This Morning and Fake Tan - Tune In !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I am holding the mousse of my well respected brand and it lists two of the ingredients mentioned earlier! It's SO tiny I can hardly read it so apologies if I get the spellings a bit wrong! Here they are:

Propylene Glycol
Dihydroxyacetone

So what now????:confused:

Sorry, I should have said earlier, every brand will contain Dihydroxyacetone, this is DHA. Let me see if I can find out what the other one is!

Apparently Propylene Glycol is a type of alcohol which is on the list of nasties presumably because it is a potential irritant. But if your skin doesn't get irritated by it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Apologies once again for totally not even seeing that DHA was on that list when I typed it out (I was just in robot mode, typing out a bunch of letters). The only warnings against DHA that I know of are not to lock yourself in a windowless room inhaling it (particularly if pregnant), and the above conversation regarding very high strength tanning solutions, though this is controvercial!

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/160296-new-sccs-rules-spray-tan-solutions-2.html

Information from sccs.

It advises that no higher than 14% should be used in cabins. The ones where you have no control over - where you will inhale a considerable amount of over spray.

Spray tanning is not like this - its controlled and extraction etc is used.

Until you have proof that over 14% is unsafe to use in spray tanning and not cabin tans, I don't think it's very fair to say that all companies who sell over 14% are just out to make money and are putting our health at risk.

It's exactly the same as what vita liberta has done stating that only their spray tan is safe.

Until I have concrete proof that tanning is bad then I will stop but until then I will keep using 14% and above.

Apparently Propylene Glycol is a type of alcohol which is on the list of nasties presumably because it is a potential irritant. But if your skin doesn't get irritated by it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Apologies once again for totally not even seeing that DHA was on that list when I typed it out (I was just in robot mode, typing out a bunch of letters). The only warnings against DHA that I know of are not to lock yourself in a windowless room inhaling it (particularly if pregnant), and the above conversation regarding very high strength tanning solutions, though this is controvercial!

Don't worry....I should have sussed that myself to be honest! Was too busy screwing my eyes up trying to read the names! Thanks for taking the time to do this!! xx

"Until you have proof that over 14% is unsafe to use in spray tanning and not cabin tans, I don't think it's very fair to say that all companies who sell over 14% are just out to make money and are putting our health at risk."

Nails, there are two points to consider here, and you seem to be only looking at one of them. I'm not going around saying it's unsafe to spray with over 14% DHA. I am saying it's ineffective. I hear and accept your experience that high DHA solutions work for you, and I cannot explain it, in just the same way that someone will swear to me that they believe in their Tarot Card readings or can see ghosts. I'm not going to argue with them, because I'm not them, and have not had their experience.

All I know are the facts, and these facts are that scientifically, the skin cannot absorb more than around 10-12% DHA. Cannot. Human skin has a limit.

So if companies are going around selling 20% DHA tanning solutions knowing full well that there is no scientific basis to what they are doing whatsoever, it's not a massive stretch of the imagination to think that they may quite possibly be just a little bit more interested in their bottom line than in just about anything else.

I've never said that 14+% tanning solutions are unsafe, but while there are SCCS recommendations suggesting a limit on the DHA% of solutions, and while the press is abuzz with rumours about tanning solutions, I just personally don't think it's a good idea to be bringing out higher and higher DHA percentages. If they were effective and did their job, then it would be worth looking into, but they're not. Whatever these products are doing to make the skin darker (if indeed they even are for more than 48 hours), it's got nothing to do with their higher DHA content, so why put more chemical onto the skin than necessary? Just because you want to be able to say that your product has 1% more DHA than the next guy? Is that really responsible business?

Latest posts

Back