This feels a little weird

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layercaeks

Reaction score
Not saying I have a problem with it but my colleague messaged me today about a training plan that requires me to work after hours. As far as I know its unpaid.

I just find it odd how they just decided this without asking us or considering our out of work lives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Will you not learn skills that will help you be better at your job? Earn more money? Skills you will have with you for life?
Bosses can't win these days they get moaned at for not paying fpr training and then moaned at when they ask people to give up a little spare time to attend courses. :(

Find out as much as you can about it. It may be just the course you need. If you don't need to pay for it, then that's even better. It's not forever, it's just a course. It may well help you in the future or even immediately in the work you do.

Ask your other colleagues about it too. You may find that they are happy to do it and then you will feel better about it too.

Look on the bright side first, see the best in things first, then see how it goes. Life is good, if you let it.

I have a similar issue at work, although it's not training. We're having to stay behind 5 hours after work to do hair at a charity fashion show for a failing local clothes shop. It'll bring no new clients in the salon because we've only managed to sell 2 tickets! ..these 5 hours are unpaid for of course 😖

Just to kind of mirror "Nearlyme" any training will better your work to earn more money, also free charity work will give you the opportunity to showcase your work in areas you may not encounter in your every day work.

Grab every chance you get for FREE training and FREE promotional work. This industry changes by the month, new cutting and colouring techniques.

I'm afraid if you want a jam packed diary full of recommendations you have to put in free time occasionally :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is what puts me off hiring more staff. I offered an hour a week training with my staff (not current staff) and they bitched so much about it I called it off.

I would have loved some one to one training when I was younger. I was just chucked in a corner with a model, then critised when I had messed up.

I also have a wedding fayre this weekend and have asked staff to attend. Its four hours which they can claim back through their working week. I despair at offering staff the opportunity to get more clients and they are probably complaining about it behind my back.

At the moment, I'd be better off if I was the only one working. But I feel a huge responsibility to train up local people to build the economy and the standard in the industry. Just bear that in mind when your boss is staying back late to help you all!!

I think maybe the OPs original point is lack of notice or consideration towards out of hours activities such as child care for example?

A simple solution for boss and employee is to pre warn of potential training etc at interview

It isn't the boss organising it. It sounds like its permanant and long hours training. That isn't the issue though.

The only reason I know now is because they mentioned I need to get a colour modek for 4pm next tuesday. When I pointed out that was a little late I was told that we are now being given out of work hours training.

I too gave up paying for staff training. They didn't want it, moaned about it, even when it was in their work time.
They can remain mediocre as far as I'm concerned, as I no longer employ them.
If improving your craft isn't worth your time or attention, then you are just doing a job, and aren't capable of progression.
Salon owners, don't waste your money on these people. You can't force them to be into their craft.

Extra traing sounds amazing, lucky you! But yes, maybe a bit more warning should have been given incase of any out of work plans.

I think the OP is still waiting for the basic training she's been promised by her employer (in Australia).

She (not sure if it's a lady or not!) has posted other threads that show she's actually keen with a good attitude.

The way the training has been suddenly organised does seem a little inconsiderate.

Layercaeks, does this mean you still get some college/school time?
Or are they training you inhouse?

Sorry to disagree, but you still have to pay staff to attend training in the UK. It's called wages and it's part of employment law to ensure low paid staff are fairly treated. Requiring staff to work outside their normal hours for no pay is illegal.

It's rubbish to argue it's ok because it's benefits the employee or it's 'voluntary'.

Highly trained and motivated staff are the reason that successful salons are successful!

It shameful that staff have to feel grateful for receiving ongoing training. It's standard practice in many other industries so why should hairdressing be any different?

Sorry to disagree, but you still have to pay staff to attend training in the UK. It's called wages and it's part of employment law to ensure low paid staff are fairly treated. Requiring staff to work outside their normal hours for no pay is illegal.

It's rubbish to argue it's ok because it's benefits the employee or it's 'voluntary'.

Highly trained and motivated staff are the reason that successful salons are successful!

It shameful that staff have to feel grateful for receiving ongoing training. It's standard practice in many other industries so why should hairdressing be any different?

Totally agree with you. So many liberties are taken in this industry and stylists are expected to still be motivated. Lots of employers take advantage on stuff like this and their staff are expected to be grateful for it.

I get trained every Tuesday afternoon for 4 hours and don't get paid. Should I be getting pay for this like the rest of my apprenticeship?

Nobodies saying they should feel grateful that somebody investing time and money in them.
I just think staff should quit whining about what is essentially part of their job when done within paid, contractual working hours, which was my experience.

Nobodies saying they should feel grateful that somebody investing time and money in them.
I just think staff should quit whining about what is essentially part of their job when done within paid, contractual working hours, which was my experience.

I think what AcidPerm is saying is that it should be done in a way where it's fair and people are getting paid for doing extra hours in training. It should be made a industry standard across the board in every salon, just like it is in most sectors these days

I work in a salon 9-5 then after work i have a bar job to earn myself more money.
If there is extra training i would personally have to ring my other employer and then im potentially missing out on an extra £30/40.
If there would be training, there should be plenty of notice to get a suitable model and pay.
Im lucky enough to recieve plenty of notice and pay, also a very understanding employer obviously x

Ok. Would you be happier if your boss never bothered with extra training for you?
You can always say that you'd rather stay as you are. He won't mind as long as you're truthful about it.

Persianista who was that question directed to?

Persianista who was that question directed to?

It was just a general question to those reading the thread, as a rhetorical question. Not at any one person.
I'm trying to present a different point of view, as it's so easy to just go along with the 'employers are all baddies' attitudes I see on here.
Please don't anyone take offence, or think I'm aiming at them, I'm not.

Latest posts

Back