That word, BULLY

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Geeks. We are one tribe, the one that wants to make our clients feel good about themselves....so it makes sense to make each other feel good, too.

This does NOT mean giving false compliments, being insincere or evading hard messages. It just means making sure the message goes home while allowing the recipient to maintain dignity and enthusiasm.

And by the way, in case you think I'm some hippy-dippy, wishy-washy softie......well yes, I am in some ways, but I've had to be very clear, honest and tough in my former job, and didn't shy away from my duty ever. Some methods are just more effective than others!

Hey Dandy, you mentioned tribes, someone earlier talked about head hunting, I'm getting a bit scared -it'll be voodoo dolls next! :Scared::Scared:

What in gods name is going on with this thread.I'm lost and confused.

Not everyone is the same and the world would be a very boring if we all were.Some people are sensitive soles others arn't and I think both should be respected.My daughter is very sensitive and I have to adapt myself to accommodate that not being mamsy pamsy or sugar coating but I adapt myself because I'm to the point no messing.

I think it does matter
Its the difference between creating Winners and Losers
If i had a shop, i know what id want to fill it with
Id be serving lots of sandwiches

I think it does matter

A sandwich shop? ;-)

I think it does matter

So you want a salon full of people who will break down crying when a client says "oh i don't like that nail polish of yours, I want something different"?

People need to toughen up, think back a few years when World War One and two were going on, if you didn't work hard you didn't work. If you didn't learn quick enough you were out. If you made a mistake of you trott. People didn't scream bully then. It was called reality, and now people want their way, if they are told off for a mistake they claim abuse.

I wonder if the shop I had a few years back would have been so good if the staff wernt scared of losing their job if they didn't keep to standards? X

I wouldn't say to my daughter that's a s*it idea won't work and that's the end of our conversation.I would say that isn't going to work but what will work is this and explain my reasons.

Your not going to create a winner by saying that won't work what you will create is a person that dosnt know there arse from there elbow.

I'm not saying to sugar coat things or say something is good when it's not honesty is the best thing and being to the point but there are ways of tackling a conversation being straight and informative I think is the key.

I haven't seen the word bully being thrown about on here.For someone to be a bully it has to be repeated nastiness and targeting one person.Being straight with someone isn't being a bully it's being honest.

I'm brutally honest with people but I will explain why to.

I think it does matter

Even to staff who had wheat allergies?

Staff are people too and a one size fits all approach definitely doesn't work...some staff are confused by the PNP sandwich form of delivery and just wait for you to get to the point. I learned that through trial and error.

However, the real reason I am replying is to recommend you copyright your post before Hallmark steal it and put in a card! Lol :)

I wouldn't say to my daughter that's a s*it idea won't work and that's the end of our conversation.I would say that isn't going to work but what will work is this and explain my reasons.

Your not going to create a winner by saying that won't work what you will create is a person that dosnt know there arse from there elbow.

I'm not saying to sugar coat things or say something is good when it's not honesty is the best thing and being to the point but there are ways of tackling a conversation being straight and informative I think is the key.

I haven't seen the word bully being thrown about on here.For someone to be a bully it has to be repeated nastiness and targeting one person.Being straight with someone isn't being a bully it's being honest.

I'm brutally honest with people but I will explain why to.

What would you say if they came back at you and said you were being stupid because others have told them it will work and actually what they are about to do is fine...it's you with the problem? What would you do then? ;)

What would you say if they came back at you and said you were being stupid because others have told them it will work and actually what they are about to do is fine...it's you with the problem? What would you do then? ;)

Like I said I would give her a clear and concise reason why it wouldn't work and explain why my idea would work.

Failing that I would give her a good hiding lock her under the stairs with no dinner :D joking but no I think you have to explain your reasons be to the point but explain why

Like I said I would give her a clear and concise reason why it wouldn't work and explain why my idea would work.

Failing that I would give her a good hiding lock her under the stairs with no dinner :D joking but no I think you have to explain your reasons be to the point but explain why

What if you did that and they still said they were going ahead as you were wrong and you should lighten up....it's only a bit of bleach/glycolic peel (insert potentially dangerous service here) and that they have seen on YouTube how it's done and you are wrong? :)

What if you did that and they still said they were going ahead as you were wrong and you should lighten up....it's only a bit of bleach/glycolic peel (insert potentially dangerous service here) and that they have seen on YouTube how it's done and you are wrong? :)

I would say to her let's do your method on you first then shall we and see how it turns out :D.The thing is I would make sure she was taught properly in the first place.If you and other people have given someone your opininons on how to do something and they still don't listening then what can you do,not much more.

Surely explaining to someone in a clear to the point manner is better than just saying it won't work.

If people did do that ie teachers we and our children etc would be not educated at all.If teachers just said Na that won't work how would our children
learn how would we have learned.

If people just said no then this site would not have been running for so long and people would not be constantly learning including myself.

I would say to her let's do your method on you first then shall we and see how it turns out :D.The thing is I would make sure she was taught properly in the first place.If you and other people have given someone your opininons on how to do something and they still don't listening then what can you do,not much more.

Surely explaining to someone in a clear to the point manner is better than just saying it won't work.

If people did do that ie teachers we and our children etc would be not educated at all.If teachers just said Na that won't work how would our children
learn how would we have learned.

If people just said no then this site would not have been running for so long and people would not be constantly learning including myself.

If you personally had told students or other inexperienced geeks the correct and proper way to do something over and over again, year after year, nicey nicey, big full triple decker sandwich of love and hugs and hun's and still other numpties come on here telling them its ok to use 'bla bla insert any rubbish from superdrug' wouldn't that make you just a little bit blunt and to the point? we aren't talking to children and anyone let lose with chemicals that are potentially dangerous need to have at least a few adult brain cells I would have thought? love and hugs and peace.xxxxx

ps thats an open sandwich (only one slice of bread)

After reading through 91 posts of this thread, it appears that there is some confusion with basic SalonGeek.com edict (which is something my mom calls "Manners").

The problem has less to do with being a "bully" and more to do with being a run-of-the-mill doosh bag. In their own mind, DB's have established what they believe is the standard to which others must comply with in order to qualify for a respectable response. The problem is... We already created that standard over 10 years ago. Interestingly, it was that standard which created the environment that they were attracted to in the first place.

That standard is one of constructive comments and mutual respect.

Posts will ALWAYS contain questions and points that others feel are inaccurate. That is a beautiful thing! It provides different points of views and opportunities for posters and for the thousands of people reading the post in the future to learn, grow and evolve. Each post is an education opportunity not for the poster, but for the 460k visits we get a month. Is someone doing something wrong? What an awesome opportunity to help them understand a better way while at the same time helping thousands of others that silently read your response through the years!

DB's however aren't here to learn, grow or share. They are here to "dispense their unquestionable opinion to those they feel are worthy of it" and to be snarky to the rest. They aren't big enough thinkers to realise they look like dumbasses to the rest of the world for years to come.

This is a site dedicated to the most awesome industry in the world. The one where we get paid to help others feel beautiful. There are some that irrespective of skill, clearly suck at that. Or possibly they are so tired of helping others feel beautiful all day that they have the need to make someone else feel ugly.

How many people have come here and then left because they were turned off by dooshbaggery? How many of those people could have learned a better way? A safer way? A more effective way? How many that could then have gone on to help others learn a better way? Makes me a bit sick to even think about it.

If you are one of those that really need it spelling out for you; it isn't about giving free kittens to each poster that is clearly wrong. It is about being constructive and courteous while you help.

For those of you who like it "straight up" (sans sandwich): I don't really care if you like it or not; Don't be a DB. Be courteous to others or GTFO.

nJoy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back