Tip extensions breaking on the apex!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaMakeup

Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched through the forum to see if my problem has been mentioned before.

I have been doing extensions on friends to practice with GELeration on top.
All of them have had a tips fully broken from the nail plate, across the apex.

I have tried different adhesives, made sure i have fully dehydrated the nail before and put a suitable amount of adhesive on.

The only thing i can think of is when blending the tip on the nail plate it's making it weaker? However, i need a flawless blend for clear french polish.

Not sure if i need to build the gel polish thicker over the apex? Use a higher gritfile on the nail before. At the moment i am using a 100/180 lightly over the nail or i am blending it too much.
Please help me out!! I hate tips but most people want them!! :|

Hi are you applying geleration straight onto a blended tip? I don't think the geleration is strong enough to last more than a couple of days onto a tip, it needs a structure gel first,

I wouldn't use any grit file more abraisive than a 240 on the natural nail you only need to remove shine not remove any nail. Also a 240 should be enough for tip blending too.

yeah GELeration on top. I really don't like doing tips and i may scrap them from my treatments but it seems to be what people want more. I am not familiar with structure gel.

I was told that the reason they weren't sticking well was too light a grit file-so i went a bit stronger (although i did think it was too rough so i did it very lightly)
I have a friends wedding coming up and i have advised her not to have them as they dont last but she is adamant she wants them! not sure what to do for her. :irked:
any advise for this hopefully last nail tip extension treatment im doing!
thank you !! x

A gel polish system alone is not going to give you enough strength to support a tip for any reasonable length of time.
you need more strength at the apex as ElleBelle has said this can be done by using some sort of additional structure gel.

Hi,
ok thank you-i'll look more in to structure gels.
thanks x

Have you trained in enhancements? You don't have to use a gel for tge strength you could use L&P and then go on to your geleration application on top - that's if you are qualified to do this of course.

E x

I don't do geleration so can't offer any help. (sorry)!

But can't help thinking it would be such a shame not to offer tips any more, as you say, people do seem to want them and there is a definite market there which you would otherwise miss out on.

Good luck and hope you sort it xx

Yeah i did training in extensions and L&P but i prefer not to use L&P as i have a problem with the chemical inhalation in my throat.

I prefer the soak-off Gel as there is less trauma to the nail also. Although i want to get in to nail art with acrylic later.

I will see how i get on with Jessica GELeration Build, see if i can thicken it up on the stress point and hope they last.

thank you all so much for your help! Your all great,
xx

Latest posts

Back