Threading stuggles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarrieBeauty

Reaction score
I trained to do threading with Arch Angels back in July but I'm still not confident with it :rolleyes:

Eyebrows are the hardest, I can do a 'tidy up' but struggle with a re-shape. I have watched loads of videos on youtube to try and see some different techniques but they're all so fast with it and confident!

I'm so scared of taking out hairs that need to be there. And I just can't get into the corners so I end up plucking mostly! I left a tiny nick on someones skin but I don't understand how that happened?

And I also struggle with lip threading etc as I can never seem to get all the fine fluffy hairs out? I'm a pro with eyebrow waxing so I don't understand why I can't grip this?

Please help!

I Also done a threading course last year, couldnt pick it up at all! like you, I can only do a basic 'clean up' but not a new shape... I think it's all about having a natural skill... i stick to waxing now because im good at that x

I Also done a threading course last year, couldnt pick it up at all! like you, I can only do a basic 'clean up' but not a new shape... I think it's all about having a natural skill... i stick to waxing now because im good at that x

I'm glad it isn't just me! I'm amazed when I was other therapists do it so fast and precise. I wonder if it takes a huge amount of practice? I find myself always swaying my clients more towards waxing as I know I do a MUCH better job with that! x

I did not learn from anyone and started doing on my friends when I was 17.
when I did a course I found out I am much better than the instructor
I love it .. its just that we Asians have this in our blood that's why we are so quick and precise.
but it will take some time to build confidence and skills . just keep practicing . good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did not learn from anyone and started doing on my friends when I was 17.
when I did a course I found out I am much better than the instructor
I love it .. its just that we Asians have this in our blood that's why we are so quick and precise.
but it will take some time to build confidence and skills . just keep practicing . good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hear hear totally agree, I could not get to grips with either!

I've got the same problem!
I'm qualified, but it takes me ages to do an eyebrow shape. I find it hard to get the hairs at different angles, esp at the top/underside of the arch and close to the nose. I also find it hard to spot the lighter fine hairs people sometimes have lower on the lid. I get in a right tiz doing them:

So my plan..I'm offering a free brow shape with a half leg wax..so I can get some practice in. I'm thinking of doing one of Captials brow courses..it's only a day and I can treat it as CPD... might help.

Well I am half Indian and Threading wasnt in my blood at all! I taught myself and learnt the basic principles, but I did struggle with all the issues mentioned above. I learnt a lot by watching others and thinking about what they were doing. I have a colleague that learned in India and she said that for three months all she did was hold the skin for a client and watch the therapist. So don't expect to learn in a half day!

It helps enormously if your client understands how to stretch their skin. Some people have very soft, stretchy skin under the eyes and it's very easy to "nip" it. I've had expert threaders "cut" me and they had 30 years of experience. I learned to use my own fingers to stretch the skin as many of my clients just didn't understand what I needed. I'm right handed so I still struggle when I'm threading the right eyebrow as my left hand isn't very good at multi-tasking. Don't be afraid to get your client to reposition their stretch to hold the skin, and tilt their face too.

You need to thread against the hair growth, threading isn't a dominent hand activity so learn to use both hands or switch sides. Support the client's head as if you are making them up and work systematically. "Brush" the hairs with your thread to get them to lift up.

If you need to use tweezers don't panic - I just tell my client that I want to "think" about the last few hairs. Or that I need to see their brows in the normal relaxed shape, not a stretched shape.

The nick in the skin is likely to be down to the skin not being stretched properly, the trouble is the stretching is left up to the client so you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they're stretching the area you're working on enough, with a really taught stretch you'll find threading so much easier.
When I first started they told us to practice on our legs to get the technique and speed (you don't have to be getting any hairs out, we did it with trousers on and just practiced on top)
If you're doing a reshape and find you end up plucking a lot hide the tweezers so you don't have a choice but to thread and just thread one hair at a time when you get close to the brow shape, don't worry about speed I'm sure clients would prefer precise brows!
With regards to getting all the fluffy hairs out you just have to keep going until you've got them! I've found it best to work methodically for example if I'm doing a lip I do one side, then the other, then the middle so I'm not all over the place and I know I've covered everywhere, I hope this has helped at least a little bit but it does take a lot of practice, I'm sure you'll get there! :) just remember how important a good stretch is...also if someone is willing to lend you an arm or leg so you can practice just getting one hair out at a time that will also help!

Practise, practise, practise - thread toes or fingers in a mani/pedi. Thread chin hairs as part of a facial. Thread little hairs across the mons pubis in a bikini wax (much less painful than tweezers). Learn to grab your roll of thread and just tackle a few hairs.

Thread above the top of the eyebrow and wax or tweezer below. Thread mono brows over the bridge of the nose.

I put my thumb firmly on the start of the brow over the bridge and stretch to get access to the ones that are inside the eye socket, and I use the thread short in that area, winding it around my hand a couple of times.

I've got the same problem!

I'm qualified, but it takes me ages to do an eyebrow shape. I find it hard to get the hairs at different angles, esp at the top/underside of the arch and close to the nose. I also find it hard to spot the lighter fine hairs people sometimes have lower on the lid. I get in a right tiz doing them:

So my plan..I'm offering a free brow shape with a half leg wax..so I can get some practice in. I'm thinking of doing one of Captials brow courses..it's only a day and I can treat it as CPD... might help.

That's the exact same problems that I get especially the arch close to the nose! That's a brilliant idea 😊 I may do something similar so I get more practice in!

The nick in the skin is likely to be down to the skin not being stretched properly, the trouble is the stretching is left up to the client so you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they're stretching the area you're working on enough, with a really taught stretch you'll find threading so much easier.
When I first started they told us to practice on our legs to get the technique and speed (you don't have to be getting any hairs out, we did it with trousers on and just practiced on top)
If you're doing a reshape and find you end up plucking a lot hide the tweezers so you don't have a choice but to thread and just thread one hair at a time when you get close to the brow shape, don't worry about speed I'm sure clients would prefer precise brows!
With regards to getting all the fluffy hairs out you just have to keep going until you've got them! I've found it best to work methodically for example if I'm doing a lip I do one side, then the other, then the middle so I'm not all over the place and I know I've covered everywhere, I hope this has helped at least a little bit but it does take a lot of practice, I'm sure you'll get there! :) just remember how important a good stretch is...also if someone is willing to lend you an arm or leg so you can practice just getting one hair out at a time that will also help!

Thanks for your reply! I will definitely bare in the mind the stretching now, the client did have quite loose skin!

I find the fluffy hairs difficult because you can only see them at certain angles in the light, but maybe asking the client to move their head at a different angle will help?

I'm thinking of putting an offer on threading to get more people in, I get my confidence knocked quite easily and end up avoiding it all together! So I know the more people I do I'll get better hopefully!

Practise, practise, practise - thread toes or fingers in a mani/pedi. Thread chin hairs as part of a facial. Thread little hairs across the mons pubis in a bikini wax (much less painful than tweezers). Learn to grab your roll of thread and just tackle a few hairs.

Thread above the top of the eyebrow and wax or tweezer below. Thread mono brows over the bridge of the nose.

I put my thumb firmly on the start of the brow over the bridge and stretch to get access to the ones that are inside the eye socket, and I use the thread short in that area, winding it around my hand a couple of times.

Thank you for your reply! I will be sure to practice as much as possible!

I'm self taught, I've been doing it for 12 years. Main thing is practise practise practise.

I first started with practising on my legs, I drew a eyebrow shape and tried to thread around the shape, it helped build my confidence as I slowly picked up how to be precise.

Many years ago I worked in a salon where I taught students to thread but found half a day was not enough.

I did a one day course would say it took me a good 3-4 months before I was confident and that was with constant practice here's some I did today, it will just click all of a sudden if you just keep practicing ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1423347067.532498.jpg

I'm the exact same can really only get a clean up with the thread, did my brow waxing course last November and only did about 15 sets of brows max maybe? & i'm so much more confident in waxing, when tbh i thought i would have been the other way around did my threading course April last year x

I train with Salmas beauty academy in 2009 for threading and it was very informative, I suppose it depends on your teacher, Salma is very good and has lots of experience in this field. It does take practice to gain your speed but even now I take about 15/20 for a total reshape and 5 mins for a tidy x

I absolutely love Threading, I'm quite popular in my area. I was taught in India about 10 years ago and when it became really popular went and did a training course in UK for insurance purposes.

However I remember when I had my first client, the sweat was running down my back with the fear!! It takes practise, but you know what they say, practise makes perfect. As for catching the skin, it is down to the client to stretch the skin, however sometimes with all the stretching in the world and being as careful as you possibly can it can still happen once in a while.

Don't give up, you'll be great in no time and it's a good service, especially for people who are on medication or have a contra indication and can't have waxing.

I did a course in Jan and genuinely came away thinking, well that was a waste of money because I was awful.

Only now am I confident with it after a LOT of practise and the spa I just got a job in want me to offer it to clients.

Don't be afraid to take your time with it, the speed looks good but Is only helpful with larger areas like the cheeks/jaw. I don't ever rush brows, they are too important to ruin! if you finish with tweezers then there's no problem with that. Think of it as more of an HD brows treatment!!

Take your thread everywhere, that's how I got practise! x

I tend to struggle with the clients right eyebrow when im standing facing them. Do ye tend to do this from the left hand side of the bed facing them? Or do you go round to the right? hope this makes sense!!!

I tend to struggle with the clients right eyebrow when im standing facing them. Do ye tend to do this from the left hand side of the bed facing them? Or do you go round to the right? hope this makes sense!!!
So with the clients left eyebrow I sort of stand behind, and with the right eyebrow I stand in front of that makes sense? Is there an easier way do you think?

Latest posts

Back