The dreaded Smear Test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't no but I really thought I'd pee when I had to cough in the middle of it all!! Hate having them but we must! X

I've been asking for a smear test for ages yet to no avail have they agreed. Just because i'm under 25 which in my eyes is ridiculous when i know damn well somethin is wrong!! I always thought if you had a child you were meant to have them anyway.

Anyway, sorry to rant haha hope all goes well for you. Is it just a routine check?

I absolutely hate this rule! I ended up needing surgery that put my fertility at risk at the age of 26 because I was refused a smear test. I mean I don't mean to frighten you, I have a two year old son with another bub on the way, but the surgery could have maybe been avoided if they had just given me the smear test I requested at 23. Try and be persistent with them, I really get the frustration xx

I absolutely hate this rule! I ended up needing surgery that put my fertility at risk at the age of 26 because I was refused a smear test. I mean I don't mean to frighten you, I have a two year old son with another bub on the way, but the surgery could have maybe been avoided if they had just given me the smear test I requested at 23. Try and be persistent with them, I really get the frustration xx

I thought that they had bought in a new rule that it's 24 now? I had mine at 24 last year. I agree though, I think it should be available at 18, how many lives must be put at risk for them to change it! Xx

I'm lucky I'm in Scotland and its 20, but I think they should lower it to 16 as that's when most young girls are sexually active now!!
The nurse said instead of every 3 years they are going to change it to every 5! I think that's a bit long between xx

I'm lucky I'm in Scotland and its 20, but I think they should lower it to 16 as that's when most young girls are sexually active now!!
The nurse said instead of every 3 years they are going to change it to every 5! I think that's a bit long between xx

Its ridiculous I think it should be once a year or at least every 2, and yes definitely 16, im sure I got my first one when I was 18 also in Scotland im 32 :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I am in Scotland also and have been getting smears since I was 19 and have had so many irregular results and have been very close to needing treatment but fortunately not yet. I think it should be lowered in England as if I hadn't had such a close eye kept on the foof you never know where I would be. I think I've had about ten smears already and two biopsys, they know me at the hospital lol. And I'm only 27. If I was in England I would only have had one so far.

I don't bother about getting it out anyone, but I certainly don't want to watch them doing the biopsy on the tv screen and I've also had a trainee watching the biopsy and had the running commentary - I don't need to know :sick;

Because I was in uni in England and went home to Wales when I finished it meant I'd missed the lower age...because I was younger I didn't realise how important it was. It's so daft that it's not at a lower age...and should be part of our normal life and routine.

But when I eventually had it-not Guna lie was so scared. But the nurse was lovely and was over with in a matter of minutes (I explained that it was my 1st smear) and she explained everything and was great. On my way out she shouted ((really loud)) "Oww lovey ya panties, ya showing ya panties" I could of died with laughter I only had my dress caught on my knickers cringeeeee 🙈😭

I had my 2nd smear last year and she was great again. Really relaxed and wasn't bothered they see so many that it's normal for them just like for your doing waxes etc. This nurse had seen something so I had to have some more and some treatment and everyone is so helpful.

Good luck, it'll be fine and so worth it once it's done and you can rest assured.

Oh gosh you ladies reminded me as I am due my smear next Month. My first one was terrible, I was 19 and the nurse who booked it in said If I was old enough to have sex I was old enough for a smear. She was so old school lol! The actual smear was so painful they even asked me if I was sexually active! I also had a student in watching me, the poor woman she spent the whole time trying to console me. They couldn't get the speculum thingy in and had to use the tiny one. Thankfully the last few have been very quick and I've had so many hands/instruments up 'there' when I was induced with bubba, a smear is nothing in comparison :) I think it's really bad they have upped the age to 25. One of my best friends had stage 2 cancerous cells at 22 years old and they only found this because she practically forced the Gp to book her in for a smear. If she had waited to 25 god knows what could have happened she might not even be here today xx

I had my first one which was a post natal smear when I was 24, it was horrible and uncomfortable. I had my second last week and it was fine, it was a bit uncomfortable but over in seconds! The first time I was made to undress with the nurse turned around and the window didn't have any blinds on and she was a bit rough. My second time I was allowed to go behind the curtain and get comfortable, there were blinds and the nurse was so nice and calm and quick, she has restored my faith in smears now as I was dreading it beforehand after last time! Even though my first nurse was obviously experienced she wasn't very professional and didn't put me at ease, anyone could have walked in and saw me legs wide open so I was aware of this and uncomfortable. Also the waiting room is right outside and my husband said he could hear everything😱, the nurse saying "so this is your first smear" and "this might be a bit uncomfortable" I was mortified when he told me and even more so as I walked out of the room one of my clients was in the waiting room and she must have heard I was in there having a smear, and everyone else in there!!! They have music playing now

I had my first one which was a post natal smear when I was 24, it was horrible and uncomfortable. I had my second last week and it was fine, it was a bit uncomfortable but over in seconds! The first time I was made to undress with the nurse turned around and the window didn't have any blinds on and she was a bit rough. My second time I was allowed to go behind the curtain and get comfortable, there were blinds and the nurse was so nice and calm and quick, she has restored my faith in smears now as I was dreading it beforehand after last time! Even though my first nurse was obviously experienced she wasn't very professional and didn't put me at ease, anyone could have walked in and saw me legs wide open so I was aware of this and uncomfortable. Also the waiting room is right outside and my husband said he could hear everything😱, the nurse saying "so this is your first smear" and "this might be a bit uncomfortable" I was mortified when he told me and even more so as I walked out of the room one of my clients was in the waiting room and she must have heard I was in there having a smear, and everyone else in there!!! They have music playing now

Oh no the shame!!!

I thought that they had bought in a new rule that it's 24 now? I had mine at 24 last year. I agree though, I think it should be available at 18, how many lives must be put at risk for them to change it! Xx

There's currently a petition to help lower it look for "Sophie's choice" on face book! Get it signed an shared !!

This poor girl pestered to have a smear, got refused and died of cervical cancer, hopefully the hard work her family are putting in will help prevent it happening agin x x

i had my first smear at around 17 and had the abnormal cells so i had to have a smear every 6 months after that and had treatment with the laser etc but finally got the all clear 4 years ago so this is my first smear since then so hopefully its still clear.

I sprayed glitter on my fandangles instead of deodrant when I last went. Nurse said 'I see you got ready for it' :o:eek:

this really made me giggle :D

There's currently a petition to help lower it look for "Sophie's choice" on face book! Get it signed an shared !!

This poor girl pestered to have a smear, got refused and died of cervical cancer, hopefully the hard work her family are putting in will help prevent it happening agin x x

Just to add this link can be followed to sign Sophie's choice http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62385

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Im in australia, and as soon as you become sexually active you have to have one then its every 2 years after that. I had my first smear at 17

You lot make me laugh, and some could audition for the sticky vicky act in Benidorm with those cervical muscles .. Lol ....
I know of someone who died at 30 with cervical cancer ... She left behind 2 young children ... !!! ...
Then there's Jade Goody - wasn't she younger than 25 when she was diagnosed ?
If this thread just makes one person realise how important smear tests are to have and a few more sign the petition... Hopefully they will realise that this age needs to be lowered !!!
Xxx

Im in australia, and as soon as you become sexually active you have to have one then its every 2 years after that. I had my first smear at 17

Yes that was the same foe me too over there. However I had my first one at 12. No, just kidding!!! 18. :o

I was told after both my children (8&3) and by a health visitor to have a smear, they even wrote it on my hospital notes and I still got refused for a smear. I just received a letter saying I need to book one but im not 25 till september so not sure if they will allow me to book it yet or not. (Cant book it yet anyway as we are moving but dont know when yet :/) been waiting so long for this haha xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just phoned and booked mine I'm a few months late I had a letter then completely forgot ( very naughty I know)
So this has jogged my memory

Legs crossed I won't have any funny stories to add to this thread :)

They already suspect i have endometriosis so waiting to hear about laprascopy (sp?) op. That itself can cause infertility. Really cant see how age limit of 25 is justified but hey ho. Did they never give you the smear under 25 then? Xx

Latest posts

Back