Terrible hair disaster please help...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our hair is so important, thats why we have to take our trade seriously and campaign to get training standards up. It is no use having little stylists fully up to speed on their equal ops and workers rights but no clue how to safely use, transport and store the chemicals that are the tools of their trade.

Similar happened to me about 6 years ago, before I took up hairdressing. No one could understand it as the lady used a cap for bleach highlights. I am a base 9 with golden tones so god knows why they used bleach, i did tell her I didnt want bleach blonde. She left me under a dryer for more than 20 mins while she went to do someone elses hair, no idea on the peroxide strength, but I'd imagine it was a high vol one for the damage it did and the time she left me there. I started to feel a burning sensation on the top of head right on my parting area, I told her and she told me that I would feel that, EH?? I was practically told I had ringworm and allsorts to defend their side.

She rinsed it all off and my hair was cotton wool. I had burning sensations in 3 places, like a triangle dot to dot. The 2 smaller burns healed up but the one on my parting area scabbed over and dropped off with a clump of hair. I was told it may grow back and had to have it dressed for a while. 6 years later I have a bald patch the size of £1 and have had to opt for a side parting to keep it covered. it is a nightmare when in the sun, easily sun burnt so have to keep it covered or wear my hear back.

I am left with a delve in my head where it is.

Hope it does grow back as I know how you feel.

The same happened to me when I was a trainee. My waist length hair was pulled through a cap(!?) and then smothered in bleach, 12% and heat. I am around an 8 base naturally. It actually burnt a hole in the cap, I was only 17 and my hair had to be chopped into a short bob. This taught me two things, never trust what a stylist says is okay just because they have been in the industry longer and how to bloody foil! :)

I thought it was a rite of passage. At some point all trainees have to sob in the staff room with a mound of melted hair in front of them.

See I have been too kind to my trainees. They have all had great hair but look where that has left me! I should have 'punished' them with bad hair, just in case...:biggrin::biggrin:

Thankyou everyone.

Persianista - my boss hasn't done a thing, the stylist who did it was mortified and offered to giver her notice, but my boss wouldn't take it. I've been off work since it happened, it's a difficult situation my boss is very unsympathetic and the girl who did it was somebody i considered a 'friend'.

So all in all, when i can bring myself to do it, i should have a few good haircuts to get rid of the damaged hair.

x x

Aw come down to Chislehurst for the day and I'l give you a super new haircut x

awwww can i come for a hair cut too????? :p

or do i have to bleach me head to bits to qualify?

your boss sounds like a complete tube. i would have been jumping for joy if this girl offered her notice, would save me the hassle of making her redundant. what u supposed to tell clients when they ask where your hair has gone? "bozo brain out there burnt it off"

ugghhhh i get rage about things like this. you have sufered a whole lot!!

I was in a similar situation 2 year ago, although not quite a bad. I went in for my roots and they applied a high lift blonde. The hairdresser did not mix the colours to counteract the warmth or she did not use the correct vol (or both) and my roots turned orange. After complaining to the arkward manager I managed to get a free colour correction. The hairdresser applied bleach on the roots, and took it through the ends then applied a toner which turned my hair kharki and grey! and I still had orange roots. (I still have the photos of the disaster). My hair was like straw and snapping off when I brushed it. I spoke to the manager on the phone and she refused to correct the colour her reason was 'I already had £70 worth of colour for £35'

Even if she allowed me another free correction I dont think I would have accepted as I had lost faith in the salon after two attempts to correct my colour. She would not even give me a refund or money to get it corrected else where. So I had to phone trading standards and take it through a small claims court. As soon as she received the court letter her solicitor sent me a cheque with the money I requested (Refund plus colour correction at another salon). My colour was not corrected in one salon visit so I should have asked for more. I contated the local newpaper to give them my story and shorthly after she sold the salon and opened another 5 miles away.

You are in a difficult situation as you work at the salon but I think you still should ask for some sort of compensation. Compensation which you can use to buy wigs or hair extensions and also for your burnt scalp. The girl who done it should have also been sacked for neglect. Good Luck x

I feel awful for you as I have had had my own hair disasters so i can empthasize but you said you dont want sympathy so i wont go on...
Anyway my point is you MUST sue for this. Absolutely must. This is why salon's have public liability insurance. I have it, your salon has it. You cannot let it go. If you do let it go, in a couple years time you'll say to yourself WHY didint i claim for that!?!!xxx

so sorry this has happened to u! i 100% agree with the above, please do not shave it off u have had enough trauma! have a good short haircut, plenty of moisturising shampoo and cond and good deep penetrating treatments, gently massage them into your scalp aswell it will help your skin to recover! leave off the colour and straighteners, a good hairdresser should never have to use bleach i do not allow it in my salon! hope this helps!:biggrin:

so sorry this has happened to u! i 100% agree with the above, please do not shave it off u have had enough trauma! have a good short haircut, plenty of moisturising shampoo and cond and good deep penetrating treatments, gently massage them into your scalp aswell it will help your skin to recover! leave off the colour and straighteners, a good hairdresser should never have to use bleach i do not allow it in my salon! hope this helps!:biggrin:

Hi, I think bleach is fine if you are fully trained and know exactly what you are doing with it .

obviously this girl who burnt this ladies head didnt !!!!......

but do you mean you don't allow bleach at all :eek: ?

What did the owner of your salon say about the job this stylist did on your hair?!?!?! I also agree with just giving yourself a short haircut. I think shaving it would just be too traumatic for you and I think the wig is just fine! What are you doing to soothe your scalp?

I alm also just cringing at this because my boss puts people with 40 vol. under the dryer like its nothing and think nothing will ever come of it! We also have 50 volume peroxide and he intermixes brands all the time. I am highly considering printing this out and leaving it on his station for him to read hoping he'll think twice next time.

50? can u even still get that, lordy lordy black market peroxide. . . this was total stupidity and one of the basic rules for all hairdressers learning at colleges these days, that bleach of that power is jus not put near the scalp with bleach. god im surprised she wasnt thick enough to leave u with a metal tail comb to scratch the itch to!!! i agree i think u shud avoid shaving it, ifd u can get off with a very short do that will disguise the worst of the damage till it grows, it will be far less traumatising!! x

I guess you can 50 quite easily here since we always have it. The owner of my salon said he has even used 100 vol when he used to do hair in NY. I think it's bs =)

yea minky i totally agree wit you,if you are fully trained in using bleach you cant go wrong:cool:, n as for 100 vol it was all the rage in the 80s hate to say it makes me cringe just hearin 50 vol:eek::eek::eek: but yo boss needs to go back to the fundamentals of colour 101:mad::irked::smack:

You can still get 60 vol in the uk. What purpose it has other than bomb making eludes me.

bleach is a part of our trade, used properly it is a superb tool. Used carelessly it caused disasters.
Bleach now is totally different to the stuff we used in the 80's, it has more ammonia, and works much faster. Older hairdressers should kinda know that.

really pers? thats f****n nuts, my colleague has a bottle o 60vol in her cupboard at home that she had from ages ago and when she showed me i was like i had no idea this existed LOL. . . 12% scares me, unless it with highlift tint, the only time i wud use it lols!!

The high lifts have buffers in so that 12% is ok. Bleach and 40 vol on your scalp would hurt like hell. The moment bleach and 40 vol hits the hair it begins to degrade. I have seen hair turned to jelly with it before.

yeah rowntree hair not a good look!!! x

hi minky, there is really no need to use bleach with all the lightening products that are available now. when i trained all we did was bleach bloody hi-lites1 x

Latest posts

Back