This feels a little weird

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss certainly isnt a 'baddie'. Absolutely love my boss, i class her as a good friend aswell as my employer.
I take all the training i can get, but i get paid for the training which is usually 2-4 hours after work plus about 2 weeks notice so i dont make plans or can make different arrangements for any plans i did have.
The issue isnt the fact training is being given out, its the fact plenty of notice hasnt been given

I get trained every Tuesday afternoon for 4 hours and don't get paid. Should I be getting pay for this like the rest of my apprenticeship?

Yes i think you should be being paid for the 4 hours training you are doing if its the apprentice training. Speak to your learning provider to check. Im in the process of recruiting & was told I am to pay staff for those training hours.

Maybe it's just me but I think a week is plenty of notice? If she's been told today that she needs a client next Tuesday @ 4pm then that's a weeks notice which isn't exactly leaving it last minute.

Yes it's not ideal - but it's still notice.

Personally I've always done training outside of my work hours and without pay as it has always been offered as voluntary training - paid for by employers once they knew who wanted to attend. If you did attend you got free training - if you didn't - you weren't punished. It just meant that when it came to promotions / recommending clients etc. you were passed over for people who HAD attended as they had the skills needed and showed more initative.

I plan to operate in much the same way when I hire staff.

I would think a week was plenty of time tbh! Iv got a training day next week and it's on my day off. Haven't thought anything bad of it except I'm excited to do the training days course with the salon again :) xx may be a hair geek but I bloody love the training days even if they are unpaid lol

Personally, i love my training days. Not only does it refresh what you already know, i find a hairdressing team bond too.

The whole point of being an apprentice is that you get rubbish money because you are being offered training.

There are plenty of apprentices that get low wages and no training because no one is the salon is willing to give up their time or commission to do the training.

What about the people that are teaching you outside of work hours are they being rewarded? Probably not so why should you!

Seriously weather it right or wrong just take it while you can. I'm a salon manager and train on my day off, no questions asked because would cost me thousands and all I have to do is turn up on some days.

Or leave and try telling a new boss you left your old job because you were given a weeks notice to get a model and had to do it in your own time.

We still get trainees to go out to get a model off the street- that's 10 minutes notice.

When i was an apprentice, my boss did nothing to help me.
She was a sad excuse for a boss, she did no training and i was basically used for cleaning a fetching peoples dinners.
So happy to be where i am now with my new boss who takes her own time out to teach me different methods and she taught me to believe in myself.
My previous boss was always knocking my confidence.
Training is so important in building confidence in new things

I wish my apprenticeship had been like it is nowadays, the training you get is brilliant, everything I learnt was on day release at college, salon was too busy to learn much, was forever shampooing or cleaning up! But I loved it! Now 30 yrs on & mobile I pay to go on training days, I'm by far the oldest one there but I love it! Always eager to learn! X

I have not even started schooling yet even though I have been with my salon for over 6 months. The only reason I seemed to be told at all was because I questioned the time that she wanted me to get a model for. Otherwise I don't think I would have been told. I love the idea of extra training to be honest especially as it is includong hairups and they stylist is super passionate. I just feel like the way it jas been organised is a little odd and so I thought I would ask about. Since I am new to the industry and all.

Also I am a girl to whomever asked.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would love and appreciate the opportunity for extra training and refreshment courses. I love learning new things. My boss promised the world as far as continued training was concerned when he offered me the job.... Since then it's never been mentioned :(
I have learnt a few things from him and obviously I find lots of interesting tips and new techniques on salon geek and other online resources but it's not the same as external professional training courses. X

I had a more in depth conversation about the course and it is just the training I need. I am really glad something is being done about my education as I was getting a little frustrated being in limbo. I was mostly concerned due to the lack of notice that a course was being built and the fact I had no idea how much it would take out of my time.

I'm actually pumped and I hope I can get some models soon. A lot of it seems like it will be mannequin work (setting and all that). The stylist who has organised it has even made up a time line for each week. The reason I only just found out was she only just organised it but it looks really structured and she wants to do training without the distraction of clients.

Latest posts

Back