The awesome money saving thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To save on shellac topcoat when doing rockstars, I use 1 coat of clearly pink over the glitter layer then 1 coat of topcoat (instead of 2 layers of topcoat) to get them nice and smooth.
It's a colour that came in my kit that never gets used. A few others work well too.

Read that tip on here ages ago from Geeg I think and it's really helped me so highlighted it again for others.

I probably didn't explain as well as she did though :)
Sam xx

I do this too but I use mother of pearl or zillionaire Instead of clearly pink. Adds a bit more sparkle ;)

Ooh this sounds like a good idea! I'm not sure the ones I use are long enough though? Could you post a pic? X

Use scissors and cut left to right if that makes sense? Just so you have 2 pairs insted of 1
My appointments have finished until Monday so I will post a pic Monday
X

Use scissors and cut left to right if that makes sense? Just so you have 2 pairs insted of 1
My appointments have finished until Monday so I will post a pic Monday
X

Oh I see, you cut them horizontally and not vertically down the middle!? Xx

If you have storage heaters in the salon set the output to minimum ad input on full blast before you leave at night then turn it off in the morning or the input to minimum and output can be used to set how warm you want it.
Get an airer instead of using the dryer, late washes can be put on them and left near a radiator that's just been turned off to dry over night, no heat is wasted, washing is dry and you saved on electric.
Use dish clothes to wipe down surfaces instead of paper towels, get a few and wash them instead of binning, only take a hour to dry and if you use bleach as much as me it makes you know your washing is disinfected.
Plain water and a soft towel cleans mirrors better than window cleaner and is free....
Using a boiler for your heating (best for home), don't turn it off. Keep the heating on low constantly, the house never gets cold and it dosent need as much gas to bring the temperature back up.
Got empty aromatherapy bottles? Not empty! Put some water in, shake about and put on a radiator, free air fresher.
Mix water and bleach in a spray bottle, your own cleaning spray. Xoxo

We have stopped using fabric conditioner and swapped it for white vinegar. It has two benefits: one, it's MUCH cheaper, and two, the laundry dries much quicker, because the fabric conditioner seems to hold onto the water for a long time.

We have stopped using fabric conditioner and swapped it for white vinegar. It has two benefits: one, it's MUCH cheaper, and two, the laundry dries much quicker, because the fabric conditioner seems to hold onto the water for a long time.

How much do you use though? And does it smell at all? X

I just fill the slot in the machine. It has a very slight odour whilst it's drying, but no, it doesn't smell at all once it's dry.

Fab thread Lynne something we can all benefit from :)

I always shop around for insurance and have saved hundreds in the last year alone.

Use Zillionier over Rockstar too and added bonus gives amazing depth.

I love soft landings wipes and table towels. Tried others but for me personally they are the best. However I don't buy the packs of 200 wipes I buy the pack of 75 table towels and cut them up to get 900 wipes. It takes 20 mins and saves me nearly £10 a pack :)

Vicki x

I always decant my nearly gone shellac into a new one I've used a few times (so there's space for the decanted bit).
I split my tissues when doing facials .
I split my spatulas longitudinally for doing lip and eyebrow waxing .
I replace the cap on my tweezers after I use them ( helps keep the grip , so they are good for longer)
I have a nice hand soap in the bathroom ( personally , I think liquid soaps are ridiculously expensive and you seem to be constantly replacing them)

Off topic slightly Lynne, but hubby got a contraption in a bike shop that you fit onto the back wheel of your bike and it turns it into a stationary bike, so you can use it all winter / in the rain and then just take said contraption off and voila ..your bike is good for the great outdoors once again....great idea I think instead of buying an expensive stationary bike aka the clothes hanger in the corner of the room....:)

Get yourself signed up to money saving expert dot com. The regular newsletter is full of great tips and lots of info about switching utility providers etc.

Also, when booking a nice hotel use the Top secret hotels on last minute dot com, as they are easy to work out which hotel it is and you save a lot on the nightly rate.

Thanks Lynne for reminding me about the Co-op free banking and the FSB. I'm getting really cheesed off with my current bank charging me around £30 a month for the pleasure! Will call FSB on Monday.

I also use the soft landing wipes and cut them into smaller squares so they last much longer. When ordering retail products I now question 'will they sell' rather than 'but I want them!'.

Good tip about eyelash pads! And I now try and wait for the vat free days from the suppliers.

Great thread, thank you x

I just wanted to let everyone know that i bought 3 of the electronic timers recommended by Lynne (2 wax pots, 1 steam towel cabby) and they are fantastic xx

I just wanted to let everyone know that i bought 3 of the electronic timers recommended by Lynne (2 wax pots, 1 steam towel cabby) and they are fantastic xx

Maby I shouldn't say but I get discount there xoxo

I split my couch roll and cotton discs in half and use energy saving bulbs in my rooms.

Just be warned that you'll save cash on lighting costs with energy saving bulbs, but your rooms will be colder, so will cost you more to heat.

Just be warned that you'll save cash on lighting costs with energy saving bulbs, but your rooms will be colder, so will cost you more to heat.

Really? I use energy saving bulbs throughout my house and haven't noticed a change in temperature or my heating bills? x

Maby I shouldn't say but I get discount there xoxo

Ooh, lucky so and so, haha. Well at half price, about £5 per timer i can't complain anyway xx

On my vista to Mac Donald's I help myself to the wooden coffee sticks,great for lip and eyebrow waxing .
Also buy Asad smart price coffee it less than a pound and clients always comment how lovely it is(I don't drink coffee so no comment from me)
Also use kitchen roll for wipes.

On my vista to Mac Donald's I help myself to the wooden coffee sticks,great for lip and eyebrow waxing .
Also buy Asad smart price coffee it less than a pound and clients always comment how lovely it is(I don't drink coffee so no comment from me)
Also use kitchen roll for wipes.

Not really sure you've thought this through. What about if someone sneezes on your stolen coffee sticks.
I might be a bit worried about hygiene & karma!

I cancelled my salon magazine subscription and instead just gather together mine, my mums, my sisters and my nans magazines on a weekly/monthly basis once they've read them and put them in the salon.

I've turned the radiator off completely in the toilet.. Yes, it's cold in there, but the salon is warm and not many clients use it and no-one spends longer than 1 minute in there anyway!

I will try to think of other things I do to save money! .. Great thread Lynne!

Latest posts

Back