The grey/silver thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't look the same as the picture, looked like this. View attachment 193304View attachment 193305From this View attachment 193306 was illumina 5/81 pastel on root area then half 7/81 half 10/69 pastel mids and ends. She loved it but washed it once and it ALL came out. Tried colour touch 8/81, that washed back out so I've left her with a grey mousse which she can put in as and when she wants too. Very porous hair unfortunately
Hi, was wondering if you put the toner over your clients existing colour as in before pic or did you lighten it any more?

These are my grey formulas. Long hair is vitalities 9/8
Short hair is Schwarzkopf igora Royal half 9,5-22 half 9,5-1 and inch of 0-22
Hope this helps people.
I don't stick with one line of colour I like to try different brands.
Would like to thank all of you for advice.
I'm hairdresser after 13 years I feel I need to refresh my colour theory n this forum has helped, so Thankyou very much xx

Hi used this formula and it turned blue on the roots ..
How can I stop that happening ?

Hi, was wondering if you put the toner over your clients existing colour as in before pic or did you lighten it any more?
I lightened the hair a bit higher, leaving out the root area and the already blonde ends

hi peeps .
was wondering for a bit of advise. I have a client who hair have lightened to a very pale yellow. she wants the grey/silver tone. I was going to use the Clynol Viton Go Blonde in shade 12.1, Ultra light ash blonde with 6%. Would this mixture be okay, or would u add a bit of blue corrector to it .

Any help or comments would e greatly appreciated.

12.1? Is that their highlift line? I'm not familiar with that colour brand but if it's a high lift its a big no no to tone with x

12.1? Is that their highlift line? I'm not familiar with that colour brand but if it's a high lift its a big no no to tone with x
Hi Lauren , what do u mean their highlift line ? Sorry if I sound think. xx

Hi Lauren , what do u mean their highlift line ? Sorry if I sound think. xx
She is naturally a base 6/7, so I have lifted it with bleach to a pale yellow, I was then gonna use the 12.1 colour to achieve the silver grey look xx

I use wella so for example their permanent line goes up to a base 10 then the special blondes are a 12 these are high lift tints and are only used to lift you can't use them to tone x

I use wella so for example their permanent line goes up to a base 10 then the special blondes are a 12 these are high lift tints and are only used to lift you can't use them to tone x
brilliant I know what u mean. what would u suggest lauren to get the steel grey effect, its a perm colour otherwise I would use crazy colours x

She is naturally a base 6/7, so I have lifted it with bleach to a pale yellow, I was then gonna use the 12.1 colour to achieve the silver grey look xx
I've just looked up that colour line and yes the 12.1 is a highlift tint so can't be used for toning x

I've just looked up that colour line and yes the 12.1 is a highlift tint so can't be used for toning x
thanks lauren. im mobile ,so I don't always get the advise that I need, what would u suggest as a grey colour in a permanent colour,

brilliant I know what u mean. what would u suggest lauren to get the steel grey effect, its a perm colour otherwise I would use crazy colours x
I've not personally done the grey steel but it all depends on the base your working with if you use the search facility there are loads of threads with pictures of stylists work and some formulas which work well I've used on my own hair a igora Royal formula but can't remember now which one it was! They have their own silver colours which one of the other geeks has used and got brill results I would say if you've got her to a pale level 10 if you tone to white first and then apply your grey formula you will get a cleaner result x

I've not personally done the grey steel but it all depends on the base your working with if you use the search facility there are loads of threads with pictures of stylists work and some formulas which work well I've used on my own hair a igora Royal formula but can't remember now which one it was! They have their own silver colours which one of the other geeks has used and got brill results I would say if you've got her to a pale level 10 if you tone to white first and then apply your grey formula you will get a cleaner result x
thanks lauren. ive justed looked and capital. do the igora in a dove grey, which im gonna try. so thank u very much

I'ld be careful with the new igora silver colours as they are designed for natural white hair so are quite densely pigmented and come up quite dark.

I may have already posted here, but I have 'granny grey' hair and over prelightened hair, that I tone to a clean Platinium I mix colourtouch 8/81 with /68 and 1.9%. Then to maintain I use a strong silver shampoo everyone and top up with lavender from Adore. Super high maintenance Colour!

I have an older client who's natural colour is really about a 10/8 in koleston perfect around her sides and temples. She would like to be this colour through the top section too. She is currently about a level 8 on her roots but a slate grey where her bleached highlights have grown out.
Her previous hairdresser would give her bleach highlights and then tone. Currently the bleach middle length and ends are quite golden.
In order to counteract the tone on the middle length and ends I was going to use 9/8 in koleston perfect but am I better to use a colour touch shade because of it going over previously bleached hair.
With regards to the regrowth area would koleston 9/8 with 9% be ok, I would rather steer away from bleach if I can and use a colour if it's possible.
Hope the above makes sense. I know that I've read previously to get a clean grey you need to bleach but my client is 100% grey, but just a slightly deep slate on the root.

I have an older client who's natural colour is really about a 10/8 in koleston perfect around her sides and temples. She would like to be this colour through the top section too. She is currently about a level 8 on her roots but a slate grey where her bleached highlights have grown out.
Her previous hairdresser would give her bleach highlights and then tone. Currently the bleach middle length and ends are quite golden.
In order to counteract the tone on the middle length and ends I was going to use 9/8 in koleston perfect but am I better to use a colour touch shade because of it going over previously bleached hair.
With regards to the regrowth area would koleston 9/8 with 9% be ok, I would rather steer away from bleach if I can and use a colour if it's possible.
Hope the above makes sense. I know that I've read previously to get a clean grey you need to bleach but my client is 100% grey, but just a slightly deep slate on the root.

This is a VERY confusing post.

Her natural depth is a 10/8 then its an 8 but you want to use 9/8 to achieve a 10 but then your client is 100% white?

Sorry knew someone would say that, I'm confused too!
As in most people you tend to go grew on sides first don't you, on her sides and mostly through the back she is very light grey, if I was to match it up to a colour chart she is as light, and has the tone of a 10/8. Through some of her parting area I would describe it as a slate grey along the lines of a level 8.
What she wants to archive is to bring the parting area up to match her sides being the 10/8. Because her hair has been previously bleached I felt if I was to put 10/8 on her middle length and ends it wouldn't hold, that's why I was asking about using the 9/8.

Sorry knew someone would say that, I'm confused too!
As in most people you tend to go grew on sides first don't you, on her sides and mostly through the back she is very light grey, if I was to match it up to a colour chart she is as light, and has the tone of a 10/8. Through some of her parting area I would describe it as a slate grey along the lines of a level 8.
What she wants to archive is to bring the parting area up to match her sides being the 10/8. Because her hair has been previously bleached I felt if I was to put 10/8 on her middle length and ends it wouldn't hold, that's why I was asking about using the 9/8.

Still confused.

Its white unpigmented hair, you don't identify it as a depth.

Sounds like you're mistaking for 'slate grey' what is actually a mixture of natural pigmented hair and white hair... There is no such thing as grey hair!

So can you identify the % of white?

Bleach is going to be your friend on this one i think.

I would say the root area is about 80 % grey. I was just hoping that I could of lifted the root area using colour?
so your saying I'm not going to get her roots lifted without using bleach?

Latest posts

Back