Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victoria, I think you missed mine too :hug: SOME people might be lazy, others might just not have the knowledge and that doesn't mean people for who English isn't their first language. I am witnessing first hand school work that comes home marked for content and not spelling/grammar more and more often. I have seen other kids work peppered with spellings confused with text talk, still not marked down for spelling. I am endlessly confused and angered by it but that does leave me thinking that what seems like laziness may not be. More a very sad sign of the times.

I've seen posts by those who's SECOND language is English (or even 3rd in some cases) that make far more sense and are much easier to read than those for whom English is their first language DESPITE spelling/grammar/translation errors.

Ironically my sons had English lessons in Norway, just the same as we have French in our schools here. I've been stunned to find that the level of grammar they were being taught there is far superior to what they are being taught here. For that reason I don't find it surprising at all that many of our Geeks for whom English is a second language have such good abilities in general.

I so apologise if I offend any one at all by the way :hug:

I repeat: I've no issue with honest errors. NONE!
I've issue with lazy posting.
There is a difference.
If someone is unconcerned about another member understanding them, then how concerned will they be about another member's replies?

Well done an absolutely perfect and valid comment and I couldn't agree more:hug:

What is missing in the way we as humans communicate and judge others is

1)a general lack of willingness as individuals to do our very best within the constraints of our own capabilities and the full utilisation of aids that modern technology provides for us in assisting us with our communication (spell check etc)

2) that the recipient of our communication also makes due allowance (when nessesary) to the person communicating given that person's incapabilities(can't download spell check etc)

What really is not acceptable, or fair to those that have to "mop up" after us is sheer laziness and what could be more soul destroying for a moderator to follow along behind us dotting our i's and crossing our T's just beacuse we couldn't be bothered....

From my perspective their time would be better placed and of more value to us and this site if they were freed up to focus on bigger issues which would take this site from being fantastic to "world beating".

Phew ...that took me something like 20 min's to type and the constant use of my faithfull dictionary that sits beside my keyboard...not bad though for a seriously dyslexic Geek with a spelling age of 6yrs and an inability to download spell check onto his system.:irked:

Think I had better go have a lay down for a while to recover from all the stress...hoping you get my drift:hug:

inability to download spell check onto his system.:irked:

Hi Colin,if you find it hard to download spellcheck on salon geek.......do it o Google.....i don't it and i am NO good at computers :green:

Hi Colin,if you find it hard to download spellcheck on salon geek.......do it o Google.....i don't it and i am NO good at computers :green:

Oh if only :hug:

Unfortunatley the downside of living in the most stunning place on this earth (with the most stunning woman-bless her) is that we are in the middle of no where and as a result broadband is about 100 miles away...

We therefore communicate with the outside world via a satelite dish which unfortunatley does not operate with a firewall in place and therefore we cannot risk downloads...even if we were the system would time out so im afraid its back to the good old dictionary and hard work.

I do have to say though that I see the situaion as a posative one as sometimes modern aids do in fact inpair our desire to rectify and work on our weaknesses which make us lazy.....and that ain't right:hug:

Collin,
If you click on "go advanced" rather than on "post quick reply", it takes the message you have typed into a new page, where you can see it as it will look once you have posted. If you scroll down you will see your message in the reply box, where you can make any changes.

If you look over to the right of your message in this box, just above the smilies, there is a tick with "ABC" on it. This is a spell checker, so you can use it even after you have done your work with the dictionary, for less common words that you maybe don't feel the need to look up because you rarely use them.

Hope this helps,
Marion x

Collin,
If you click on "go advanced" rather than on "post quick reply", it takes the message you have typed into a new page, where you can see it as it will look once you have posted. If you scroll down you will see your message in the reply box, where you can make any changes.

If you look over to the right of your message in this box, just above the smilies, there is a tick with "ABC" on it. This is a spell checker, so you can use it even after you have done your work with the dictionary, for less common words that you maybe don't feel the need to look up because you rarely use them.

Hope this helps,
Marion x

thanks Marion...will give that a go:hug:

Maybe if we all can spare a moment in our busy day and try this download the Mod's will have more time available on their hands to deal with more important issues rather than wet nursing us??...lets all give it a wizzzzz:hug:

lets all give it a wizzzzz:hug:

I had to giggle, and sorry to be O/T (off topic)
BUT
In Montreal, a 'wizz' is going for a pee

:lol:

I'm pretty sure that Sam & the Mods don't want to be mopping THAT up

BUT

:lol: If my kids choice terminology is anything to go by thats what it means here too..........

Ok still can't get it to work for me.

I'll just have to hope my spelling is'nt too bad, so forgive me please.

:hug:

BUT

What are you Canadian's like..there's us Britt's over here trying to take this thread seriously and help the Mod's out and all you can do is take the Jimmy :Grope:(if you know what I mean):lol::lol::lol:

Right so where's that download button (as if I need it:lol:)

You don't even need to download it, so it won't matter that you're connection isn't great Collin. Just follow, as I said, "Go Advanced" and you should see it. I can't understand why you are having problems Trish. Pm me if you want some help.
xxx

In fact, I've just realised it is on the quick reply box too. I don't think it was there before. Maybe it is one of the new modifications from a few days ago. When you finish typing in the box, just click on the tick before you "post quick reply". xxx

i fink dis iz... Eek! I can't do it! lol... I was trying to say that I think this is a great thread, and so thought I'd bump it up for anyone quite new like myself! :) I've got to say I did giggle quite a bit whilst reading... It's always funny with these very long threads to see how many different directions they end up going in!

Only problem is, I tend to use correct grammar and proper English in my text messages too, so when my bill comes in I often get a shock at how many texts I've sent!!

We all had our moments!:lol:
The posts that have no mistakes are so few!
I myself made many many mistakes but it's really fair to everybody to try and speak good English as it is an international language and the only way to communicate in the forum people from other countries.
Thank God for the online greek-english dictionary, so I don't have to open a large book whenever I enter the site! :Grope:

I'm sorry Gigi, I am guily of not using punctuation.
I do however have a good excuse, i suffered a brain hemmorhage in 1997 and had to re-learn alot of things.

So i hope you all can forgive me.....

Lol ! (oops sorry laugh out loud) Is this thread serious, 15 pages of how to use punctuation and speak english in chatrooms in the correct manner - what ? xx

Latest posts

Back