Tips cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charshaun

Reaction score
Please Please help!!!!
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about one of my clients whose tips were cracking down the centre of the nail. A few of you very kindly told me that the only way the cracks will cdrack vertically down the centre of the nail and not affect the overlay is by putting the nail between your teeth and closing thus putting stress in the centre of the tip and cracking it. This made complete sense as my client is a nail biter so problem solved!!

So why when I have now come to do her sister she has just phoned to say that 5 of her nails have cracked and now the overlay is coming off (s gel). I am fanatical about fitting tips correctly and even received praise this week in my assement from an OPI trainer (did express acrylic and microwrap). Ahh the frustration is going to be the death of me.

Can anyone think what else is causing these tips to crack. What would you say the main reason for tips cracking are?

LOL charlotte

charshaun said:
Please Please help!!!!
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about one of my clients whose tips were cracking down the centre of the nail. A few of you very kindly told me that the only way the cracks will cdrack vertically down the centre of the nail and not affect the overlay is by putting the nail between your teeth and closing thus putting stress in the centre of the tip and cracking it. This made complete sense as my client is a nail biter so problem solved!!

So why when I have now come to do her sister she has just phoned to say that 5 of her nails have cracked and now the overlay is coming off (s gel). I am fanatical about fitting tips correctly and even received praise this week in my assement from an OPI trainer (did express acrylic and microwrap). Ahh the frustration is going to be the death of me.

Can anyone think what else is causing these tips to crack. What would you say the main reason for tips cracking are?

LOL charlotte

Hi Charlotte

I am in no way an expert... but if you fit a tip that is slightly too small... you will often get this problem.

Try to fit with a bigger tip and tailor it so it fits perfectly with no stress at all prior to application of the product.

HTH Xxx

CadenceAlex said:
Hi Charlotte

I am in no way an expert... but if you fit a tip that is slightly too small... you will often get this problem.

Try to fit with a bigger tip and tailor it so it fits perfectly with no stress at all prior to application of the product.

HTH Xxx
also if you get primer or scrubfresh or equivelant on the tip, can cause the tip to crack

Thanks for the replies but I know to use a bigger tip and do so quite often. I don't use primer or scrubfresh as don't need to with Bio Sculputure Gel. Really at a loss but its affecting mu confidence.
Charlotte

charshaun said:
Really at a loss but its affecting my confidence.
how many of your clients is this happening to?

I have had 3 in total and 2 are known nail biters but have not confessed to being part of the problem. Thats why its affecting my confidence because I keep thinking its me. I always check with the client that the tips feels fine ie; no pinching or feels tight and I spend probably more time than I should fixing the right tip. As I said I have just been praised for excellent fitting from my recent OPI trainer! I still need to know why this is happening though and overall causes of tip cracking.

Charlotte

charshaun said:
I have had 3 in total and 2 are known nail biters but have not confessed to being part of the problem. Thats why its affecting my confidence because I keep thinking its me. I always check with the client that the tips feels fine ie; no pinching or feels tight and I spend probably more time than I should fixing the right tip. As I said I have just been praised for excellent fitting from my recent OPI trainer! I still need to know why this is happening though and overall causes of tip cracking.
ok, so out of the 3, 2 have been nailbiters, which leaves 1 unaccounted for...
I'd be asking her what she does for a living, does she type all day long and use her nails instead of her finger pads on the keys? repetitive stress on the tips can cause them to crack.
don't let it knock your confidence too much, we blame ourselves far too often when normally the reason things happen is down to our clients or their lifestyle :hug:

Thanks for those kind words. My client has just changed jobs to a receptionist so I imagine is keying in numbers on a phone system all day with office duties thrown in. I am goig to speak to her again tonight and will fix up making sure I have built a good strong upper arch, perfect fitting tips so i know without a shadow of a doubt its not me.
LOL charlotte

charshaun said:
Thanks for those kind words. My client has just changed jobs to a receptionist so I imagine is keying in numbers on a phone system all day with office duties thrown in. I am goig to speak to her again tonight and will fix up making sure I have built a good strong upper arch, perfect fitting tips so i know without a shadow of a doubt its not me.
LOL charlotte
let us know how you get on, it's nice to be able to follow-up and hopefully have a positive outcome :D

what tips do you use? If the tips are cracking are the acrylic/gel cracking as well.

When I took my nail tech course these are some of the reasons they said tips may crack vertically
-tip too small
-tip cut at wrong angle (no upward pressure when cutting)
-free edge not capped with gel completely

Just spoken to my client and established that both thumbs, index fingers and 1 middle finger cracked down the centre of the tip (using The Edge tips) but did not affect the overlay however client has picked them off!!!!! Discussed with her about mouthing her nails, she assures me they felt fine when they were put on and I sized/tailored quite a few of the tips anyway. First one cracked 2 days after application then other 4 went within 3-4 days.
Have agreed to replace at my own cost and will use new OPI tips to eliminate poor quality tips. What else can I do. Seems odd though that 5 fingers still perfect!

What do you think guys??

if i remember i have used these tips (the edge) and had the same problem with a client at first i put it down to the client been very heavy handed which she was and then used other tips which were abit stronger and had no probs after that.

Thanks

Yeh I have wondered if this was part of the problem only trouble is my local wholesaler only supplies these and sometimes its handy to nip down there and pick them up however if there is no problem with the OPI I defo will not be using The Edge again.
Charlotte

Sounds like she is putting them in her mouth sideways and applying pressure, so many clients do it, they think it looks cute too.

If 5 nails are still perfect, there is no way I'd be replacing anything for free.

There are other reasons for vertical breaks .... incorrect mix ratio causing excessive shrinkage of the product being a common one too. But I agree with Nailzoo (as I often do) and believe that the client is playing with them and that they are in the mouth. Seen it thousands of times.

Don't be so soft and give in ... once you start that game you'll be doing free nails every time a client has a break!! It is would be very silly and it sends all the wrong signals to your clients ... it says ... hello, I'm new at this and don't have confidence in my work. It says .. hello, I'm new at this and a soft touch who will do your nails for free if I get any complaints. Take my advice and do not start out this way with clients, it makes you look desperate.

Are the tips the correct ''C'' curve for the clients nails as using the wrong one...too deep a curve for the natural nail or too flat a ''C'' curve for the natural nail can put the tips under pressure and that can also cause cracking or lifting of the tip....Are you by any chance trying to pinch a better ''C'' curve (I know that you are using Gel but it can be done with gel too) as this can, if done too hard, cause the tip to crack down the middle.

Thank you Gigi for that kick up the bottom! I hear you but my client said that the first tip cracked after the 2nd day, had it been a week I would have charged her. its hard when you start up because you are trying to build up a regular client base so i thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt this time and this time only. The reason I lack confidence is because I am pretty inexperienced at this stage although desperately doing the best job that I can, always looking to improve as I am a perfectionist and have very high standards although sometimes I wonder why I am so hard on myself when I see some peoples work who claim to be in the business 15 years!!

With regards to the correct c curve I use tips that claim to fit most nail shapes however my client did not have really flat nails nor did she have a deep c curve either I would said fairly typical nails really. I don't think I have ever pinched a tip like you say as I know the importance of a proper fit. Am just swopping to OPI tips so am hopng this will be the end of the problem. I really hope so!!!

Charlotte (thanks for all your replies):irked:

charshaun said:
Thank you Gigi for that kick up the bottom! I hear you but my client said that the first tip cracked after the 2nd day, had it been a week I would have charged her. its hard when you start up because you are trying to build up a regular client base so i thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt this time and this time only. The reason I lack confidence is because I am pretty inexperienced at this stage although desperately doing the best job that I can, always looking to improve as I am a perfectionist and have very high standards although sometimes I wonder why I am so hard on myself when I see some peoples work who claim to be in the business 15 years!!

With regards to the correct c curve I use tips that claim to fit most nail shapes however my client did not have really flat nails nor did she have a deep c curve either I would said fairly typical nails really. I don't think I have ever pinched a tip like you say as I know the importance of a proper fit. Am just swopping to OPI tips so am hopng this will be the end of the problem. I really hope so!!!

Its often the college tutors who have been in the business that long who produce awful nails!!! And teach awful nails too! :eek: :lol:

charshaun said:

With regards to the correct c curve I use tips that claim to fit most nail shapes however my client did not have really flat nails nor did she have a deep c curve either I would said fairly typical nails really. I don't think I have ever pinched a tip like you say as I know the importance of a proper fit. Am just swapping to OPI tips so am hoping this will be the end of the problem. I really hope so!!!

Believe me I understand how you are thinking and it is a good and responsible way to think. Just don't let people 'put on' you. If you have been taught the correct way and are doing it, then use your logic ... if 5 are OK and some are not, then the some that are not have been tampered with. Explain this. If something basic was wrong, then the client would be experiencing the same thing on all her nails. Stand by your own corner and tell your client logically what you know to be true. Think about the signals that your actions send out and be careful.

Everything is a compromise. But clients need to be told the truth and not just given a free ride.

Latest posts

Back