The Sanctuary Covent Garden

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocobeauty

Reaction score
Is closing down next May :(

Will have to make the effort to get some pampering.

Hope another similar business opens and employs existing staff!

C

Awww yeah I read about this. I've never been there but it's sad news that somewhere with a good reputation and that has been going for 36 years isn't immune from closure. I hope it gets saved if possible.

I got this email earlier on today as well
I've always wanted to go here still haven't made it! But it is really sad- I will defo get there before may now!

Cant believe this.

The Iconic swing from the film 'The Stud' such a shame!!!

First went there some 15yrs ago place was quite shabby and a bit run down, but had fantastic therapists best massage I have ever had.

The place then had a big refit and rebrand although I didnt think the treatments were what they used to be.

Sad wonder what the reason is?

Cant believe this.

The Iconic swing from the film 'The Stud' such a shame!!!

First went there some 15yrs ago place was quite shabby and a bit run down, but had fantastic therapists best massage I have ever had.

The place then had a big refit and rebrand although I didnt think the treatments were what they used to be.

Sad wonder what the reason is?

Apparently they aren't getting enough customers- people prefer treatments at home!

http://www.professionalbeauty.co.uk...ntent=sanctuary&dm_i=S3I,1YCEN,8PAL1V,70SZN,1

I really believe the current climate where people expect unreasonable discounts (eg groupon) has contributed to many businesses of this calibre struggling.

I am gutted about this, I go there once a year and the treatments are the best!

People want something for nothing these days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really believe the current climate where people expect unreasonable discounts (eg groupon) has contributed to many businesses of this calibre struggling.

Agreed! That's why I struggle to accept the groupon mentality really!

Agreed! That's why I struggle to accept the groupon mentality really!

Yep. And while I can't blame any business owner for trying to get the cash flow moving through their business , it creates a precedent. My old business teacher used to say that anything is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Once somebody has paid a reduced price for something, it will never be worth more to them after that. This creates a climate where all businesses suffer.

Is closing down next May :(

Will have to make the effort to get some pampering.

Hope another similar business opens and employs existing staff!

C

That's really bad news, love our 'girlie days' there :sad: hope it doesn't happen!

What do you all make of the reviews at the bottom of the link - is it fair to say this establishment wasn't as good as some claim? I don't know as I haven't been there.

I've never been either- no one will come with me it's too expensive!!!! I'm hoping they might do some farewell deals?!

Perhaps we should all go? You can treat us virtues.... You can afford it 😜😜😜😜😜

When working in both four star spas on my cv it really irritated me when clients would harp on about how cheaply they'd brought their treatments because the cynical part of me thought "that's all very well but that's why im paid so little for all the work I do and people are gettig sent home after a few hours when its quiet."

Every action has a consequence and all that jazz. I wish clients would realise that if they get something so cheap then it's usually come at a price to someone else. People won't have any high quality spas to go to if this continues because the spas won't make enough money to keep running or they will be scraping the barrel when it comes to paying for good therapists and keeping morale where it should be. Sorry if I sound a bit disillusioned but I've seen the consequences first hand and it's such a shame because spas can't reach their full potential as a result.

Last edited:
True words Laura Kate
Some years ago 'The Sanctuary' was revered as it was THE place to go to.

We are now awash with "Spa's"and voucher mentality which inturn is having a negative impact on the Spa industry

True words Laura Kate
Some years ago 'The Sanctuary' was revered as it was THE place to go to.

We are now awash with "Spa's"and voucher mentality which inturn is having a negative impact on the Spa industry

Standards do drop though, the reviews on the bottom of the link regarding this spa were not some of the best. There are spa's, nail salons, hair salons, mobile, home...saturation is killing everything. I leased the shop next door to my hair salon to open the beauty side, half way through the modifications to the interior I shut it down, it's too difficult to compete regardless if you are the best at what you do. I understand you will always have those that pay, those that want something for nothing, those that only look for cheap deals and the like, but I believe the places that charge extortionate amounts for the same service you can get somewhere else for half the cost will eventually fail unless the country has a rapid reversal and peoples finances increase and jobs become widely available. I understand this is not the first recession this country has had but probably one of the worst, our countries credit rating has dropped, I don't remember this happening before...and the likes of woolworths and comet were still here back then!

Thing is I'm sure we all love a discount.Of course we don't like it in our own industry and when it starts affecting us,but I'm sure we all try and get a good deal on certain things without for one minute thinking, I should just pay what's being asked and not look for it cheaper because I might be putting someone out of business.

When I looked for my bathroom suite I got it down to as cheap as I could.
The whole thing still cost me thousands to have done and that's why I had to and I'm sure the local company who gave me the same price as I could get on the net obviously didn't get the profit they wanted but I'm thinking of me and my budget unfortunately and not them.

Thing is I'm sure we all love a discount.Of course we don't like it in our own industry and when it starts affecting us,but I'm sure we all try and get a good deal on certain things without for one minute thinking, I should just pay what's being asked and not look for it cheaper because I might be putting someone out of business.

When I looked for my bathroom suite I got it down to as cheap as I could.
The whole thing still cost me thousands to have done and that's why I had to and I'm sure the local company who gave me the same price as I could get on the net obviously didn't get the profit they wanted but I'm thinking of me and my budget unfortunately and not them.

That is probably one of the truest words on here. I believe you are right, if you work in procurement that is the one thing you learn...get the costs down as low as you can and keep the quality high. I always barter with everything. I am not phased at all by asking for discounts, freebies, numerous quotes for everything I need. Sale or return on products, 60 day credit facilities....but out of the ten bathroom shops you could be looking at there are 1000 spa's/ hairdressers to compare....lol

Oh Virtues
I could go all political here and go off on complete tangent!
I remember going through the first recession in the early 90's when interest rates reached 17%. I had a mortgage on the business premises I was in
That was quite crippling but trade was absolutely brilliant. People weren't buying houses, cars , having exotic holidays etc but they could always find some cash to make themselves feel good. Although then we weren't saturated with salons and therapists. Things are very different today.
It's not just our industry that's suffering. My dearest friend is a lawyer this industry too is flooded with professionals where there isn't enough work to go round and the likes of TESCO'S and COOPERATIVE offering cut price or 'fixed priced" legal services. Is having a detrimental affect on that industry

Oh Virtues
I could go all political here and go off on complete tangent!
I remember going through the first recession in the early 90's when interest rates reached 17%. I had a mortgage on the business premises I was in
That was quite crippling but trade was absolutely brilliant. People weren't buying houses, cars , having exotic holidays etc but they could always find some cash to make themselves feel good. Although then we weren't saturated with salons and therapists. Things are very different today.
It's not just our industry that's suffering. My dearest friend is a lawyer this industry too is flooded with professionals where there isn't enough work to go round and the likes of TESCO'S and COOPERATIVE offering cut price or 'fixed priced" legal services. Is having a detrimental affect on that industry

Yes I was there too, albeit with my house, no businesses at that time but luckily I had a fixed mortgage rate so I was one of the lucky ones. Everyone is out for themselves these days you have to be.

Look at the pub trade. It's over. You can't compete with the likes of Tesco for a crate of beer for £10 two pints in a pub is £10.

All industries are suffering, apart from the critical ones (power stations) apologies here I have worked very closely with the Middle East for well over 10 years that are very cash rich, when they stop paying their bills you know things are horribly wrong and that is what I saw before I left my previous employment this year. It is worldwide not just the UK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back