Tips, bit of an issue with a staff member

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all hope you are well. I have a new assistant and she's fab! I have one issue though she is taking all the tips!

I do not for one moment think this is malicious. I think it's down to her being naive and new to the industry .

She usually takes my bills as I'm then consulting with another client. I have over heard these phases recently.

"Ah can you make that up to 40 please"
"Can you add a tip to that bill please"
" Can I add a tip"

None of these are directly naming a member of staff and on a couple of occasions she has shampooed.

But after a couple of people have (rightly on these occasions) given her a tip she seems to think all the tips are for her if she has shampooed /made a drink or taken their bill!

How can I approach this. I don't want her feeling like I'm accusing her but this is not how we work. If my therapist/colourists has just worked 4 hours with this client then a shampoo isn't going to get a ten pound tip!

Would be a good idea to have a quick word with her just explaining how the tipping works in your salon. What normally happens if she shampoos for you but you do the actual treatment? Would you normally give her a share of the tip such as 10% or do all staff split equally at the end of the day/week or do just the staff doing the actual treatment take the tips?is it normal procedure to ask clients for tips? That would put me off going back due to the pressure.

Would be a good idea to have a quick word with her just explaining how the tipping works in your salon. What normally happens if she shampoos for you but you do the actual treatment? Would you normally give her a share of the tip such as 10% or do all staff split equally at the end of the day/week or do just the staff doing the actual treatment take the tips?is it normal procedure to ask clients for tips? That would put me off going back due to the pressure.
No we never ask for tips. I see that as rude x

I do not for one moment think this is malicious. I think it's down to her being naive and new to the industry....
How can I approach this. I don't want her feeling like I'm accusing her but this is not how we work. If my therapist/colourists has just worked 4 hours with this client then a shampoo isn't going to get a ten pound tip!

No, it’s not down to her being naive and new, it’s down to you for not acting as a boss.
She’s employed so it’s up to you as her boss to set out your expectations on Day 1 in a clear and direct manner so that there’s no room for uncertainty. During the probation period, you need to deal with any issues immediately as they arise and definitely don’t expect her to just figure out what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

I'm still learning myself only being in business 21 months, I don't know everything...... and I'm very hard on myself already!

That's why I was asking for advise.

"Ah can you make that up to 40 please"
"Can you add a tip to that bill please"
" Can I add a tip"

Are these her words or are they the clients? It's not clear from your post

Are these her words or are they the clients? It's not clear from your post
Sorry, yeah these are examples of what clients say while paying their bill. X

What is your policy of sharing tips?

I would sit her down and explain that she only gets part of the top for shampooing and that if she is not involved in the treatment it goes to the hairdresser!

Sorry, yeah these are examples of what clients say while paying their bill. X

Ah. I thought you meant the staff member was asking the client to top up her bill etc.

What is your policy of sharing tips?
We all get our own tips.

I have thought about sharing it but it seems to create more work.

No, it’s not down to her being naive and new, it’s down to you for not acting as a boss.
She’s employed so it’s up to you as her boss to set out your expectations on Day 1 in a clear and direct manner so that there’s no room for uncertainty. During the probation period, you need to deal with any issues immediately as they arise and definitely don’t expect her to just figure out what’s acceptable and what isn’t.
Agree.

I worked in a salon doing shampooing many, many years ago. When a client paid and left, unless they specified part of the tip was for me (or gave me something directly), all the tip went to the hairstylist, and so it should. The hairstylists I assisted there were happy to give me a wash/blow dry/style for my Saturday nights out which was worth way more to me than any tip was - and also got them more business from my friends as I was a walking advertisement!

Later in my career, I worked doing reception at a spa, where the therapists were required to give 10% of their tips which was then divvied up amongst us at the front desk. This was a very high volume spa (30+ therapists with 150+ clients per day) so as a front desk team we did a lot of problem solving and juggling and not one therapist ever complained about tipping us out - they didn't envy our job!!

I'm currently working as a Beauty Therapist at a day spa but occasionally assist at the front desk. If a client is paying and she's had two of us do treatments on her, I always ask - 'how would you like the tip divided?' Ultimately, it's the client's money and if they say 'it doesn't matter,' I remind them that yes, it does matter, and then they will say ok, £5 for her and £7 for her, or however it is they wish for it to be divided.

You need to speak up straight away, and perhaps have this added to your list of things to go over during future training.

Best of luck to you.

Set up tip jars for your staff and explain how to use them. Or if you have an EPOS till I think there's a facility on those to note down tips which doesn't affect your accounts.

I worked in a salon doing shampooing many, many years ago. When a client paid and left, unless they specified part of the tip was for me (or gave me something directly), all the tip went to the hairstylist, and so it should. The hairstylists I assisted there were happy to give me a wash/blow dry/style for my Saturday nights out which was worth way more to me than any tip was - and also got them more business from my friends as I was a walking advertisement!

Later in my career, I worked doing reception at a spa, where the therapists were required to give 10% of their tips which was then divvied up amongst us at the front desk. This was a very high volume spa (30+ therapists with 150+ clients per day) so as a front desk team we did a lot of problem solving and juggling and not one therapist ever complained about tipping us out - they didn't envy our job!!

I'm currently working as a Beauty Therapist at a day spa but occasionally assist at the front desk. If a client is paying and she's had two of us do treatments on her, I always ask - 'how would you like the tip divided?' Ultimately, it's the client's money and if they say 'it doesn't matter,' I remind them that yes, it does matter, and then they will say ok, £5 for her and £7 for her, or however it is they wish for it to be divided.

You need to speak up straight away, and perhaps have this added to your list of things to go over during future training.

Best of luck to you.
Great advice thank you. Love the idea of asking the client too xx

Set up tip jars for your staff and explain how to use them. Or if you have an EPOS till I think there's a facility on those to note down tips which doesn't affect your accounts.
Ah we do have epos, I never knew that either! Thank you xx

Latest posts

Back