Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Dearest darling geeks,

I have recently noticed that many new members (and now some old ones have joined the band waggon) are writing their posts on the main forum in what I consider TEXT TYPE.

I think those of you who do it have forgotten to respect our members from other countries, to whom English is not their native language. TEXT TYPE is difficult for these peeps to understand, and for others of us it is just plain damned annoying! :irked: PLUS it makes the site look rubbish.

The letter i should always be capitalised if you have forgotten, like this ... I

The word im (which should mean I am) should be written thus .. I'm

dont should correctly be written as don't

ppl is actually people

I'm sure no one wants me to go on and I am equally sure you all know how to write correctly so that others can understand what you are writing. If what you write is worth reading, then everyone should be able to understand it.

Putting paragraphs in your posts between thoughts also helps the reader to organise his/her thoughts and to separate yours ... and pages of writing with no paragraphs is just plain boring to read and I personally never read them.

Spelling words correctly also helps those who don't speak English on a day to day basis, and there is no excuse not to use the spell checker before you post in order to help our members.

So may I ask very kindly that we all have a little respect for the site, how it looks to others and for those others who come here to read and learn. Thank You.

I'm so glad you've bought this up Gigi...
I've done 2 threads about this in the past and it's good that it's being bought up again.
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/25067-text-talk.html
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/46296-text-talk-threads.html

We all have to remember that this is an international site with a lot of geeks from all over the world, some of which are from countries where English isn't their native language.

Out of respect for all of our international geeks it's only right that we type the correct words when we're speaking on a professional basis, ie in The Nail Geek and Skin Geek forums, infact, any forum apart from ChitChat.

:D

Cum on m8, chil out a bit. just cos u dont understand it dont mean its not rite. sum of us dont ave th benefit of a gud skool. as long as we no wot we r talkin bout who cares? :rolleyes:
that's the whole point... it's plain ignorance of our international geeks if we take that attitude!

Well I assume you are being amusing, Bugzbuggie, but yes, that is just what it looks like .... that nobody cares. And that is also the message it sends to our members.

Well I do care M8!

My post was meant to be taken lightly; as an example of how bad things can get. :eek:

Text type is one of my pet hates as well! Bring back the birch! :mad:

For the guys that have English as their second language it must be very frustrating trying first to get to grips with English and then with text speak too ....lets be fair it must be very frustrating and so confusing searching the dictionary for words that are not even listed as a word. How are they going to make sense of it all....text language in a Pm, on your mobile or what ever you use to communicate on a one to one is cool, but in a post? Not fair is it really.

i think its great that you have brought this up again gigi.

i for one am useless when it comes to spelling ,or should i say typing to fast for my fingers and hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard,and then not checking on the spell check :o
but threads like this jog our memory's to do so ,
i do try to put paragraph's although im not to sure if they are in the right place i do it just to break up my post into easier to read sections :lol:

it is very off putting when you look at a post and it is continuous (going to use my spell check for that one!) (ooops have to download it first ) i often read the first few lines and switch off ...my eyes go googley !
and i am useless with im being I'm ect... but ill pay more attention from now on to what i am typing,out of respect for others viewing , x

Hi sorry all, i do that often too, i say peeps and guys instead of people etc and to be honest i didnt realise it to be a problem until i read this posting so sorry!

Will try and make my posting more understandable from now on! xx

Don't kill me for using you, but just to point out what I am talking about.

i think its great that you have brought this up again Gigi.

i for one am useless when it comes to spelling ,or should i say typing too fast for my fingers and hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard,and then not checking on the spell check. :o
But threads like this jog our memory's (memories) to do so ,
i do try to put paragraph's although im not to sure if they are in the right place i do it just to break up my post into easier to read sections. :lol:

it is very off putting when you look at a post and it is continuous (going to use my spell check for that one!) (ooops have to download it first ) i often read the first few lines and switch off ...my eyes go googley !
And i am useless with im being I'm ect... but ill pay more attention from now on to what i am typing, out of respect for others viewing . x

I must admit, I'm extremely guilty of using the word peeps (meaning people), it's the main shortcut I use when typing replies, I am sorry, I'll try my best to not use that word in future... feel free to slap my wrists when I do it again...

p.s. make sure any wrist slapping is done after the time of this reply lol :lol:

I think my problem is that too often I don't use text talk on the site and that my education makes me look a bit old fashioned.
That's probably because I'm getting older I suppose:lol:
I'll live with it though.

Hi sorry all, i do that often too, i say peeps and guys instead of people etc and to be honest i didnt realise it to be a problem until i read this posting so sorry!

Will try and make my posting more understandable from now on! xx

Can I just say that people not using a capital or upper case I is one of the things that annoys me the most???

The geek site does have it's own special little language which most of us use with affection eg. hth, LMAO, peeps etc...... Am I correct in assuming that this is acceptable and that you are specifically referring to deliberate text type? I'm just checking.

ok DIFFERENT THINGS ANNOY DIFFERNET PEEPS -

Like that annoyed me typing the above and I am itching to make it right. I don'ty have a problem with words like Peeps particulary but since I write and edit all the time I do also itch to change small 'i's to caps etc because it just plain looks better... but I don't get too wound up about it! Emmsybabe said she is slow at typing etc and when you are slow and have to worry about switching the caps on too... can get much but once again - the SPELL CHECKER sorts that out!

I think the main thing is to respect all 'peeps' who come to this site by typing as best we can and using full words. I often abreviate my endings to HTH's (Hope that Helps) but since the Grand Ms Matrix gave us a run down of all abbreviations and their meanings I haven't worried about that too much either! :irked:

I think my problem is that too often I don't use text talk on the site and that my education makes me look a bit old fashioned.

LOOK dear Geeks ... I am not trying to be a school teacher here ... just to point out that not every Geek can understand the text type AND the bad spelling and punctuation, grammar etc makes us look ignorant ... especially when international Geeks can speak the English language apparently better than we can!! :eek:
Judy ... if speaking grammatically correctly makes you old fashioned, then that is truly SAD .... do we all have to look thick then to be 'with it'?? :lol:

Can I just say that people not using a capital or upper case I is one of the things that annoys me the most???

"Laughs" - Thank you Gigi for pointing out my post! :lol:

I read it back afterwards checking the spelling etc and forgot about the "I's"!
Doh! Blonde moment! :rolleyes:

Totally live with it Judy - makes you look tres intelligent!!!

I sound like a right stuck up moo now but i don't like the text speak like pmsl etc i presume it all means what i think it means and thats how i read it.If you wouldn't say it in proper language then don't use it in text it still says the same.

I do try and spell things correctly and have the right grammar but I am slightly dyslexic so I cant! I have installed the spell checker now on my laptop as I have it on the PC but I am using the laptop all the time now.

I am also guilty of maybe using "u" instead of You on occasions but I will try my best not to do this in the future. xx

I sound like a right stuck up moo now but i don't like the text speak like pmsl etc i presume it all means what i think it means and thats how i read it.If you wouldn't say it in proper language then don't use it in text it still says the same.

I know what you are saying... but I still don't think that's too bad... sort of sets the mood... just IMHO of course! :!:

Latest posts

Back