That word, BULLY

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a demerit for you Miss W!

You started your reply with a negative and only included one positive at the end. It was more like a French jambon than a true sandwich.

Please try harder next time.

:)

Hysterical:D

I'm going to report you lot for bullying in a minute.This is certainly a good example of how it works

Speaking from my experiences with the hair geeks , I find everyone is nice and helpful !
No one has ever been rude to me and never have I felt bullied ! If I ask for help I don't care how someone helps me , whether its straight to the point as long as I get the help .
I have seen so many newbies on here ask for advice and as they don't get what they wanted Or they get questioned about if they are a pro they become insulting and defensive , I think it's easy for people to say others are bullies but its basically because they haven't got the answer they wanted , also some try and wind up those who easily bite back , then play the victim c

Excellent thread tomme, really shows how people see things so differently!

I have put my 2 pennies in already so wont repeat what ive said but in short i think we've basically agreed,

1. The people using the word bully (far to loosely may i add, apologies if spelt loosely wrong nothing looks right lol maybe its not a word? Anyway) are the ones not explaining themselves properly so everyone jumps on bombarding them with questions ain order to hrlp nd they dont know the answers and because they havent been helped call everyone bullies, yet no one could help, my hairs dark i want blond what do i do, we need exact tones and levels etc.

2. Every response is justified so long as its not 'go get back in your box, how dare you come out and speak to me before your ready' and its helping in some way or trying to gather information to help.

3. We all have wicked sense of humours and sarcasm is funny when written well xx

Love you guys xx haha

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I'm going to report you lot for bullying in a minute.This is certainly a good example of how it works

Bullying who?

So glad Nic mentioned above that we all have a wicked sense of humour. Did you not like my Jambon joke? I thought it was rather inspired for this time on a Sunday. :)

Apologies if you were offended, but I really don't think some random bloke making a joke about a ham sandwich on the Internet was in anyway a direct attempt to target and/or bully you personally. Perhaps that's the point of this whole thread and a good time for me to bow out and take my humour elsewhere while I await more lives in Candy Crush?

P.S. ^^^^ that's a cleverly disguised sandwich in itself! Only just realised too! :)

Bullying who?

So glad Nic mentioned above that we all have a wicked sense of humour. Did you not like my Jambon joke? I thought it was rather inspired for this time on a Sunday. :)

Apologies if you were offended, but I really don't think some random bloke making a joke about a ham sandwich on the Internet was in anyway a direct attempt to target and/or bully you personally. Perhaps that's the point of this whole thread and a good time for me to bow out and take my humour elsewhere while I await more lives in Candy Crush?

P.S. ^^^^ that's a cleverly disguised sandwich in itself! Only just realised too! :)

Oh I'm joking Crikey I'm a 50 year old women take more than a bunch of hairdressers to bully me.

Anyone would think that hair geeks never help anyone given the comments on this thread. Most of us answer questions and queries every day on here, and as there are very few of us, we give an awful lot of our time and expertise to this site. Where else do you have a direct line to a group of salon owners and top stylists?
Now, under threat of being reported for 'bullying' from the poster above, I do believe a degree of acquiescence from the other trades is required. As many of you may know, I am qualified in ALL the trades listed on this site, with the exception of acrylic nails. I can speak from first hand knowledge that hair is the most complex by about a million miles. Our training is not measured in days or months, it's measured in years.
We DO have to respect both the chemicals and raw material that we work with, there is a definitive right and wrong way to do things, and it's drummed into us to get it right first time. Paint a nail wrongly, you can wipe it off, cut someone's hair wrong, you're stuck.

So it's important that advice is correct, concise, and given freely.

However, the assertion that if we can't post using false and fake terms of endearment, or lie to make people feel better about their lack of knowledge, is doing the baby geeks a disservice. Their bosses won't call them Hun, nor will a client give them a hug and say 'never mind, you're only human', when they screw up their hair.

Those of us at the top of our game post in between clients, so the advice that we shouldn't post at all is really rather shocking, and could easily be construed as a form of bullying in itself.

*climbs down off soapbox*

Oh I'm joking Crikey I'm a 50 year old women take more than a bunch of hairdressers to bully me.

What about hairdressers armed with Jambons though...STALE ones...really hard and mouldy? ;)

What about hairdressers armed with Jambons though...STALE ones...really hard and mouldy? ;)

Lol. Imagine the head line.... Woman assaulted by stale French stick welding assailant. Last seen running off screaming 'how dare you not like the cut. I am an artiste'

persianista said:
However, the assertion that if we can't post using false and fake terms of endearment, or lie to make people feel better about their lack of knowledge, is doing the baby geeks a disservice. Their bosses won't call them Hun, nor will a client give them a hug and say 'never mind, you're only human', when they screw up their hair.

Sorry to snip your post Persianista as it was all very good, but I wanted to expand on this excellent point you made.

Earlier in the thread someone suggested that if students ask their colleagues at work or ask the hair geeks here it is no different. Your post highlights that actually, it is.

At the workplace, if a level 1/2 student asked an experienced stylist how they should do their friend's advanced hair colour correction using products from eBay, they would be told to forget about that and just find a model for training night so they can perfect their round brush blowdry / one level trim / root application etc. If they carried on harassing the stylist demanding answers to the colour correction they were doing outside of the salon they wouldn't last long in their employment.

Here, we do try to do the same thing and advise them to learn how to walk before they can run, and if we do so too harshly we are in fear of being reprimanded for it.

I agree with you; no client, colleague or employer will call them Hun, or forgive them for screwing up. Maybe part of being here at SalonGeek (especially for the students who are full time at college) is to prepare them for the world of working in the hair industry? If they can't take it here, how would they ever last 8 hours a day in a real salon with demanding clients and competitive peers?

BREAKING NEWS - meanwhile in the real world - paragraph written on an internet forum reduces grown adult to hand wringing, outraged, gibbering wreck because they read it to be nasty! (and implied tone of which there was none)

Crikey what would you do in any of these life-or-death situations?

Bank ATM ran out of money - OH MY GOD, it's being nasty to me, it said no, how can it be, bring me valium.

Co-op ran out of cat-food.......OH MY GOD call the sensitivity police, I need a basket of kittens and puppies to sing to to make it all ok.

You must be snivelling wrecks when you get a letter from the bank, asking for repayment of loans, if it's not been written in pure Disney schmaltz tone. :/

BREAKING NEWS - meanwhile in the real world - paragraph written on an internet forum reduces grown adult to hand wringing, outraged, gibbering wreck because they read it to be nasty! (and implied tone of which there was none)

Bank ATM ran out of money - OH MY GOD, it's being nasty to me, it said no, how can it be, bring me valium.

Co-op ran out of cat-food.......OH MY GOD call the sensitivity police, I need a basket of kittens and puppies to sing to to make it all ok.

You must be snivelling wrecks when you get a letter from the bank, asking for repayment of loans, if it's not been written in pure Disney schmaltz tone. :/

Dear Miss Kaya,

Hi Hun. It's your bank here. We're writing about that £10k loan you took out last year.

We noticed that you paid us back for 2 months and that was a great start. We really appreciated that. Your third and fourth payments were an incy wincy bit late, but we still got them so that's just fabulous.

We noticed that we never received any payments for months 5, 6, and 7 though. Obviously for someone like yourself who isn't out to rob us and has shown that you really could make the payments if you tried, we thought we would just drop you a quick note to see if everything's OK?

We've also been looking at your cheques that bounced and must comment that your signature is the most beautiful we've ever seen in this branch. Just adorable!

Hope to see you soon. Hugs xxxx

Your Friendly Bank of RBS.

notes: RBS (Right Beautiful Sandwich) Bank would like to apologise in advance if any part of this letter offends you in any way whatsoever. You are a beautiful person...a goddess in fact...and capable of paying in any way you see fit....we just thought it would be better if you paid us in the way people usually do, but obviously you will have your own unique style of paying your bank and we appreciate that. Xxx

Dear Miss Kaya,

Hi Hun. It's your bank here. We're writing about that £10k loan you took out last year.

We noticed that you paid us back for 2 months and that was a great start. We really appreciated that. Your third and fourth payments were an incy wincy bit late, but we still got them so that's just fabulous.

We noticed that we never received any payments for months 5, 6, and 7 though. Obviously for someone like yourself who isn't out to rob us and has shown that you really could make the payments if you tried, we thought we would just drop you a quick note to see if everything's OK?

We've also been looking at your cheques that bounced and must comment that your signature is the most beautiful we've ever seen in this branch. Just adorable!

Hope to see you soon. Hugs xxxx

Your Friendly Bank of RBS.

notes: RBS (Right Beautiful Sandwich) Bank would like to apologise in advance if any part of this letter offends you in any way whatsoever. You are a beautiful person...a goddess in fact...and capable of paying in any way you see fit....we just thought it would be better if you paid us in the way people usually do, but obviously you will have your own unique style of paying your bank and we appreciate that. Xxx

LOL, I love it, am printing it out next to my pictures of Disney Princesses and the shrine to Anthea Turner to remind me to be nice at all times :)

I am now off to sing show tunes from Mary Poppins rather loudly to wish that I could be practically perfect in every way! :D

I
Bullying is disgusting. But there are those who see ructions between two people and deliberatly inflame the situation. Just this morning I had an ibox from someone trying to "get me on their team". Within litterally 1 month on.the site I am being "headhunted". Teams are for game players, of which I am not. I fly solo. If I agree with you I will say so if I don't, because through my own knowledge and experience I know what you have said is rubbish I will tell you too. In the simplest way possible.

My opinion may differ from yours but it does not make it less valid and being proven wrong by someone does not make them a bully or condescending, thats your insecurity talking and reading between the lines

As for those who like to throw a grenade in to the room then sit back and watch the action (pming people things like OMG you should see what ***** said about you on the Bully post,.they are totally making fun of you") well, I have less time for them then those who give snarky answers, at least they are honest about it. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I feel really left out now. :(

How come nobody ever PMs me to join their team? I've been here yonks and I'm still standing waiting to be picked.

Like the poster above though, I must admit I tend to fly solo, but an occasional PM would be kinda cute, just so I know I am wanted. The only one who PMs me lately is Izzidoll ... It's like a party for 2 in my inbox. Lol.

:weeps:

I've spent ages looking for the long version of this saying but can't find it, my boss used to have it up in our staff room

“It takes 37 muscles to frown and 22 to smile, but it only takes 4 to reach out and slap someone in the face.”

Seemed fitting haha.

All I have to add is people shouldn't be so sensitive

I feel really left out now. :(

How come nobody ever PMs me to join their team? I've been here yonks and I'm still standing waiting to be picked.

Like the poster above though, I must admit I tend to fly solo, but an occasional PM would be kinda cute, just so I know I am wanted. The only one who PMs me lately is Izzidoll ... It's like a party for 2 in my inbox. Lol.

:weeps:

No one pm's me either to be on their team haha.... We're obviously not liked on this site :| hahaa

What's the game rounders? Baseball? How many teams? Maybe we're obviously not going to go along with a group for the fun of it.

And to the poster about joining teams, I agree, I have never had anyone say omg have you seen what so and so has said, hate gossips looking for a fight to erupt, and hate people out to pick on others for fun too.... I find it sad that people devote their time to this sort of thing and quite frankly shocked at the fact professionals can waste their time with such nonsense :(

Sad times :'( like your straight forward no nonsense talking though... Not mean just straight to the point :)

Hi All,

I myself am a new member, but I still appreciate respect even in the written word. It is totally ok to voice opinions and of course people opinions will differ at times, but there is a way to approach things without being abrupt.

When things are written abrupt it can be interpreted at rude. We have ALL been students and personally I feel that it is lovely seeing the passion that people display, but if they get ahead of themselves we should be able to say reign it in a little and be patient until you have the understanding and knowledge. But at the same time trying to help individuals learn from their mistakes and help them to realise the why's and how's. Not just point blanky refusing to give help, and asking them to seek it elsewhere. If they are in a placement in a salon there is no difference in them asking the people they work with, and asking people here.

There is a MAJOR difference to a bully and just being rude and impolite.

People of all genres and age and level of capability will respond better to constructive criticism with kindness than abrupt, short, sharp replies. We are all busy whether it is running a salon, being a Mum, training and learning or going to college. I agree with what has been said previously in the thread and if you haven't got the time to explain respectfully your opinions and thoughts then don't say anything at all.

I know we are all adults and I know that many professionals on here speak regularly with others and so the older members will know and understand these people, but all NEW people CAN and WILL be put off posting as this has been proven and said.

I say time to be peaceful, stop judging and help to bring the best out in people!!!
:D :Love:

You took the words right out of my mouth!! :) Yes I wouldn't say it was bullying at all, but some replies can be taken as rude, I'm sure it puts new people off posting! There is no need to be rude and abrupt.But luckily I've only come across this once;)
As for the post depicting a lovely letter from the bank haha! Well... you'd never expect any letter from the bank to be good! But people posting on here can give constructive critism with a bit of kindness I'm sure:) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Come on Geeks. We are one tribe, the one that wants to make our clients feel good about themselves....so it makes sense to make each other feel good, too.

This does NOT mean giving false compliments, being insincere or evading hard messages. It just means making sure the message goes home while allowing the recipient to maintain dignity and enthusiasm.

And by the way, in case you think I'm some hippy-dippy, wishy-washy softie......well yes, I am in some ways, but I've had to be very clear, honest and tough in my former job, and didn't shy away from my duty ever. Some methods are just more effective than others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back