These poor nails, pic included. What should I advise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the other posters in saying that the nail length needs to be taken right down and then mabey have shellac done.

I feel sorry for the client and im sure she wont be picking off enhancements again. If she does then like geeg has said she deserves everything she gets.
Also it is a great lesson to learn from and also to show clients why not to pick enhancements off. Im sure if anyone saw this picture they would think twice about picking off enhancements xx

Omg oooooh, those look so bad. I can honestly say I have never ever seen nails that bad. I deffs think that is more then picking. Looks like some kind of infection, I agree with some of the ladies above.

Gigi
You are like an encyclopedia for us nailgeeklings

I do wish I can use shellac when I read how you put the benefits ! Never seen nails this bad, and hope I never will. But If I ever saw one I really wish I could use shellac. ( I can’t shake bottles, my neck hurts to much) Do you think for example IBD soakoffs in pots can do the trick as well, or is it just shellac who can save the day for girls like this??

Tank you Gigi. If all mentors were like you we would have peace in the world!

Gigi
You are like an encyclopedia for us nailgeeklings

I do wish I can use shellac when I read how you put the benefits ! Never seen nails this bad, and hope I never will. But If I ever saw one I really wish I could use shellac. ( I can’t shake bottles, my neck hurts to much) Do you think for example IBD soakoffs in pots can do the trick as well, or is it just shellac who can save the day for girls like this??

Tank you Gigi. If all mentors were like you we would have peace in the world!

Yes, I think you could definitely try a gel as well for this same rescue remedy! Lol.

There may be a heat issue to watch out for when using a gel. Nails like these will be super sensitive to any exothermic heat reaction and many of the gels do have this so beware of that.

The biggest issue to avoid is the buffing ... Gels require it and on these nails you can't do it! The nails are so rough and damaged anyway, they won't require any more filing to rough up the surface!

Thanx
I think IBD is a good gel for those who suffers from handpains. The heat spikes is deffo less than for example LE. Use it a lot for ladies with different hand issues who can’t stand the filing and also react to heat. I will put a note in my book about this, never know when you have to use this lesson, and then it’s good to be prepared with an remedy. I will note about the heat so I consider it well if I will ever see this nail status. THANK YOU AGAIN!

As a newbie to all of this and someone who only does natural nails (standard polish and shellac), could I possibly ask what a greenie is?? xx

As a newbie to all of this and someone who only does natural nails (standard polish and shellac), could I possibly ask what a greenie is?? xx

A 'greenie' is the result of a bacterial infection.

When an enhancement coating becomes loose, through lack of regular maintenance or a trauma of some sort, clients picking etc., moisture can leak between the enhancement and the natural nail and bacteria can begin to multiply. The metabolism and waste of the bacteria dis-colour the nail plate green which if not seen too, can go darker and darker until it can become black.

It is not a usual occurrence and it is the nail technicians job to detect it if it is happening, quickly, and to remove the enhancement, clean the plate and then if not severe, the enhancement can be re-applied. The stain left by the infection will then grow out along with the normal nail growth.

The dark stain at the stress area of two of the nail in the image on page one of this thread clearly show that there has been a bacterial infection on those nails.

A 'greenie' is the result of a bacterial infection.

When an enhancement coating becomes loose, through lack of regular maintenance or a trauma of some sort, clients picking etc., moisture can leak between the enhancement and the natural nail and bacteria can begin to multiply. The metabolism and waste of the bacteria dis-colour the nail plate green which if not seen too, can go darker and darker until it can become black.

It is not a usual occurrence and it is the nail technicians job to detect it if it is happening, quickly, and to remove the enhancement, clean the plate and then if not severe, the enhancement can be re-applied. The stain left by the infection will then grow out along with the normal nail growth.

The dark stain at the stress area of two of the nail in the image on page one of this thread clearly show that there has been a bacterial infection on those nails.

Wow. Thank you Geeg. What a wonderful explanation. I appreciate you taking the time. x

What looks like has happened is, the first set was applied and left too long between fills, that set lifted and the nails were bending back and forth, hence the deep pocket of damage in the middle, then the person that filled them was too lazy too see what was going on and filled over the top, sealing in moisture and causing the greenies .....

As for what to do ...... gawd, just be gentle, keep this picture on her client card, date it and get her to sign it.

You have had some great advice already .....

Believe it or not (and this is only me), I'd do some intense cuticle work, sanitize well and dehydrate, just to make sure there are no oils left on what is left on those shreds of nails, (they shouldn't be buffed at all, lord knows they have enough crevices for acrylic to anchor) then use a non acid primer, apply acrylic, then shorten them drastically afterwards (leaving them about 2mm long), they don't have enough strength to shorten without some kind of reinforcement first, then coat the nail and cap the free edge with a good gel topcoat.

Sell her some solar oil and get her to come back in a week (is she lives local, get her to pop by every couple of days).

Keep them this short until the damage has grown out.

Make sure you document everything and take pictures all along the way.

BTW, great clarity in that picture

Latest posts

Back