Throw away Nail files?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toots

Reaction score
Hi all,

When doing a Manicure and after filing the clients nails. Do I have to throw away the nail file? or can I spray it with Sanitising spray and use it on another client?

The trainer i had just sprayed everything with sanitizer,after her client, then infront of the next one, to demonstrate hygiene.. dont know if i'll ge my wrist slapped for that... ;)

I wasn't sure, what to say to my client, when she asked me if I was going to throw the nail file away after using it on her. I then just said " Yes ".
I know that you can sanitise your table and steel equipment, but then wasn't too sure about the nail files.

I always gave the client the file and orange stick after using it. With the result I was buying cheap emery boards. i solved it by buying crystal files and I am able to disinfect them after each use so it works out much better for me.
hth

I have the NSI nail files and it says disinfectable on the side of them so I always spray them with sanitiser after each client too.

Envy Nailz said:
I have the NSI nail files and it says disinfectable on the side of them so I always spray them with sanitiser after each client too.

Hi good thread as i was wondering the same just thought i'd spray them with sanatiser inbetween clients as Marie said!!! But where i've been in the past to have my nails done they never bothered with the files, bad eh as you don't know where each clients nail have been, god i'm cringing as i say that, really dread to think lol!!!:D

Hi Toots

I have regular clients who each have an envelope with their file in it which i keep and just renew their file when it needs it. I buy cheap files in bulk - its much cheaper - and ach client knows she has her own file and feels special.

Hope this helps :hug:

hugs

I thoroughly sanitise my files after every client, sometimes in front of the client to let them see my hygiene practises.
Obviously when the files are old and worn, you get rid...

I always dust off and sanitise mine. Its a such waste of money to throw them away after each client.

I always santisie my files in front of the clients although it was recommended to me that each customer has their own files, you give them the first set complimentarya dn charge them for the others after. the cost of the first lot ocovers the lot you gave them orgianlly and then from then you make a profit on the files as well.

HTH

I have always used a new file for each client, and after the service I give them the file to take home.

...for manicures I use a new file for each client.

In school we are taught to break both the nail file and orange stick in two and dispose of it in front of the client. In California you can fail your state board exam for not disposing of the nail file or orange stick in this way.

For enhancements I use sanitisable files and use them again on clients, but dispose of them before they get too raggedy!

Again, in California the State Board forbids us to store used files in plastic bags or envelopes for client's individual use as this can encourage bacteria.

Kx

Karen said:
Again, in California the State Board forbids us to store used files in plastic bags or envelopes for client's individual use as this can encourage bacteria.

Karen

What's their basis for that?

I keep individual files for clients in an envelope, they are sprayed before putting them in and sprayed when taking them out before starting the treatment. They are kept in an envelope to allow them to air dry and any wetness to evapourate. I can understand their reluctance if they were kept in a plastic bag as it gets all warm and moist, but curious about their thought process? :D

Thanks

Hey there Trinity Nails,

All sanitised implements have to be stored in a sealed airtight container to prevent them coming into contact with bacteria, dust, etc that may be floating about the salon. As plastic bags and envelopes are not air tight they are not considered sanitary.

The Californian state board is super hot on client health and safety and sanitation. I was amazed when I was first shown how to do a manicure the 'proper' way to pass the state board exam. It has been a real eye opener...

Kx

I never use the same file or buffer on anyone other than the first person to use it.
That is to say: for each new client, a new buffer block & 3 different files. When their appointment is done, I slap a rubber band around them, label them, and set them aside for their next appointment. When they return, i take them out and spray them EVEN THOUGH they've only ever been used on that client.
If they never come back, they go in 'my' pile that I use for myself (of course, only after liberally spraying them and letting them air dry LOL)

You are not supposed to ever use the same files/blocks on more than one person.
A sanitizing spray will NOT get all the germies.

On another note, I never tell clients I toss them because then they'll want free files. Phooey on that noise.
You want one for home? buy one LOL

Karen said:
Hey there Trinity Nails,

All sanitised implements have to be stored in a sealed airtight container to prevent them coming into contact with bacteria, dust, etc that may be floating about the salon. As plastic bags and envelopes are not air tight they are not considered sanitary.

The Californian state board is super hot on client health and safety and sanitation. I was amazed when I was first shown how to do a manicure the 'proper' way to pass the state board exam. It has been a real eye opener...

Kx

Thanks for taking the time to reply Karen :D

I find it fascinating how diverse opinions can be about what is 'sanitary' and what is not, and how is varies around the world.

I would have thought a the warm environment of a plastic bag would be ideal breeding ground for any stray bacteria, and the fresh air 'safer' as we're all exposed to any floating 'stuff' all day everyday without any major issues. I reckon if you sealed me in a plastic bag after a bath I'd be a disgusting mess after a few weeks :lol:

Boy you guys have to work hard at getting your licences don't you!

Thanks Chick :hug:

holliejayne said:
I always dust off and sanitise mine. Its a such waste of money to throw them away after each client.

my thoughts exactly!! that is what i do. dust them off with a nail brush and spray with sanitizer. (spray the brush as well of course!) lol!!;)

Latest posts

Back