THE Business Name Thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
As you know there are a LOT of "what shall I call my business" threads on here. There's hundreds of them!

We also probably realise that without context (i.e. without knowing what type of business you are, how you'd like to portray yourself etc.) it's very tricky for people to help out.

However, I thought it might be useful to have a "master thread" for it. There are LOADS of imaginative Geeks on here who are brimming with ideas....so, why not have a thread where people can blurt out random names, and we can let people pinch them!

So, what names did you reject for your business that others might use, have you been jogging one morning and thought "What a good name for a business!" and had nothing to use it on?

List them all below, and perhaps people can have a point of reference and we'll be spared from the same question over and over :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But I love the 400 'I can't think of a name' threads!! lol ;)

I hate hate hate names with the persons name in it or just their name.
Mine took me ages, trying them out in different styles etc...
A few of my rejections are:
Dreams
Fairy tale fringe
Hair days
Super style

I'm not sure what I dislike but I new my business name long before we started. FAB Skin and Beauty. FAB because it stands for Francesca Alan Business (my husband and I's names) it invariably is also known as fab's which is a word I use loads and portrays a positive in a clients mind from the off and skin and beauty is exactly what we do.
I thought the fab connotation might be a bit cheesy and dated and tried to point out it was our initials but actually they love it.

I think simple is the best approach anything that has to be thought about wont grab a clients attention.

My business has been called Laissez Faire Holistic Therapy since I started 18 months ago. Have had issues with people saying "Huh?!" when I tell them or incorrect spellings of it given to me for log ins etc. Plus not easy to remember. So I've decided to rename. My logo for Laissez Faire is a purple lotus and my colour scheme is purple (tunic, towels etc).

So have gone with the very simple Purple Lotus Holistic Therapy.

I feel like it's too basic and my mum doesn't like it but it's simple, easy to remember, easy to spell, don't need to change my logo, everything is already purple and lotus sounds holisticy...! What do you think? :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Love yours glittery! Mine is Fabulous Factory! Toyed with Glamour Lounge til someone said it sounded like a strip club :( ha! X

Love yours glittery! Mine is Fabulous Factory! Toyed with Glamour Lounge til someone said it sounded like a strip club :( ha! X

I love Fabulous Factory! That's brilliant!
Haha! Glamour lounge does sound a bit 'strippy' :D

i always think its a good idea to think of words that you think represent your business and then look them up in a thesaurus for other words that mean the same...it usually gives me ideas for more words or names and inspires me.

Plus i think people should for say a week at a time once they have come up with a prospective name play around on the internet typing that name in, creating letterheads etc on your computer to see what it would actually look like in print. Also when you are answering a phone with your name how does it sound? is it easy to spell out to people when you are giving your web address out?

One of the first names i looked at was "Suzysnails" but if you look closely it could say suzy snails?? so take your time when you think of a name as you should stick with it for a long time or as some geeks have found that they are changing their name a year or so into their business. I finally chose SOUZ as my business name as my name is Suzanne so suz - anne...Suz just spelt differently. Yes i have nails, tanning, beauty under my name for now but once i have established myself i will just be known as SOUZ. For me no one else has that name it is unique to me. It is very unlikely that someone will start trading down the road from me with the same name!!

I've been pondering this for a while. I'm going to go with 'Diva'. My personal association with it is that webdiva has been my online name since 1996 when. I chose it as a combination of Internet, music (I was teaching piano at the time) and a bit of sass.

Diva for me is a natural progression, it's one syllable and easy remember.

My colours are black and hot pink/fushia. Black trousers/hot pink tunic.

I am half Italian so wanted to have something Italian as my business name. I originally chose Sei Bella which means I am beautiful, but when I went to buy the domain name I found someone already had it so I changed it to Sono Belli (meaning they're beautiful) but early this year someone told me to call it Sono Belli Beauty so people knew what I did instantly. For me, it's a talking point, and I have had good feedback from people.

So what I am trying to get at, is think of who you are, what services you offer, how you want to be perceived, will you offer more services in future? Ie, If you just do nails at the moment and have nails in your name you will restrict yourself if you want to offer something different at a later date. Xx

My business has been called Laissez Faire Holistic Therapy since I started 18 months ago. Have had issues with people saying "Huh?!" when I tell them or incorrect spellings of it given to me for log ins etc. Plus not easy to remember. So I've decided to rename. My logo for Laissez Faire is a purple lotus and my colour scheme is purple (tunic, towels etc).

I feel like it's too basic and my mum doesn't like it but it's simple, easy to remember, easy to spell, don't need to change my logo, everything is already purple and lotus sounds holisticy...! What do you think? :-D

This is a good example of why its important keeping the name easy to spell so that people can find you in search engines etc.

I chose Drop Dead Nails because it was short and played on drop dead gorgeous - but I also chose this because the domain and Facebook names were available. (I also bought drop dead gorgeous nails domain to protect in future). Its not everyone's cup of tea but my clients love it :)

I also toyed with Nail Lust and Nail envy but the domains had already been taken

That's really good advice about domain names, facebook etc I purchased all of these before registering my company so they didn't' 'disappear'.

Also its also worth bearing in my mind any future plans. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk but I like the idea I can use FAB and change Skin and Beauty, to nails, tanning etc if I decided to open further salons which may better suit a more narrowed service (or my dream a spa, nothing like aiming big:lick:)

Also agree with Souz about testing out the names, I had several different draft versions of logos etc before I Found Carl at Verve and decided on 'the one'.

This thread is a great idea! I'll be keeping an eye on it as a newbie starting out :D xx

My ex thought of this which is why I haven't used it

On the lash

Great for lash services. Just googled it and there's only 1 business with a Facebook page.

On the lash

Great for lash services. Just googled it and there's only 1 business with a Facebook page.

I like on the lash, it's quirky and cheeky and would grab my attention on a flyer or a poster x

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Like it and I think people will remember it.

On the lash

I like on the Lash too :D , Tis good ya?

I hate hate hate names with the persons name in it or just their name.
Mine took me ages, trying them out in different styles etc...
A few of my rejections are:
Dreams
Fairy tale fringe
Hair days
Super style

I felt this way too, I always thought my name would sound too small time if that makes sense. I cant remember how or why I called myself KarenBMakeup. I was working as a makeup artist and I also do lashes and lash and brow treatements. I am now looking in to doing beauty and eventually would like my own salon and photographic studio. Therefore although I want to be known for makeup, I potentially will expand.

I'm in the process of changing my logo, as I am startigng publiscising ,y home salon but now I think maybe rebrand totally now with a new company name.

I have always wanted to call my eventual salon The Pretty Face Place, or Pretty Painted Face.... but currently I am a sole trader, I want to continue to be recommended.

Help!

Darn the fact that I didn't think of it! I think it's such a good name. Definitely quirky and cheeky

I've been thinking about this more since posting and I am thinking of calling my business "The Pretty Face Place" what does everyone think?!!!

Its predominantly makeup and lashes, will eventually be a bit more beauty but more facials and skincare than mani-pedis although I would put them on the menu as it were.

Aaaargh now I need a new logo!!

Latest posts

Back