bald patches (one just bigger than a £2 coin) and my hair is matted together and snapping off at the slightest touch. when wet, if i use a large tooth comb it comes out easily in clumps. dermatologist has tole me there is no permanent damage, and the hair will grow back.

So i havent washed my hair or been back to work in 2 weeks and ive bought a wig. The hairdresser who did it is convinced Kerastace will fix it.... another hairdresser has told me to just shave it and start again.

What do you think about the whole sorry situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Please no sympathy i'm all cried out x x x

Michelle x x

hey huni!, uve been there n back aint ya? not wat u wana hear i know, but i am crestfallen afta readin ur story n im truley sorry on behalf of all hair professionals, 4 the incompetence of ur perhaps 'semi retarded stylist':eek: the only way 2 go is to make adue wit wat u got left, shave, n start again.wen it grows back it will be stronger than if u leave it to fill in the gaps of its own accord.not 2 worry poppet no permanent side effects keep it up wit the wig, n eventually wen tha time comes wen your hairs back to its original state n u decide 2 colour it ha!:lol:,(im guessin not in the near future though) id go 2 an experienced colourist. keep ya head high sweetie n i gotta say u r handelin this extremely well if that bitch did that 2 me well......:evil::evil::evil: thats anotha story enuf bout me lol:eek::lol::green: i wish you all tha very best ma dear,if theres anythen else ya need 2 get off ya chest just holla grlfrend!!:cool::green:
cheerio!! emza xx

Oh my god.

Almost every step she got it wrong. NEVER 40 vol with bleach Never on the roots. Never comb bleach through. Never cover with a cap.

What has the salon owner said? The stylist is incompetant and dangerous.

Shaving would be really traumatic for you and you have been through enough. A short haircut x 3 will get rid of it. Kerastase is a good range, but the hair is past fixing.

from a professional point of view, the girl should be sacked and in my opinion this is where we should have some kind of governing body. she is beyond incompetent, faaaaaaar beyond incompetent...i think i would die if someone i employed did that.

don't shave it. as persianista said, its too much for you to take, just get it rumped.

and as for kerastase fixing it...when the f*** did they bring out a burn antiseptic cream or a flaming stick your hair back on your head shampoo???????

The cheek of this girl to stand there and still be cocky about this (I would be at your house begging for forgiveness...)

So in summary...a good short cut, no colour or straighteners, use GOOD QUALITY shampoo, conditioner, mask etc. Good luck honey xxx

Wow! Poor you! It is now just a waiting game, as the others said. I think I would be suing if it were me.

I knew a stylist that used to put 12% and bleach in foils and leave it for 50 mins.:eek:

I have technical notes in my contracts that bleach and 40 is not allowed to be used in my salon. Either on or off scalp.

Personally I would claim from the salons treatment insurance.

bleach and 40 is either laziness or miseducation. anyway neither should be tolerated.

bleach and 40 is either laziness or miseducation. anyway neither should be tolerated.

Normally laziness. Hairdressers who want to get the job done quick!

I have technical notes in my contracts that bleach and 40 is not allowed to be used in my salon. Either on or off scalp.

That is a really good idea. I am in the process of re-writing my contracts, I'll think I'll add that. Do you have a full technical breakdown of dos and don'ts in your contracts?

persianista we hav to stop meetinng like this heh heh:lol::eek::lol: again everything u sed was ma exact thoughts....marry me haha:lol: mayb goin 4 a crop look wuld b beta 4 ur mental well being,and kimi mate i culdnt hav sed it beta myself!!:D unreal some ov the untrained/inexpeirienced fu&% heds ya come across who pass themselves off as professionals,n cock-ups lyk this happen makin us real artists ov our craft get punished n we gota wear it-ha! BALLS!!:grr::eek: anyway,movin on the regime kimi suggests is def the way 2 go!:green: hope things go smooth:Demza xx

Yes I do. I identified certain salon practices that I didnt want happening, or that had happened and I was unhappy about, and did a sheet of technical requirements.
EG the bleach and 40 stuff
documented skin tests
client records
no intermixing of brands
manufacturers instructions followed.
no therapists using hair equipment and vice versa
Without digging up the page, cant think what the others were.

i like to have analogys in my salon.....my bleach one is this.....

if you are baking a lovely cake and it says on the instructions "bake at 200 degrees for 20 mins" if you bash it in at 300 degrees for 10 mins will the cake be as lovely as if you followed the instructions? No. It will probably be uncooked in the middle and burnt to a crisp on the outside. All because your laziness thought i'll save 10 mins. best to take more time for it to slow cook :D

Very true Kim, when bleaching hair for ext, the process takes about 3 weeks as it is done really slowly. This preserves the condition.
Ok we cant do that on the head, but it is a lesson to learn. Slow is good.

Very good Kim!

I think you have set my Sunday morning brain a whirring Dawn. Going slightly off topic, do you write your own contracts or get a solicitor to do them? At the moment I use pre-written ones from the NHF but I was wondering what the best way was to go. Hmm...

i know i am in learning mode after reading the iona thread...i wanna learn something!!!! i got my contracts made by a solicitor, reasonably priced. and they are helping me with a sticky situation right now so i am glad i did it. x

Peninsula do the main bit, I did the industry specific bit.

Not that it made a jot of difference with the way my staff behaved.

To be honest, if a stylist of mine did this to someones hair, I would sack them. We do not allow dangerous, sloppy practices in my salon.

I made my name doing technical hairdressing so it is my specialty. My stylists are all **** hot colour techs.

I am lucky, the staff I have left are good colourists and if they do get stuck or want a second opinion they ask me. I love colouring especially the technical side. The problem is too many stylists think they know it all when it comes to colouring and never continue to train. I have been hairdresser 20+ years but I still do various colouring courses every 18 months. That side of the industry is forever evolving and at the moment fast!

I'm just thinking about when I am adding new staff or covering my ass with contracts in the future. I am learning very quickly that you cannot always rely on staff doing the right thing.

I am going to order the Iona on Tuesday Kim. I can't wait to get my hands on that baby! The rep also left me loads of products to entice me and I forgot how much I liked Serie Expert. Thinking about binning the Tigi and going to that. I bloody hate Tigi!

L'oreal own redken, soit is worth asking about the high lift blondes they may supply without you becoming a full stockist. Tell em Persianista recommended, I am one of the biggest London accounts!

I will do! Is Redken only available direct? I am off to Sallys at the end of the week. I am thinking of just getting some high lifts from all the ranges there and having a play.

Yes they are only direct. They do an AV (ash voilet) whisch is the cleanest blonde high lift ever,

Hang on, have we switched threads here?!

Yes they are only direct. They do an AV (ash voilet) whisch is the cleanest blonde high lift ever,

Hang on, have we switched threads here?!

I think we have! :)

Latest posts

Back