The Edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna-louise

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a trial/starter kit of The Edge l&p which has everything in except a dehydrator. Do you think it would be ok to use acetone so I can try the kit and see if I like it.
Any advice appreciated

Donna

I personally wouldnt use acetone as it doesnt contain pathogen fighting ingredients which sanitises the nail plate before application of your product. I use scrubresh but if you dont have it then I would purchase the dehydrator from The Edge.

David

hiya, i have trained in the edge and was never trained to use dehydrator (think i spelt thet wrong) as i was told it was'nt needed but personal choice, i have not ventured much off waht i was taught yet so would not know if you really need it or not, i dont even know if the edge sell one?????

Hi

I use the edge products, have to because of college.

Anyway what we use is The Edge sanitising spray. It acts as both a sanitiser and dehydrator. You can buy it in 2 sizes the dearest is around £7.00 for a bottle.

It can be used with Gel and L&p and Fibreglass.

Love

Debbie xxx

I too have brought some Edge products but haven't started using them yet. THe products I trained with was 4 mins under UV light - is it the same for the EDGe. Did you get instructions in your trial kit?

Re use of acetone as a dehydrator - thats the way I was taught at college and it has been fine so far...

I have also been taught to use Acetone in this way at college! But i think sometimes it isnt untill you start trying diffierent things and with practice you find what suits you best.
GOOD LUCK

Well I think your college tutors should either be re-trained or shot....If you are using acetone on clients on a regular basis (every 2 weeks) you will be getting some onto the surrounding skin which leaves you open to over-exposure. Invest in a product that removes pathogens and dehydrates the nail in a safe manner. JMHO
David

hi can any one posting on here tell me what edge products are like to use, thinking of trying them. thankyou.x

I agree with David.

Colleges tend to use acetone because it's cheap and not because it's the best thing to use. There are far better products on the market that are designed to be used on the natural nail, I would say that acetone isn't that product. Also acetone have nasty fumes which personally make me choke - your client may feel the same way. Find something that is less harsh hun. Plus acetone may cause breakdown of your tips if you get it on them.

JMHO

Jaydee said:
Well I think your college tutors should either be re-trained or shot....If you are using acetone on clients on a regular basis (every 2 weeks) you will be getting some onto the surrounding skin which leaves you open to over-exposure. Invest in a product that removes pathogens and dehydrates the nail in a safe manner. JMHO
David

Colleges are no good at all!

I trained with my local college and then had a private tutorial with a fully qualified nail technician that knew her stuff!

When I mentioned some of the things college taught us to do she was horrified!

I wouldnt go as far as to say colleges are no good at all.....lol. A lot of the tutors done their training many years ago and once they are in a college their education doesn't get addressed again cos they have their qualification. The problem is as our Industry moves forward and gets better the colleges dont follow suit.

David

How about recommending a good product to use instead of acetone then guys?;)

Thanks for replying. I did get a sanitising spray in the kit so will be having a play this weekend. I was also taught to use acetone to dehydrate at college,( if we did not have equaliser which is the dehydrator ofr pro flo products.) Will let you know how I get on with it (the edge that is)
Donna

Scrubfresh from Creative, or "Cleaner" from LCN are the two that I use and they do the job well. Scrubfresh have the pathogen fighters. HTH

Thanks sassy!

Donna - I would be really interested to hear how you find the edge products. I have just brought some but i rarely get people in for nail exts (mainly do beauty and holistics)... so may be a while before I actually use them. I got the clear, pink and hollywood white gels.

Sorry - another question donna - are you using a UV lamp by the edge - i am going to use the products with my usual uv lamp. will let you know how i get on

Hi its the l&p kit that i got

Donna

Hi

Ive been using "The Edge" products since January because I am in college and those are the products that the college have recommended. Im doing a VTCT course and 3 weeks off qualifying!

To say im not very happy with The Edge products is an understatement!

Before I started doing "nails" I didnt have a clue about the different products available and now ive been revising and looking things up well it astounds me how insuperior these products are. Out tutor is apparently Creative trained and she tried to get the college to change products because she had never used the Edge products before but the college wouldnt budge!

I personally think that its ok to begin with as a learner kit but once you have the hang of doing it then you realise how insuperior it is.

I am now currently trying to find a new product that I think will be suitable for my impending clients!

I want to train with CND (although I am wondering abut EZ, as they are mentioned a lot here too) but alas money is the object and it will be a long time before I can even consider training with them. So I have to make the best of my knowlege and try my hardest to please clients with the knowlege I currently have.

Love

Debbie xxx

Ok The Edge...I have been using The Edge products for quite a while now I use the Low Odour Uv Acrylic systems...which is basically tips with an acrylic overlay which are cured under a uv lamp.

The santitising spray is not a dehydrator, it is what is states which is a sanitising spray for spraying on clients hands to make sure they are clean and free from germs and contain anti-bacterial properties for cleanliness (personally I use Hibisol which is what the hospitals use...it is cheaper and better) and it will inhibit bacteria and fungal infections.

This particular systems requires that you dehydrate the nail with acetone to remove oil and moisture from the nail. After you have lightly buffed the nail with a white block and applied the appropriate tip following all necessary guidelines you then use a primer pen to remove any surface oils and shine from the nail and then apply the overlay.

If the client or even if you touch the nail after it has been primed you are then adding oils back onto the nail from your fingers so take care not to touch the nail once it has been prep'ed ready for the acrylic overlay.

I have used this sytem and have been very happy to use it...you get very good results.

Debbie - I too have been looking for a new product - I chose the Edge cause Salon Connections said it was their most popular line and it is easy for me to pop in there to buy bits and pieces as i need them. I would love to do creative but because i am recently qualified i would have to do a 5 day course costing £600. However if i wait til have been qualified a year it is only £150 for the day which includes a kit - so i am going to wait a year. I would be interested to know which products you end up choosing....

wondernails - thats good info on how to use the acrylic system if i decide to try them out. I have been trying to get info on how to use the gel system ie. how long to cure... etc. etc. Any ideas where i could try?

(all us welshies on this thread!!):biggrin:

Donna - sorry i don't mean to hijack your thread :o

Latest posts

Back