The right way to do rockstar toes/nails ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliché

Reaction score
Hellooo~

I looked through several topics with the search function but couldn't find anything.

I've just started Shellac and am LOVING it, so now I'd really like to try out rockstar nails, especially after seeing all of you guys' great work/pictures around the forum.

I looked at several videos on YouTube and there seems to be 2 techniques:

#1- Apply 1 color coat, tap glitter bottle over nails to drop glitter onto the uncured layer of Shellac color, then cure for 2 min.

#2- Apply 2 coats of color, curing both, then using a brush and alcohol, taking glitter with brush and rubbing/pressing it into the tacky layer of Shellac color.

Which way is the best way to do it? It looks fairly simple, I just really want to get it right the 1st time. Mind you, I'll be practicing on myself before anyone else, so it's not THAT big of a deal if I mess up, I'd just rather not waste products of course.

(I will be using Martha Stewart glitter, if that matters?)

Both of these ways are perfectly acceptable and work equally as well. Curing the glitter into the color coat will give a more sparkly finish however, and scrubbing into the sticky layer will give a smoother, more foil like finish. Try both and see which you prefer!

There is a huge and current thread at the moment with pictures of other Geeks Rockstars, and helpful advice- it can't be very far down the thread list if you have a look.

You can also join the Rockstar group by clicking groups on your menu bar at the top of the page- you will find lots of info here x (can't access from the phone app- only using your pc or your phone's Internet browser)

I find the second technique suits me best. I find it's less messy and a bit more acurate but it might be a good idea to try both to see which you find suits you. HTH x

Both of these ways are perfectly acceptable and work equally as well. Curing the glitter into the color coat will give a more sparkly finish however, and scrubbing into the sticky layer will give a smoother, more foil like finish. Try both and see which you prefer!

There is a huge and current thread at the moment with pictures of other Geeks Rockstars, and helpful advice- it can't be very far down the thread list if you have a look.

You can also join the Rockstar group by clicking groups on your menu bar at the top of the page- you will find lots of info here x (can't access from the phone app- only using your pc or your phone's Internet browser)

Thank you! I didn't realize either technique ended with sort of a different result. I'm leaning towards a more sparkly look, but I guess I'll have to try both to see which one I prefer.

Would you offer the both options to your clients or you pick your prefered one and stick with that for everyone ?

Thanks again! :D

I would test out both ways and see which you prefer doing, and the look of, for sure.

Then you can make a personal choice as to how you will offer your rockstars. I personally prefer the neatness, smoothness and lack of waste when I scrub the glitter into the tacky layer.

At the end if the day though, you are the technician, so the choice in method, in this instance, is yours. Having more than one way of doing things for different client needs is great- so play, test it out, and see how you like the different effects!

Can I ask a really stupid question??? How do you "scrub" the glitter onto the nail??

I normally use the first method but cure 1st colour and then apply glitter to tacky layer then cure and then apply topcoat. Am I doing it wrongly??

Thanks

Although some of us say 'scrub' what we really mean is just pressing and smoothing into the tacky layer with a brush, so perhaps that's the wrong word for me to use.

Have you looked at Fingernailfixer's videos on YouTube? Rockstar method V3 is the one I'm referring to, and watching the video will help you see what I mean.

Like I said, there's not really a wrong way to do it- it's a matter of preference. Either you cure your color coats, and press the glitter into the sticky layer before topcoating, or you paint on your color, apply the glitter, and then cure the color, followed by top coat.

See which way works best for you and the glitters you use x

Just to add that some techs (me included) had chipping issues with applying glitter into colour coat before curing. Because of this I now only use the v3 method (scrubbing into cured colour coat) x

Thanks for your help. I had a look at both fingernail fixers videos. I had only been doing one topcoat when I should've been doing two!!

It really does make a difference, especially in the smoothness of the nail.

Cxx

hey just thought id put my process for how i've been doing rockstar..
after all prep work is done i apply my fast bonder..wait to dry, apply base coat-cure, apply colour coat-cure, brush on the glitter-cure, use brush to remove excess glitter, apply 2 top coats-curing after each time...i have done still got my first set of rockstar on my toes after 3 weeks and had no chipping/peeling and theres no growth showing yet, also saw one of my clients after 3 weeks and same results for hers...she also had it on her fingers, slight chip but she admitted this was her own fault and it was after 2 weeks so i'm not too bothered lol. love the rockstar look soo much and have converted many ladies into gel polish/rockstar :)

I love the rockstar look too. Im wearing Asphalt with multi colored glitter at the moment and it looks fab. I have had so many comments about it and it is a great way to advertise. I personally like the smooth rockstar effect and so do most of my clients, but I think is due to the fact that I have been wearing a lot of it lately.:biggrin:

AnnemarieLowrie... would love to see a pic of this, and where did you purchase the glitter from? :)

Latest posts

Back