Throat and cough

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaC

Reaction score
not really sure where to post this if I am honest. I have been unwell for about 4 months with a horrendous cough. 4 weeks ago I lost my voice...was put on antibiotics which didnt help and an inhaler. the cough got so bad that a few days later i collapsed not breathing..ended up in hospital on oxygen for a few hours. following week was put on steroids which have helped the cough a good bit. but since this all started from 4 weeks ago..i dont have a voice and the more i talk the worse it gets. i even went shopping with a pad of paper and a pen..writing things down for shop assistants to try and save my voice. I have had billions of blood tests done and a spriometry test..and they cant find anything wrong. anyone have any remedies for the loss of voice...i have been down the honey and lemon and steam route.

LindaC xx

I have suffered almost exactly what you have described for the past 6 years - it used to come on during the middle of July and last until September - I was prescribed a brown inhaler (cant remember the name of the drug LOL) - I too had blood tests, lung function test etc. and nothing was conclusive.

Last year it didnt happen and this year too I thought I had "grown out of it" but it has appeared at the end of October. I have just got used to it. Sometimes the cough is so bad that I can be physically sick.

It is not pleasant but if you find something that works, please let me know.

suffered form the same thing a few years ago...bloody awful...codine is brill..it is a cough surpressent...also found jakemans troat and chest lozengers brill...any chemist or supermarket sells then....good news all test are clear...had my cough etc for 3 months..then just went...used to have the flu jab and i think that did not help since not having it ...touch wood have not had anything like that again...get well soon hun.xx

I had a similar cough a while back this year, I went to my doctor as there was a nasty bug going round that needed antibiotics. He took a look and said that there was nowt wrong with my throat. He then asked if I suffered from acid reflux, which I do and it was particularly bad at the time due to stess in my personal life. He put me on Omneprazol (not sure if that's the right spelling) and it's all sorted. I had a endoscopy which confirmed that I have a small hiatus hernia.

Strangely enough I changed work places and my new work colleague has exactly what you describe. She'd lost her voice and been ill for months. I happened to ask if she suffered from acid reflux and she did very badly. She went back to her doc who had been telling her for months and months that it had been a virus and she'd been on course after course of antibiotics. She mentioned the acid reflux and again following an endoscopy, confirming a hiatus hernia, and a course of Omneprazol her throat is fine now.

It may not be this, but it could be worth giving it a mention to your doc. :hug:

thanks for all the suggestions...looks like i keep it till it gets better...i just feel that the docs think there is nothing wrong...

i havent got acid reflux though..thankfully...smiles...though i have been sick a couple of times...the blue inhaler only works for a wee while...I give up...lol

will try the jakemans lozenges though as i havent tried those...

thanks again

LindaC xx

the trouble with coughs ect is you start with a viral cough...shift it then get a bacteria cough...just goes on and on...friggin nightmare...oh yeah just remembered i know this is random but a few shots of sambucca kills off everything...works for me...very warm and soothing and lets face it after a few shots you wont care as much...heehee

the trouble with coughs ect is you start with a viral cough...shift it then get a bacteria cough...just goes on and on...friggin nightmare...oh yeah just remembered i know this is random but a few shots of sambucca kills off everything...works for me...very warm and soothing and lets face it after a few shots you wont care as much...heehee

lol...that would be great...but for those that know me..im bad enough without the drink lol...im not really an alcohol person..though I do remember some extremely yummy freezing cold amaretto at an italian resteraunt...

LindaC xx

thanks for all the suggestions...looks like i keep it till it gets better...i just feel that the docs think there is nothing wrong...

i havent got acid reflux though..thankfully...smiles...though i have been sick a couple of times...the blue inhaler only works for a wee while...I give up...lol

will try the jakemans lozenges though as i havent tried those...

thanks again

LindaC xx

Being sick can be a sign of acid reflux. I don't ever get heartburn or what you would consider the usual symptons. Not trying to diagnose, but having seen my colleague suffer for 6 months with a misdiagnosis it may be worth your doctor exploring avenues other than the obvious.

chhers for all the help...though how do I turn round and tell the Doc..can we try thi..lol...but trust me I will be asking some questions...like..if i stop breathing and am put on oxygen...why did i stop brething in the first place lol

LindaC xx

Latest posts

Back