Threadworms, yuck!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been following the thread on headlice and there have been some great suggestions, so I wondered if anyone had any advice on dealing with threadworms?

My daughter is 17 months and she's had threadworms 4 times that I know of. We don't get out much but she seems to catch them every time she's in contact with other people. I know a lot of people have them without showing any symptoms but really, do so many people have them?! And if so, how on Earth do I stop her from catching them?! Usually the first thing I know about it is when I feel them (disgusting I know) and we both have trouble sleeping, then I'll see one in her nappy. I'm extremely thorough with my hand washing and scrubbing under nails after I change her nappy and she doesn't touch her bottom as she can't get to it, so how is she passing them to me? My husband is either asymptomatic or somehow immune! I'm a real clean freak so it makes me feel sick :(

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Hi everyone! I've been following the thread on headlice and there have been some great suggestions, so I wondered if anyone had any advice on dealing with threadworms?

My daughter is 17 months and she's had threadworms 4 times that I know of. We don't get out much but she seems to catch them every time she's in contact with other people. I know a lot of people have them without showing any symptoms but really, do so many people have them?! And if so, how on Earth do I stop her from catching them?! Usually the first thing I know about it is when I feel them (disgusting I know) and we both have trouble sleeping, then I'll see one in her nappy. I'm extremely thorough with my hand washing and scrubbing under nails after I change her nappy and she doesn't touch her bottom as she can't get to it, so how is she passing them to me? My husband is either asymptomatic or somehow immune! I'm a real clean freak so it makes me feel sick :(

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Firstly although they are unsightly they are extremely common. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I had them as a kid in boarding school. The doctors is the best place to go, they prescribe a short course of tablets (and in dissolvable form) which the whole family have to take. The problem isn't so much with the worms but with the eggs which probably is why you see them appear a few times as they survive in the human body and hatch at certain intervals. The eggs are found in the garden, on others, people that bite their nails are prone to getting them. ( you may have a friend that had some eggs under her nails, touched baby, baby put fingers in mouth, eggs swallowed and the cycle starts again. There is a lot of info on the Internet but my suggestion is definitely the sachets from the docs to remove the worms and the eggs. Keep hands washed continually which you do anyway. HTH. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou :hug:
We've all taken the medicine from the doctors 3 times, yucky stuff! We had it in the form of a banana flavored syrup that we had to repeat after 14 days to try to break the cycle. I think we must be being reinfected by other people, it's very frustrating! I feel like setting up a decontamination station in my porch :lol:

I don't suppose there's anything we can eat (or smother ourselves in if necessary) to deter them?! Like tea tree with headlice?

I got stuck in a cycle of scabies once and that was horrible too!

Do have a look on the Internet. ..I know this probably is not recommended as such, as there will be conflicting advice but it will certainly give you an idea of possible 'result actions' that you could take that may help. I feel your pain. .I had the same with ringworm on my legs. .. Again in school.. Once I left I was fine and everything went away. Kids aren't the cleanest and probably even worse when there is no parental guidance. We weren't even allowed baths. ..! :eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't forget to wash all the laundry/bedding/ towels at 60 degrees if you can. 30 or 40 is just not hot enough imo. I think you can put soft toys in the freezer for a week if you can't wash them.

I don't suppose there's anything we can eat (or smother ourselves in if necessary) to deter them?! Like tea tree with headlice?

Wow i thought you was asking if smothering yourself in tea tree & headlice would help haha! I had to re-read it

17 months she's prob on the floor a lot , do you have a cat or dog ? Or maybe visit some one with one? Maybe there pet needs a worming treatment ,

They do get into the soil in the garden ,

It's an old wife's tail but maybe there's some kind of truth in it? But eating raw carrots is supposed to help get rid , for people and pets ,

I don't know if she can handle eating raw carrots at her age ? My kids wear eating machines at that age some kids aren't ,

I have 4 dogs and admit I don't worm as often as I they say you Shuld, but I do give them carrots to munch often , good for there teeth lol .
and when they have had there tests witch is way to often for one thing or another mostly cos ones epileptic, & for heart worm pills they check for other issues , and when we moved from Europe to USA with them for health certificates and things ) so far they have never had any parasites.
Knock on wood .

Dont be to hard on your self , It's probably not that she's getting them repeatedly , its more likely its the same lot just not gone they can be stubborn ,
X

Thanks again for your replies everyone! I will have another look online as what I've been doing doesn't seen to be working, or at least not permanently! My husband prefers his carrots raw so hey, maybe there's some truth in it and it's got to be worth a try if she can chomp them. Thinking about it, I do wash everything at 60 or 90 degrees when I first find a worm but my daily washes are only at 30, so I'm going to try switching them to 60 and see if our clothes survive :lol:

One of our relatives has a cat and they take her in the garden a lot, her symptoms do seem to loosely coincide with those trips but I'd shrugged it off as the info I read online said they couldn't catch them from animals but I'm starting to wonder if that's entirely correct!

Biocare herbal remedies have a product that will get rid of these gently ...I would go into your local health shop and inquire.

I have used them to treat both children and animals..the herb used has an active ingredient which dissolves the outer casing of the parasite and its eggs killing them.

The problem with thread worms is that the medicine kills the worm but not the eggs. If she has a large egg burden then she will keep getting them.
They are spread by poor hand hygiene ie scratching anus puts eggs under nails and then she puts fingers in mouth and ingests more eggs.
Treat her once a week for a month. This will kill any new hatchlings before they have chance to lay more eggs around the anus, a single female can produce 15,000 eggs. You may then want to treat her a month later.
The big big thing is washing her hands after toilet and before food, also if you see her with her fingers in her mouth take them out. Itching around the vagina is also common in girls so watch out for this too
Hard I know. My daughter had them on and off for 6 months last year. It was a real pain.
Also I am pretty sure the worms pets have are not thread worms. I could be wrong though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I read somewhere once that threadworms hate garlic so you could try eating lots of that... Someone said that they used to chop up a garlic clove and swallow it like a tablet! X

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

it's probably not the best thread to bump up lol but best to know that this is very easy to get as eggs are transferred from underneath fingernails and into the mouth. I have thankfully not had to deal with it in a long time but in kids... it happens a lot and the entire family has to take the medicine... worms... they gross me out completey!!! Good Luck :hug:

it's probably not the best thread to bump up lol but best to know that this is very easy to get as eggs are transferred from underneath fingernails and into the mouth. I have thankfully not had to deal with it in a long time but in kids... it happens a lot and the entire family has to take the medicine... worms... they gross me out completey!!! Good Luck :hug:

I has a parasite when I had my lasy colonic :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have heard that milk with added crushed garlic will work but I doubt she will drink that at her age.

Signs to look out for apart from the obvious anal itching are itching of the nose (nose picking by children) eyes and ears.

I agree that all family members must be treated, and do a 95 degree wash in the washer to eliminate any there. Then wash as hot as possible, preferably 60.

Good luck, I hope you all feel better soon x

Just two words.

Unwashed salad.

Threadworms are not caught from dogs or cats but roundworms are which is different. Like everyone said it's the eggs that are the problem. Dont let her stratch her bum area esp at night. Give her hands a good scrub in the mornings and use a nail brush. Help stop re infection.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh my goodness - unwashed salad! Yuck! I'll never look at a lettuce leaf in the same way again :Scared:

Thankyou for all your suggestions, I think anything is worth a try! I hate critters :cry:

Latest posts

Back