Thinking about becoming a vegetarian

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this and thought about this thread, although I don't think they still make them like this, it's still gross. Had to share x
I remember when this was all over facebook a while back. So vile.

This is why I am really trying to stay away from milk, also I don't eat eggs. Really trying to become vegan x

We've just got hens and ones started laying so were lucky to know where our eggs come from :)

The difference in colour of the yolk is amazing and I do think they taste better. They are very happy hens and roam around all day they have started coming to us when were outside for food, there cheap to keep, we have pellets for them , vegetable scraps and they get to eat their way around the garden.

Also very entertaining just to watch x

OK I'm not one to preach so I hope this doesn't come off like that. But there really are good reasons to avoid dairy aside from health reasons....

Organic doesn't really mean anything, only that they can't pump their animals full of hormones like other farmers do.

Cows only produce milk when they have babies, they do not 'need' to be milked! They are artificially inseminated, continually to keep them pregnant / lactating. Cow's milk is meant for their babies, which are taken away from them at birth and sold for veal if they're male and if they're female, forced into the miserable life of a dairy cow. And once they're past it, they are slaughtered anyway.

This is the reason I went vegan as the more I looked into it, the more I realised I wanted no part of something so horrific.

Actually most male calfs from dairy herds are actually killed soon after birth as there is no market for veal in the uk.

jazmine, i wish I had the space for chickens! I do aspire to live on a small farm again some day and have lots of animals (none of whom will be for eating lol). I have no issues with eating eggs as long as I know they are free range and recently we have seen a farm we go past is selling them from home so we may have to stop some day and see what they are like because it would be GREAT to know our eggs came from happy hens 3 mile up the road :)

I doubt I could go as far as to avoiding dairy in veggie foods like quorn etc BUT I will be doing my best to vote with my feet re my milk, butter/spread, yoghurts and if I can find it... cheese!

Thanks for the facebook suggestions too

I am also still going strong! its been a good few weeks now ive been veggie :)
Now i'd like to think i could give up milk and dairy but i really think i would struggle, ive been buying organic milk but as you have said it dosent make it any less cruel :( is there any milk you can buy that is cruelty free? xx

Not as far as I am aware no. Give some alternate milks a try though. I still need to try soya but as I accidentally found, almond milk is right up my street and apparently my friend thinks I will enjoy hazelnut milk too :)

Good luck!

I am also still going strong! its been a good few weeks now ive been veggie :)
Now i'd like to think i could give up milk and dairy but i really think i would struggle, ive been buying organic milk but as you have said it dosent make it any less cruel :( is there any milk you can buy that is cruelty free? xx

Only plant milk. Dairy alternatives are getting better and more readily all the time. Check out tesco's dairy free range, it's pretty good. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Still going strong. Have been a bit run down this week and craving a really bloody steak for some reason so I watched PETA "glass walls" again..soon put me off :)

if you are craving bloody steak you may be low in iron, try and get a bit more spinach or leafy green veg in your diet for a few days and that should sort you out :)

For any southern veggies (or those who just fancy a trip to Brighton, which you so should because brighton is awesome for veggies), vegfest is on 16th & 17th March this year.

There are other vegfests around the country, but if you go to brighton on Sat 16th, I'll be there helping out on my friend's stall. She runs a not-for-profit all vegan bakery and the profits go to animal charities. Her cupcakes are completely awesome too by the way!

edit: forgot the link.... http://brighton.vegfest.co.uk/

That looks fab! Wish I had gone to more things like that when I lived over in England.

I have been reading a blog this week about a family much the same as ours (mum, dad, daughter, dog) who have given up supermarkets! Now they aren't veggie but I really like the ethics of what they are doing and why they are doing it. Supporting the local ecconomy. They budget £50 per week for their food and in the first 14 weeks noticed they haven't even used their whole budget. Out of the £700 they could have spent, they have only spent £500 and something. Anyway, today I visited our local veg shop to grab some grapes and noticed they do 6 free range eggs for £1 from a local farm! The eggs are actually all in a basket so you can pick and pack your own. MUCH cheaper than the supermarket and you can be sure they traveled less to get to me and the farmer is no doubt getting a better price.

So yeah, I think sometime this/next month I am going to start planning on local shops to get ALL my groceries from so I can support the local people and hopefully get better quality food for a better price :)

(sorry slight tangent - but felt this thread was the most appropriate thread lol)

Right so ive replaced milk with soya milk... now its just cheese i have an issue with as i love cheese! any cruelty free cheese ideas?? I'm going to continue to eat eggs as i don't feel this is cruel so long as they are free range!xx

Right so ive replaced milk with soya milk... now its just cheese i have an issue with as i love cheese! any cruelty free cheese ideas?? I'm going to continue to eat eggs as i don't feel this is cruel so long as they are free range!xx
Try redwoods cheese. To be honest, none of the vegan cheeses are much like dairy cheese. But I think this is one of the better brands. I like the white cheddar and the mozzarella, both are better when melted though.

Re eggs - I could probably change your mind on that if you like!!? :lol:

Whether you eat meat or not it is the processing that is the problem today. Processed foods are not good for health. If you eat meat then try and buy good quality sourced cuts. I also have a problem with non meat foods - I doubt Quorn is that good for you - totally processed and cereals with sugars and rubbish in them, yet have 3% fat or good for you on the box. I find it hard to educate my son who thinks coco pops are OK! Just eat as unadulterated as possible for a healthier lifestyle.

Whether you eat meat or not it is the processing that is the problem today. Processed foods are not good for health. If you eat meat then try and buy good quality sourced cuts. I also have a problem with non meat foods - I doubt Quorn is that good for you - totally processed and cereals with sugars and rubbish in them, yet have 3% fat or good for you on the box. I find it hard to educate my son who thinks coco pops are OK! Just eat as unadulterated as possible for a healthier lifestyle.

I am living on lentils, beans and as few meat substitutes as possible. I'm actually avoiding Quorn as much as I can as it contains eggs which arn't free range.

I am living on lentils, beans and as few meat substitutes as possible. I'm actually avoiding Quorn as much as I can as it contains eggs which arn't free range.

Does it really? That's awful!!!

I thought they were veg society approved and wouldve thought they'd have to use free range to get that?

Oh and if you haven't got any cookbook yet i can really recommend appetite for reduction by Isa chandra moskowitz. All calorie counted, easy and yummy recipes. It is my most used cookbook ever!!

Oh and if you haven't got any cookbook yet i can really recommend appetite for reduction by Isa chandra moskowitz. All calorie counted, easy and yummy recipes. It is my most used cookbook ever!!

I may treat myself on Monday ;)

Latest posts

Back